PDA

View Full Version : what constitutes an emergency......

PixiePetal
14-09-2011, 07:12 AM
.......for going over numbers? or is there such a thing?

a minder friend phoned me this am early to say her ex mindees mum whose child has started school now phoned in tears as the plumbing has burst overnight and had to turn water off. They can't stay in house while it is sorted this morning - having building work done which is prob why it happened :rolleyes:

Now, as my friend has filled the place but I have a space I am having child who knows me well and I am her back up anyway. Mindee and whole family are so unsettled at the moment as family split a few months ago and it is really difficult for all, mum is a wreck and trying to hold it together - badly :(

Is this an emergency where you would say the child could go to original minder for a few hours - obviously best for child as she had been there since a few months old till last month - even though it would put her over numbers for a bit (not got rising 5 on certificate and child has not started full sessions due to staggered start at school :rolleyes: )

views please. As I said, she would not do anything illegal - I am having child for now - just for future reference

snufflepuff
14-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Only ofsted can say for sure (and I suppose even then it depends who you speak to!) but i'd guess probably not. In my head emergency means things like if your friend had to rush off in an ambulance with one mindee, she could leave her other mindees with you even if that takes you over numbers. Their parents would have to come to get them straight away though.

mama2three
14-09-2011, 07:26 AM
I would have presumed that an emergency would be more 'medical' , but im sure ofsted would determine each case individually - which unfortunately means inconsistently!

Surely if mindee would have been home with mum during the morning then mum could take him / her somewhere else whilst the water problem is sorted? Soft play or similar? or even just for a walk! Cant see ofsted classing this as an emergency.

rickysmiths
14-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Last year I was off sick an called my emergency cm. She called Ofsted and explained the situation and asked for an emergency Variation and was refused because she would have been over her numbers. She is an experienced and Outstanding cm. We were not impressed under the ciicumstances for only a couple of mornngs.

ajs
14-09-2011, 07:58 AM
I had a friends child last yr when mum went to a funeral and ofsted granted me it with 10 days knowledge as emergency care so I would think they take each case as it comes and only they could answer

PixiePetal
14-09-2011, 08:01 AM
I would have presumed that an emergency would be more 'medical' , but im sure ofsted would determine each case individually - which unfortunately means inconsistently!

Surely if mindee would have been home with mum during the morning then mum could take him / her somewhere else whilst the water problem is sorted? Soft play or similar? or even just for a walk! Cant see ofsted classing this as an emergency.

mum needs to be there with builders while the water situation being sorted. child is emotionally mixed up as it is and this has upset her again - to say nothing of the emotional state of the mother :( - she only found out the circumstances of split a couple of weeks ago. She thought by child going to CM she would find it more settled than staying at home this morning with a mum in turmoil.

Anyway as I said, I am having child for now so it is sorted today :) I mind a friend of hers so should take her mind off things for a while. I feel for mum too :(

Thanks for replys - my friend is not on forum so I said I would ask for opinions as there is always a good response

The Juggler
14-09-2011, 12:19 PM
i would say in this case this was not an emergency as mum was able to care for the child. If she was really incapable of looking after the child I think that would mean something like being in hospital etc.

Mouse
14-09-2011, 12:52 PM
My understanding of it is that you can go over your numbers without a variation if it's an emergency such as the usual cm is taken ill & you take the children in. But that is on the assumption that parents have been contacted to collect the child and must do as soon as possible. This wouldn't apply in your friend's case.

The other option is to apply for an emergency variation, which can be granted over the phone. It's then up to Ofsted to decide whether or not it counts as an emergency. For example, when flights were disrupted last year because of the volcanic ash, many childminders were stranded abroad. Ofsted granted a lot of emergency variations to allow other childminders to go over their numbers and have the children left without care as their cm was stuck somewhere. I tried to get a variation as one of my mums had to work extra days to cover some staff who were stranded, but Ofsted didn't class that as an emergency & wouldn't do it over the phone. So, who knows what they'd say in your friend's case :rolleyes:

Bananabrain
14-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I have questioned Ofsted about this and they said 'as far as rules and regs are concerned, there is no such thing as an emergency':eek: :eek: :eek:
As childminders we are obviously expected to be able to deal with any eventuality and still have an immaculate house at the end of the day:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
14-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I will be telling her that the opinion of the majority is not to do it but phone for emergency variation and see - although at 7.30 in the morning I doubt they would answer! :rolleyes:

Shame really as each case is different and with the mums current situation and having her family living abroad she is very low. CMs who have been with a family for 4 years can be closer than family and a great support system for them

Thanks all x