PDA

View Full Version : Any Help Appreciated

Heaven Scent
10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Ok I've just had a phone call from a mother who want after school care for her son who will be going to the high school at the top of my road from September.

He has Aspergers syndrom and is presently with a childminder where he lives it looks as though from her phone number that they live in the next town but the mum works in our local hospital.

She wants him to arrive independantly but I won't be able to do that due to later collection from a primary school and playgroup so I will suggest to her that I could park a bit away from the school gate and he could hop into my car while and could come on the pick ups when my husband and assistant are not available (if she is happy for him to stay with them until I get back from the school run).

I have worked with young children and FE students with aspergers in the past and it doesn't really phase me as such I will give her my independant arrival policy and will also make it clear that I am happy to do it so long as nothing about his behaviour causes or could cause distress or injury to existing minded children.

What I need help with is questions I need to ask her I'm completely brain dead. I know I need to get her permission to speak to the preasent minder in due course and I will put most of these questions to her.

I have spoken to my 12 year old son and asked him if he would be willing to befriend him - he is a very patient and kind boy (despite driving me mad now that his hormones have kicked in - but it appears that he only behalves like this with me). He has all his life had friends with ADHD and has bee brilliant with them so forgiving and accepting of their behaviour plus he had a friend with aspergers when he was in nursery.

I did have to compile a list of questions along these lines when I went for an interview as for learner supporter at a local college and did really well with it but I was in the loop in those days and my brain was programmed in this mode so if someone could give me a starting point or a link I'd really appreaciate it.

Thanks so much.

sarah707
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
What makes him happy / sad?

What makes him angry?

How will he react with lots of children in the house?

What are his specific mannerisms?

How much rope do parents give him?

How does he react to other adults / teens / animals?

What is happening at school?

Honest comments from other childminder?

How do parents manage his behaviour?

What are his flash points and how do family avoid them / deal with them?

What are considered appropriate sanctions?

What is his diet like? Does he over-eat / take food / store food in his pockets / under-eat / have specific likes and dislikes?

What is his diagnosis? Is it just aspies or other stuff?

What are the ways he mainly shows the condition?

All I can think of just now... I know there are some members with experience too... sure they will be along later.

Hope this starts you off :D

Heaven Scent
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh thank you soooooooooo much for that Sarah its brill. I hope other see this before she comes to see me. I just have so much to do before Fri I'm hoping to be far less hassled once I get back from holiday what with having most of the re-decoration and repair work completed following the leak and having got my inspection out of the way.

I'm hoping to feel better as I hope the rest will get me over this terrible tiredness I've experienced since having the inspection followed from my virus I had last week. This is why I'm at sixes and sevens with everything at the moment because life is just such an effort - everything is taking me for ever to do and my DH is not very patient he always gets stressed out when going on hols and it takes him several days to chill it drives me wild. So thanks soooo much for the help.

angeldelight
11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to say good luck Celine

Angel xx

jaja
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
good luck xx