PDA

View Full Version : what do you offer to after-school .. 7yo boys?

newandlearning
11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
hi...

I'm trying to decide what are the best activities to offer a 7/8 yo mindee after school?

When he came for his first visit my own 6 yo shared his DSi with him and they also went on the Wii.. however, I'm not sure I really think its a good idea for a mindee to be sharing or using such expensive games etc as I bought these for my family.. I don't mind occasional use by mindees but not every day...

Do you say such items are off limits to your own kids whilst the mindees are here? or would you allow everyone to use them? or would you suggest they bring their own DSi's if they want? :rolleyes: ...

or do you offer other activities completely? and if so what do you offer?

I've not had after school mindees for a good year so any advice would be great.. thank you all. x:)

sarah707
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't make a game my children are playing in the childminding areas of my house off limits to childminded children... so if I didn't want minded children to play with something it would be put elsewhere.

Older children use the crafts, play outside, have their machines if they want them (but I do not charge them) for about half an hour, go on the computer (but have to share time), watch a bit of TV, do homework, eat tea and go home :D

RachelE
11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
lego, lego and more lego!!

This has been a big hit for the ages between 3 and 11 this year!
I have a massive box of it so that they can all share it.

Otherwise, its garden play, vehicles, transformers etc.

My almost 10 yr old ds loves regressing and playing with castles etc!!

Rachel x

rosebud
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Anything outdoors as much as possible and K'nex, magnetix, marble run and craft activities when they can't go out.

FussyElmo
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
The x box is upstairs at the min but the wii is downstairs I allow them to use it at 5 oclock mindee goes at 530. Up to then we have has a snack usually done some sort of craft as he enjoys them.

My mindee likes to be outside or doing crafts he doesnt really play that well but you will soon find out what he likes :thumbsup:

miffy
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't suggest they brought their own ds's - what if it gets broken, goes missing etc etc

If you don't want them playing with your son's ds or on the wii then I'd put those things out of the way.

Ask the mindees what they like to do and take it from there but lego, playmobil, computer time, crafts, den-making and outdoor play are all favourites here.

Miffy xx

ziggy
11-09-2011, 10:06 PM
i dont have any 'games' such as ones you mentioned as my own children are grown up. My eldest mindee is 9 now and loves the lego as well as craft activities, reading, bit of chill out tv time, outdoor play, time at local park

mushpea
12-09-2011, 06:01 AM
my mindees used to play the wii but over the holidays my two wanted it upstiars to play and there it has stayed,, I have just purchased a playstation for the mindees to play on but they will only be allowed about 30mins a time on it, mine play outside or watch tv or do crafts/baking, I have a big pile of logs all different sizes and a camo net outside that they use to build dens with, we also go to the park most nights after school,, we also have lego and knex , drawing is always on offer.
prehaps once you get to know him a bit better then you will learn what he likes to do/play with.
I have had a 5yrold the past year and have just let a 7yrold go who I had for 2yrs and you do get to know them,, I am just restarting with another 7yrold who is foot ball mad.

Tink
12-09-2011, 06:53 AM
The 7 year old children I have love all the toys I've got. They love Lego, Role Play, Outdoor Activities, Craft Activities, Baking etc.
After a busy day at school they are more than happy to chill, and often want to help me cut out shapes or activities for our planned activities or help with the younger children.
I always involve the older children and constantly ask them what they would like to do, they love being in invlolved.