PDA

View Full Version : EYFS training done - planning

10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I have just completed Northants EYFS course and it was stressed that you need some version/combination of a learning journey/daily diary/scrap book for observations and photos but apart from "next steps" no written planning! This was queried several times but they were adament that formal planning was neither a requirement or wanted as evidence of good practice for childminders. Is this what your county are saying because if it is I will hardly need to change anything and it all seems more manageable. What if they are wrong (not in writing) would Ofsted accept this? Otherwise it was an excellent course and I feel much happier now.

Anni

sarah707
10-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Anni and welcome to the forum!

Cheshire are saying there needs to be clear daily planning individual to each child - but they will not say how much or what type!

They say that has to be down to the individual minder to decide depending on the individual needs of the child and the length of time the child is with you.

Forward planning can be about multicultural events, safety stuff, special days in the children's lives, seasonal etc, but 50% needs to follow directly from the child's interests, through careful observations.

There is a lot of free information about planning for eyfs on www.bromleycma.org.uk.

Hope this helps! :D

nell57
10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Anni,

cant really help you with your question yet, as I have not really had any EYFS training yet, which is typical for this area:rolleyes: just a quick over view. We have the first one on Tues covering the welfare requirements though

So will be interested in any comments you get, sure someone will be able answer

Helen

Straws
10-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Anni,

cant really help you with your question yet, as I have not really had any EYFS training yet, which is typical for this area:rolleyes: just a quick over view. We have the first one on Tues covering the welfare requirements though

So will be interested in any comments you get, sure someone will be able answer

Helen

Helen I'm from stoke are you going the chatterly centre for welfare course?

Straws

nell57
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Helen I'm from stoke are you going the chatterly centre for welfare course?

Straws

Yes on Tues

I from Sneyd green, are you far

Helen

Straws
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes on Tues

I from Sneyd green, are you far

Helen

Packmoor just outside biddulph were you at the fire training course today?

Straws

nell57
10-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeh:laughing:

Go on give me clue

Tatia
10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
They're really emphasizing the written planning portion heavily in my area. They've never even hinted that it was anything other than mandatory.

miffy
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Can't help - haven't done any training yet

There already seems to be some discrepancies looking at the replies - why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

miffy xx

kaz1501
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
It seems different counties are giving different advice! I went on a training day yesterday & was told that monthly/weekly written planning was not necessary. It should all be from the child's interests so no point in planning ahead. Observations, next steps & the child's all about me book were what are important.

Karen
x x x

MissTinkerbell
12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
The guidelines on what to plan are:

50% child-initiated activities - planned from observations and what you know about the child's interests.

50% adult-led activities - for which I would imagine that you would need to do some form of formal written planning.

Observations need to be 80% child and 20% adult activities.

12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It worries me that the training is so different across the counties! We were also told that one lengthy narrative obs per term and a few short ones each week would be sufficient for each child if that helps. No info yet on whether general (mostly welfare) info would be passed between settings or whether written progress reports and planning meetings would be needed - anyone else in Northants been told on their courses?

Anni

buildingblocks
20-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I think the long and the short of it is no one knows what is expected from the EYFS. I also think that there are differnet levels that are being advised. Idid an NCMA training at the ARM on Sturday and was told basic obs will be a post it note or a sticky label which you will stick into the childs folder. Baring in mind we were told this was a basic level. When asked she would not commit ti anything more than saying it was basic obs. i am guessing something like this will gain you a satisfactory (remember there is nothing wrong with a satisfactory) but possibly if you are doing more you may end up with a better grade

i could be wring of course.

Wendy Woo
20-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Cant help just yet not on trainin till july!!!!!
Just thought i would say hello
I have found the forum very helpful and supportive hope u do 2