PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health rating system

snufflepuff
13-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had to be inspected by Environmental Health as a food business, and be given a rating out of 5 stars?
I registered with the local EH when I first got my ofsted certificate and they told me I wouldn't need to be inspected. But they have now bought in the rating system and have asked me to fill in a form so they can decide if I now need inspecting or not.
I'm hoping not- if so i'm not going to be providing food anymore! I don't even do cooked meals apart from the occasional bowl of soup or pasta, it's just things like sandwiches etc....I'll be really annoyed if I have to do this because i know it's one of the things that parents look for. And i'd have to lower my fees to compensate for it.
I have heard of childminders in other areas who have had to ask parents to start providing food because of this....i'm hoping my area can be a bit more sensible about it but i'm not holding out much hope!

AliceK
13-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi

We are inspected here although I was never given a certificate or had any rating mentioned to me at my inspection. I think though that even if you only do cold snacks or store food that parents send in you will still need to be inspected. I know some childminders on here have been given ratings in their area.
The inspection is just common sense really, nothing much to worry about.

xxxx

nell57
13-09-2011, 11:07 AM
For the area that I live, it is my understanding that you still need to register with them and are still inspected. But we do have a choice whether we want to be part of the rating scheme or not. But every area seems to be different:rolleyes:

rosebud
13-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I just filled in a questionnaire, I think that was about 2 years ago and I haven't heard anything since.

justdaz
13-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi, I was sent a questionaire to fill in outlining what, if any food I supplied. Sections for warming food, handling packed lunches etc. I sent it off and got a reply to say they didn't need to inspect me.
I don't supply hot meals though do re heat sent in meals. I believe there is a star rating system in this area as a Child Minding friend has 5 stars!

Tealady
13-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Although Ofsted require you to register, it depend what your local authority deem necessary as to what they require. Might be best to ask some local childminders, if you know any, what has happened with them.

Some councils see childminders as low risk (like ours) and I have been waiting for an inspection since January. I made sure I got confirmation from them that they had my forms to show Ofsted as I'm due an inspection.

Councils are cutting costs... I have two children on my books, so whos more important to inspect me or the local chinese, restaurant, corner shop

Rubybubbles
13-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Here in Wycombe area of bucks we all got letters last week as from October they are going to start coming and inspecting on the 5* rating:rolleyes:

but from 30th Sept I will no longer be minding so they can poke around someone elses food cupboards:laughing:

rickysmiths
13-09-2011, 12:21 PM
When we had to Register 3yrs ago in Hertfordshire the poor Environmental Health Depts went into melt down. The number of 'Food Businesses' increased by 1500 overnight! They said they would never inspect all of us as they did not increase the number of staff to do inspections.

We are in the lowest rating in terms of risk so definatly not a high priority.

I filled in a form and didn't even get an acknowledgement when I returned it. They inspected about 5 or 6 of 50+ minders in our area and that is all that has happened.

Vickster
13-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I got inspected and got 5*s. It was very informal. She went through the childminding food booklet that I completed months ago and then asked questions, we had obviously cleaned the kitchen, but she did not look in any cupboards or the fridge.

snufflepuff
13-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Do they just turn up or do you get warning?

pinkbutterfly
13-09-2011, 07:10 PM
I got 4*. Got pulled up on not having a heat probe or whatever it's called for checking the food is hot enough (even though I explained I never reheat therefore I do not need it), not having food safety training and was told when he looked in the freezer that 'he saw colder'... However the childminder ratings are not displayed on their websites and we do not need to display the certificate so it doesn't really matter. Other food businesses have to display a green sticker in the window ... lots got 3 so I'm quite proud out of my 4*.

Bananabrain
13-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I got 4 stars mainly because I had wooden chopping boards.
Oh, and I argued the toss about children eating raw cake mixture. :laughing:
I don't think she will be coming back anytime soon.
There are about 15,000 kebab shops in this area that will probably take priority:laughing:

Bananabrain
13-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I got 4*. Got pulled up on not having a heat probe or whatever it's called for checking the food is hot enough (even though I explained I never reheat therefore I do not need it), not having food safety training and was told when he looked in the freezer that 'he saw colder'... However the childminder ratings are not displayed on their websites and we do not need to display the certificate so it doesn't really matter. Other food businesses have to display a green sticker in the window ... lots got 3 so I'm quite proud out of my 4*.

I was told I should display the certificate in my front window:laughing:

Cath3110
14-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I got inspected 2 weeks ago and got 4*s. She went through the childminding food booklet, then asked questions and looked through my fridge.
The only action I was given was to get a temperature probe.:)

jellybean cc
14-09-2011, 04:22 PM
We got a 5* about two months ago, the guy was here over an hour, asked loads of questions, inspected everywhere even took out knives, forks from cutlery draw to see if they were washed properly.

Have been told to get fly nets at window, must wear different cloths in the kitchen to the rest of the house so will probably be a 4* next time as this will not be done..lol

onceinabluemoon
14-09-2011, 04:29 PM
We got a 5* about two months ago, the guy was here over an hour, asked loads of questions, inspected everywhere even took out knives, forks from cutlery draw to see if they were washed properly.

Have been told to get fly nets at window, must wear different cloths in the kitchen to the rest of the house so will probably be a 4* next time as this will not be done..lol

is that you should wear different clothes in the kitchen to the rest of the house? Does this mean an apron or a whole set of 'whites'?

Blooming daft for a CM...

gigglinggoblin
14-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Am quite surprised at some of these replies, I thought my guy was thorough!

First inspection took over 2 hours, he looked in cupboards and went through safer food booklet. Just been reinspected and he was here about an hour, did the same but briefer. I asked why he needed to come again when he said I would just get a questionairre in the post, he said last time I was rated D because I hadnt been up and running long enough for him to see management properly. This time I was rated E which he said is as high as it goes for cms so I will get a postal questionaire in 3 years.

I wouldnt stop doing foor just because of EH, its inconvenient but not awful