PDA

View Full Version : Childminding when your own child has a disability

Twinkles
13-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding numbers you can be registered for if you have your own disabled child ?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine is in the process of registering and at her initial inspection the inspector said she would only register her for two under 5's as she has a disabled daughter.

Her daughter is 7 and is at full time school. Her disability is mild and means she has occasional mobility issues. She is not in a wheelchair full time.

I feel this smacks of discrimination - or is that just me being grumpy ?

PixiePetal
13-09-2011, 01:06 PM
My friend has always had full quota of under 5s - her DD has arthritis and had mobility issues from day one! Friend only took on as many as she could get about safely with, so her DD was not compromised. When she couldn't get about she made sure mindees were all walkers so DD could use major buggy/wheelchair if needed. Also learnt to drive so when her DD could walk but not too far, they could all get about.

No problems registering her for numbers though

jane5
13-09-2011, 02:50 PM
That is discrimination :eek:

We would not be told that we can take less lo's if one of them is in a wheelchair so I would complain :angry:

blue bear
13-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I have never been limited and have two children with mobility issues. I'd query it myself.

sarah707
13-09-2011, 05:16 PM
It is discrimination.

If she has a small house or lots of children of her own or expressed concerns about coping with more children then that's another matter.

however if she is perfectly able to look after other children with her daughter there then she shouldn't be treated any differently to any other registering childminder.

I would suggest your friend takes legal advice.

xx

breezy
13-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I would query that :mad:
my dd has SLD and mobility problems, it's never been a problem with numbers, except in the mornings when I cant start work before 7.30am because the time it takes me to get her sorted, I also finish at 6pm so I can be there for her in the evenings, but these restrictions are MY choice not Ofsted.
In the school holidays it can be hard because I cant manage wheelchair and pushchairs, but I have a minder friend who helps me and dh works from home which helps.

lfishwick
13-09-2011, 05:28 PM
My 10 year old daughter has a genetic disorder - SLD, global developmental delay and some challenging behaviour. I have my full quota of children.

This is not right!!