PDA

View Full Version : Numbers....

MissTinkerbell
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi, need a bit of advice and I know this is the place to be.

I've had a second enquiry and its proving to be a tricky one as numbers are an issue.

The lady is my friend and she's off back to work full-time. She has a 5 year old boy, a 4 year old boy and 2 year old boy/girl twins. I know the family well and her son and my daughter are in the same class at school and good friends.

Now the problem is I have three children of my own - a 5 year old and like her 2 year old boy/girl twins, who are only two weeks older than her two.

She does not want to split the children up between childminders and would like them all to go to the same one.

I explained that I can only have 2 over fives and 1 under five but that Ofsted do make exceptions for twins/siblings if you can prove you can meet their needs (well I have twins of my own so know the demands of twins very well).

She's quite happy to put her 4 year old in daycare until September when he starts school and becomes classed as an over five.

Now I know that Ofsted will make exceptions for these cases but it says in the EYFS that the numbers of under-eights cannot exceed 6. Now pre-September it would be 6 but I would have to get special say so to care for 2 under-5s.

However after September she would want me to have her second eldest son before and after school and during the school holidays.

Does anyone know whether Ofsted would allow this because of her wanting to keep all the children together and me already caring for the 3 other siblings or would they not consider it because it takes my numbers to 7?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for any advice. We've got the head of the Early Years Team coming to our ICP session on Thursday so I will ask her advice but wanted to sound you guys out first.

sarah707
10-05-2008, 10:14 AM
The only way you are going to find out for sure is to write it all down in a letter for Ofsted stating exactly what you are wanting to do and how you will keep all the children safe / healthy / educated etc when they are with you.

Nobody else can tell you for sure - it depends on the size of your house, your experience etc and Ofsted might want to visit you if it is a complicated variation as well.

The only thing I would say from experience, is be careful of putting all your childminding eggs in one basket - it's a lot of money to take off one parent and a lot to lose if she stops working or can't pay for some reason...

Happy to help with letter writing if you need it! :D

MissTinkerbell
10-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks Sarah - the eggs in one basket is the only worrying issue I have with it - as you say its a lot of money from one family and should her hubby get posted then I've lost it all.

But on the otherhand because we are a RAF community its a very fluid one with constant changes of families so there is usually always people requiring good childminders.

Thanks for the offer of help with letter writing - I may take you up on that.

deeb66
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with Sarah

Good luck and I hope it all turns out well :thumbsup:

Alibali
10-05-2008, 11:57 AM
You would need to check with ofsted but in my opinion if would probably be ok. Good luck

Ali x

miffy
10-05-2008, 03:11 PM
It is my understanding that whilst Ofsted are happy to grant variations for the number of under fives who can be cared for they will not allow the number of under eights to exceed 6 in total no matter what the circumstances

If I were you I would ring Ofsted to check before going to the trouble of writing a letter

Good luck

miffy xx

SimplyLucy
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I've experienced this issue before.

I've got my own children 6 and 4, and was minding for 7 year old twins plus a 4 year old.

To prevent the cousins of the mindees from going into care their Auntie (my mindees mum) was going to take them on. The 2 cousin were aged 3 and 1.

This would have taken me over my under 5 number by 1 which OFSTED were happy with BUT as it would take me to 7 under 8's it was a no go.

OFSTED told me under no circumstances they could let anyone care for 7 under 8's.

The only way to get around it would be to take on an assistant and get a variation in numbers that way, or to work with another childminder.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It may be still worth giving OFSTED a ring and see what they say about it.

MissTinkerbell
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Oh dear that doesn't sound too promising, just when I'd decided to seriously think about it.

Gave my friend all my bumpf at school today. She would put her second eldest in daycare until he starts school in September so my numbers would be 6 until then, so the problem would only arise in September.

I'm going to talk to the boss of the Early Years Team when she comes to our ICP course on Thursday and ask her advice and then depending upon what she says I'll give Ofsted a ring.

What makes it so annoying is that I was perfectly capable of being responsible for the care, teaching and learning of between 25 and 30 5-year olds for the best part of 12 years, for 5 hours plus a day.

All I want to do is do the same for 7 under-eights - which would only be for about 3 hours a day, as the two eldest would be at school.

I know that they have their rules for the good of the children but its going to make it so difficult for my friend to keep all her children together whilst she is at work.