PDA

View Full Version : Initial Feedback from meeting with DfE

Penny1959
11-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Just to let you know we Playmate and I (along with about 30 others) had a very useful meeting with the DfE.

Most of those present agreed with the points we were raising and the man from the DfE was listening and was making lots of notes.

One thing he kept repeating was 'What can the DfE do to improve this (whatever our concern was)?

He has promised us some feedback next week and I will get together with Playmate next weekend to sort out our official feedback to you all.

But as a taster
Everyone agreed the document needs to provide clarity and not use terms that can lead to personal interpretation

No one liked the fact that was no development statements for under 2's

No one liked the wide age ranges

Everyone said IF there is to be a 24 - 36 m assessment - it needs to be narrowed down as that age range is too wide

Concern was expressed about cm's not have the knowledge, the confidence or the willingness to say they had concerns at this age. There was talk about partnership with Health visitors (this is being discussed with HV representatives)

Everyone was worried the cm's would not be listened to and that wording needed to be changed from should to must so that cm's would have some authority and be on a equal professional standing as others

No like the the 'ready for school' statements

Everyone thought that Ofsted need clear guidelines on what the minimum requirements are - even to the point of a list of things - it was also suggested that the document should have a 'checklist' for practitioners to be able to check they had everything in place (as easy to miss something when have to read all the document and work out which bits are for all and which bits are not requirements for cm's)

A lot of concerns were raised about inconsistencies in the wording in the document.

A lot expressed disappointment that the opportunity was not taken to to up the training requirements - with many saying that a level 3 is needed - or at least some requirement for a child development based qualification / training.

Everyone agreed that funding for somethings should from central government as otherwise LA would continue to make own decisions about what funds and there would be differences in level of support and training offered.

There was a lot more discussions - but the ones mentioned are the the ones everyone was agreeing about - and to honest the ones I remember as it was a long day (left home at 6.05 and got back home at 21.55)

Penny :)

Playmate
11-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Excellent account of the meeting Penny, your brain is working quicker than mind this morning :D

Penny1959
11-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Excellent account of the meeting Penny, your brain is working quicker than mind this morning :D

Thankyou Playmate - glad you agree with my account - as you will have noticed I don't take notes so all from my memory.

Penny :)

sarah707
11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Wow it sounds like you had a very productive day and managed to get across a lot of concerns.

I look forward to hearing more feedback from you when the DfE has digested them! :D

Carol M
11-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Thank you Penny and Playmate for your involvement in yesterday you must be shattered!
I'm really glad childminders had the chance to respond to this and you sound positive that the issues raised have been well and truely noted. I am very much looking forward to the outcome.
Thank you both again.
Carol xx

Pipsqueak
11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
thank you for your hardwork and input and this feedback.

I look forward to what the Dfe come back and say.

miffy
11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for reporting back Penny - it sounds like you've given them plenty to think about.

Look forward to an update as and when

Miffy xx

Pauline
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Some great points raised there Penny and a fantastic feedback report, thank you for sharing it with us after what sounds a very long and tiring day.

:thumbsup:

moogster1a
11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
all sounds good except pushing for level 3 requirement. I'm sure I'm not the only one who works very long hours and has a young family of my own. I literally have no time to do this and would therefore lose my only income if this was forced upon us.
The huge amount of paperwork and requirement to work to EYFS I think preofessionalises us enough.

blue bear
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Thank you Penny and Playmate for making such a massive effort on behalf of us all, it is much appreciated.

The Juggler
11-09-2011, 08:50 AM
thanks Penny. i hope they listen to the concerns adn take them on board.

Chimps Childminding
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks both!!!

Pauline
12-09-2011, 08:26 AM
all sounds good except pushing for level 3 requirement. I'm sure I'm not the only one who works very long hours and has a young family of my own. I literally have no time to do this and would therefore lose my only income if this was forced upon us.
The huge amount of paperwork and requirement to work to EYFS I think preofessionalises us enough.

Often if that happens it is only for future childminders, not for current ones. A bit like when they bought out the requirement to do the 1st unit of the diploma in home based childcare before you could register, it was not forced on existing childminders.

Having said that I think it ought to be a requirement for all childminders that they have some sort of basic child care or child development training as has been suggested.

breezy
12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
thanks to everyone for their work on this and sharing it with us :thumbsup: