PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to contact Ofsted?

IsabellaB
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
This is a totally hypothetical question at the moment as I don't have any childminding kids at the moment but........

At the weekends I provide respite care for a 14year old with Downs Syndrome, contracted by social services absolutely nothing to do with childminding. Yesterday her Mum asked if I could do school holidays, which she would pay for. I mentioned that I thought I would have to check with Ofsted and Mum got upset as she is over 8 and therefore would not count in my numbers.

I plan on doing a hard advertising push for childminding over the next couple of weeks so could have people by half term, but would Ofsted be ok with me having a disabled older kid and childminding kids?

birch24
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes of course you can, disabled children sometimes need childminders too.
As long as you can fulfill all the childrens needs then I can't see a problem. You obviously already know this child well so would be able to support her well in activities etc so she wasn't left out.

Just write up a care plan and be aware of her and others needs when taking on any other children.

Good luck.:D

BuggsieMoo
11-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Personally I cant see why they would as if you are on all parts of the childcare registers then you can provide care for over 8's and you will be insured to do so through you insurance company. I think (as I also mind over 8's) that Ofsted's rules are as long as the care of the younger children is not infringed on by caring for an older child - and only you could make that decision.

If your really concerned, email Ofsted and see what they say. At least then you would also have it on file.

Good luck xx

FussyElmo
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Think it would be discrimation if you cant.

teacake2
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I care for two children with varying disabilities, one school holidays now and one in the EYFS.
Teacake2

rickysmiths
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
This is a totally hypothetical question at the moment as I don't have any childminding kids at the moment but........

At the weekends I provide respite care for a 14year old with Downs Syndrome, contracted by social services absolutely nothing to do with childminding. Yesterday her Mum asked if I could do school holidays, which she would pay for. I mentioned that I thought I would have to check with Ofsted and Mum got upset as she is over 8 and therefore would not count in my numbers.

I plan on doing a hard advertising push for childminding over the next couple of weeks so could have people by half term, but would Ofsted be ok with me having a disabled older kid and childminding kids?

Surely this is childminding as if you were not registered with Ofsted you could not care for this child? You must have a Contract etc in place?

As others have said as long as care for this child does not impact on the care you give the under 8s, which is your judgement call, Ofsted won't be interested. Personally I wouldn't waste my time or theirs contacting them.

IsabellaB
11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Surely this is childminding as if you were not registered with Ofsted you could not care for this child? You must have a Contract etc in place?

I am employed as a respite carer, not childminder in this case, by social services. The family have been assessed as needing 3 hours a week respite care and I have been employed via a direct payment to provide this.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get back to Mum and find out exaclty how much she was asking for and see if it does clash with any potential childminded kids