PDA

View Full Version : Do I just charge by the hour?

kitty
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Sorry , panicking here, have a mum and dad coming tomorrow (mum's 2nd time) with a lovely little boy. He starts EY in September and will be part time for a few weeks. I normally just charge by the hour but don't no whether I should be giving a discount and charging an afternoon session only. Also, he'll be at a private school so will have more holidays than my girls, do I then do a daily rate including a discount? What sort of discounts do you apply ? I can't get my head around this sorry :panic:
Thanks
Kitty

miss muffit
10-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Kitty
I charge an hourly rate.... just wondering why do you want to charge a discount?

sarah707
10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Why would you give a discount? Sorry I don't understand...

He is taking up a place when he is with you, so I would just charge as normal.

If you charge by the hour, then just give mum your hourly rate and an example of what a day would cost her... make it clear what your overtime rate is and what you charge if he is off sick / during family holidays etc.

Good luck tomorrow! :D

kitty
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Just had a call from mum, can't make it tomorrow so rearranged for next week, really fed up this keeps happening to me :mad: Suppose I can sit down and drink a few glasses for wine now, rather than cleaning and get some more paperwork together over the next few days, but still annoying.

re; discount, probably the wrong word, just thought that the daily rate/a.m/p.m sessions some charged were slightly less than their hourly rate?
Thanks
Kittyx

sarah707
10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
What a blow when you are all ready to go! :(

Ah yes I see what you mean... some people do say £x an hour but £x a day and the day rate is slightly less...

Just be careful as parents sometimes think they are paying for a full day so they might as well use it... and they come later than you expect having done their shopping...

The trick is not to set any rate you might regret or resent in the future.

I really hope they come back to you next week. :D

breezy
10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I just charge an hourly rate keeps things simple for me!!!!!!!!!!!
hope they come next week and all goes well, you can relax and enjoy the sunshine tomorrow :)

manjay
10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
When I first set up I did an houly rate of £3.50 and a day rate of £32, so a small discount for a full 10 hour day. Having worked with it for a while I have decided to remove the full day rate and just charge everyone by the hour. Like Sarah says sometimes it encourages parents to use you for every last minute they have paid for. I have a mum who I charge a minimum of 2 hours after school. she turned up yesterday saying she had been sitting at home for an hour. I know she has paid but I couldn't imagine doing something like this myself. I have children who go to school every afternoon for 2 1/2 hours and charge for this time. If I were you I would do this until the child goes to school full time.

Ultimately you have to decide what you are comfortable in charging:D

amanda xx

miffy
10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I charge a daily or half-daily rate plus a session fee for before school and after school

You have to decide what suits you best

miffy xx

mrsb
10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I would definately just charge an hourly rate, that way you all know where you are lol:)

kitty
10-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick to an hourly rate, don't like the idea of parents mucking me about with pick up times!!

Am just going to chill out now and start trawling this wonderful forum again tomorrow for some more help on paperwork.

Thanks again you are wonderful!!!
Kitty
xxx

susi513
12-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats the beauty of childminding - you don't have to follow the herd, you can choose the way that works best for you and your family.

I chose to introduce a lower daily rate to encourage people to book the full day. Because over the years I've taken on lots of part time contracts and never been able to fill in the remaining hours. Eg taking on a morning only place will halve the potential income from that place.

So now everybody books full days which means my bank balance is healthier. And parents don't have to worry about getting here precisely at the same time every day, as long as they are here by closing time.