PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping when baby sleeps?

NicoleW
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I have two, 15 month old who is mine and an 8 month old. Both are asleep and I think I have food poisoning. I feel awful and really tired, what are the rules regarding having a quick half an hour nap whilst a childminding child is asleep (I'll be on the sofa and him in a travel cot next to the sofa)

christine e
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
No you should not sleep when they go to sleep and you should not be minding if you have food poisoning.

Sorry not what you want to hear

Christine

NicoleW
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
okay cheers.

jaja
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
send the little one home, you should neve sleep when you are working what is something happens when you are asleep? hope you deeling better soon xxx

Tinglesnark
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
send the baby home you nutter! can you get someone to come round to look after your lo? x get well soon x

Greengrass74
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
No you should not sleep when they go to sleep and you should not be minding if you have food poisoning.

Sorry not what you want to hear

Christine

I agree that she should not sleep but why should she not be minding with food poisoning, surely it is not contagious or am I missing something, did you mean that she should not be working because she is poorly.

The Juggler
12-09-2011, 01:06 PM
oh hon hugs. send baby home and go to bed.

Greengrass74
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
oh hon hugs. send baby home and go to bed.

Agree you need to rest

Mamma4Ya
12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Get well soon.

FussyElmo
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Hope you are feeling better but I do agree with the others you raelly need to send the baby home and get someone to help you with your child if at all possible. Yes I know thats easier said than done.

christine e
14-09-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree that she should not sleep but why should she not be minding with food poisoning, surely it is not contagious or am I missing something, did you mean that she should not be working because she is poorly.

If she has D & V then she should not be working and food poisoning can be contagious
http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/is-food-poisoning-contagious

Christine

rickysmiths
14-09-2011, 07:02 AM

As a registered Food Business she should close until she is clear of any food poisoning. Yes it can be transfered form one to the other this is why we have had horrible Ecoli outbreaks where schools homes for the elderly and hospitals have had to close their doors and there have been fatalities.

Food poisoning should also checked and confirmed by the doctor that that is what it is and if it is reported to the Environmental Health Dept so they can investigate the source if they need to.

This also applies to her business as a childminder.

Never minimize or under estimate Food Poisoning always take it very seriously.

christine e
14-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Hope you are feeling better today Nicole but as Rickysmiths says never underestimate food poisoning

Christine

buzzy bee
14-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't really see anything wrong in sleeping while they're asleep... parents sleep at night while their children are asleep!! As long as all the doors are locked and they're all in cots and safe I don't see a problem.

Hope you feel better soon xx

appleblossom
14-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't really see anything wrong in sleeping while they're asleep... parents sleep at night while their children are asleep!! As long as all the doors are locked and they're all in cots and safe I don't see a problem.

We must check sleeping children regularly. We cannot do that if we are asleep.

khlwomitchell
14-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Hope you feel better soon xx

is it illegal, as in against our registration certs?
i drifed off whilst reading for ten mins today.... uh oh!
i have my own baby asleep as well as my mindee and i dont kip but if i was thinking of it would get my movement monitor out
Baby was next to you and to be fair thats not neglectful as you'd have been catnapping and aware of baby xx
but yucky poorly feeling would have sent baby home and rested!
get well soon xx

Greengrass74
14-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I might get shouted at now but I am really not comfortable with the sleeping whilst LO's are asleep.

We are working so should not be sleeping, (I can't think of any other job where you can sleep whilst on duty) we are given the responsibility by parents of looking after their children, and this we cannot do whilst we are asleep.

I understand what others have said about parents sleep at night whilst their children are asleep, but this is during the day and we are being paid to look after their children. I tend to do daily diaries and other paperwork or tidy up, get ready for the afternoons activities etc. whilst our LO's are sleeping.

I am sure there are those of you that will disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

Just a thought what do people have in their SLEEPING BABY POLICY ours states
We will regularly check your baby when s/he is sleeping, both in person and by using a baby monitor. We will record these and the total time slept on the record sheet.

Chimps Childminding
14-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I might get shouted at now but I am really not comfortable with the sleeping whilst LO's are asleep.

We are working so should not be sleeping, (I can't think of any other job where you can sleep whilst on duty) we are given the responsibility by parents of looking after their children, and this we cannot do whilst we are asleep.

I understand what others have said about parents sleep at night whilst their children are asleep, but this is during the day and we are being paid to look after their children. I tend to do daily diaries and other paperwork or tidy up, get ready for the afternoons activities etc. whilst our LO's are sleeping.

I am sure there are those of you that will disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

I agree!! As much as I would love forty winks sometimes when the lo's are asleep, as you say we are at work and are responsible for the children in our care. What would happen if a fire were to break out whilst you were sleeping on the job :eek:

I wish I did something constructive whilst the lo's are asleep like you Dave, but I just pop on here to catch up instead :D

Greengrass74
14-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I wish I did something constructive whilst the lo's are asleep like you Dave, but I just pop on here to catch up instead :D

I didn't want to mention that I also go on here too :blush:

Chimps Childminding
14-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't want to mention that I also go on here too :blush:

OK - I won't tell if you don't!!!:D

mushpea
14-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I dont think its right to work if you have food poisening,,, have you been to the docs to confirm its food poisening and not just a bug? did the doctor say it wasnt contagious?
as for sleeping whilst mindee is asleep I personaly wouldnt do it for all the reasons stated but then what do you do if you work overnight? do you sleep whilst the baby is asleep then? do you set your alarm every 30mins to check on the baby as per regulations? and if not how is this any differnt to sleeping during the day?

rickysmiths
14-09-2011, 10:15 PM

We will regularly check your baby when s/he is sleeping, both in person and by using a baby monitor. We will record these and the total time slept on the record sheet.

Doctors, Firemen, School Teachers on school journies, Childminders offering overnight care, Scout Leaders, Cub Leaders, Explorer Leaders, Guide and Brownie Leaders at overnight Camps and all the other Youth organisations that take children as young as 6yrs old away overnight. Members of the Armed Forces on Active Duty need I go on :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
14-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I dont think its right to work if you have food poisening,,, have you been to the docs to confirm its food poisening and not just a bug? did the doctor say it wasnt contagious?
as for sleeping whilst mindee is asleep I personaly wouldnt do it for all the reasons stated but then what do you do if you work overnight? do you sleep whilst the baby is asleep then? do you set your alarm every 30mins to check on the baby as per regulations? and if not how is this any differnt to sleeping during the day?

I agree with this. Just to add we had a mindee stay with us last weekend. My 18yr dd was babysitting. He had dinner and a bath and was fast asleep by 7pm. He slept in the playroom downstairs, a room he is familiar with, my dd had the monitor in her bedroom upstairs. He woke at 6.45 am. She did not wake up and go and check him every 10mins or 30mins through the night in the same way I didn't with her when she was 13mths old and sleeping through the night.

No I wouldn't sleep in the day and the op, you should have sent baby home and then put yourself to bed and I hope you are feeling much better now.

It is hard sometimes though because we know how difficult it can be to call parents home and some are not very accessable during their working day. As cms we do seem yo have this inbuilt instinct to 'soldier on whatever'.

Greengrass74
15-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Doctors, Firemen, School Teachers on school journies, Childminders offering overnight care, Scout Leaders, Cub Leaders, Explorer Leaders, Guide and Brownie Leaders at overnight Camps and all the other Youth organisations that take children as young as 6yrs old away overnight. Members of the Armed Forces on Active Duty need I go on :rolleyes:

I agree that during the night there are people that do go to sleep and I am sure that the ones that do this have policies in place regarding night care, but we are discussing sleeping during the day when we should be awake and alert, unless we are feeling grog when if possible the LO should be sent home.

chez
15-09-2011, 07:31 AM

If this is the case tho when would someone like my setting sleep we are offering 24hr childcare

onceinabluemoon
15-09-2011, 08:21 AM
If you have food poisoning you should not be working at all. Food poisoning caused by Salmonella, Campylobacter, E.coli,and norovirus are all extremely contagious. If the 8 month old baby catches it could be fatal.

WRT the sleeping question: At night the parent is fully aware and expecting you to sleep, during the day they are expecting you to be awake and looking after their child. I cannot imagine many parents would be happy to find their minders sleeping 'on the job' when they expect them to be working so no I don't think you should be sleeping when they sleep.

I hope you feel much better today (or are taking the day off).

little chickee
15-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Just want to point out that all the cub , scout leaders etc are voluntary so not actually classed as a job.

newbie1512
15-09-2011, 08:30 AM
In my opinion cm's should not sleep during the day. During the day we are paid to take care of the child/ensure safety and be prepared to change at last minute, now if there is anybody like me, I am not at my best when I have just woken up. In fact you are lucky to get a grunt from me until I have had my brew:) even if its a little nap I cant just jump up and go.

With regard to the overnight care then surely there must be a totally different policy and pay rate for this and yes cm's can sleep but with a monitor ect.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I dont agree that we should sleep and if any of my parents found out that I had been asleep during the day I dont think for one minute that they would be happy with it.

Just my opinion :)

candlequeen
23-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I would not want to fall asleep whilst working, but if I get the opportunity and need some rest, I will take a lie down.