PDA

View Full Version : How much do you actually play with them?

buzzy bee
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
For instance, if 3 of them are happily playing at the sand table, would you go and sit with them and play with them, or would you just let them get on with it?

sarah707
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
A bit of both depending on what else is happening... it would depend on ages as well.

Sometimes I would do paperwork sitting close to them so I can get involved if needed. Sometimes I would play alongside them.

Sometimes I would extend their play by adding new things to it and chatting about them.

:D

Newbie1!
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Hmm a toughie - and I think Im probably a bit of both - although I do swing more toward independent child led play. One of my mission statements on my website is centered around basically letting children choose/play their own way etc and lots of my parents and potential parents like this idea. I have been in a situation when I first started out where I felt I wasnt joining in enough and as soon as I did all the littlies kind of wandered off onto something else so I think really I had interupted their game!

For the example you give Id sit close by but not join in, if they were talking about diggers for example Id offer some insight into building blocks, diggers, sandcastles etc but then step back again and let them carry on - also depends on whether you trust said mindees to play nicely and not kill each other :laughing: :rolleyes:

buzzy bee
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the replies... All my minds get on really well (I'm lucky!) and they're all under 20 months so not a lot of talking!

I agree about interrupting them - if I try and join in that seems to stop things or they start to fight!! They play much better when I leave them to it!

rickysmiths
09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I do the same as sarah. But I often have my camera and post its close as well!

singingcactus
09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm a firm believer in child led play, so unless I need to referee, I leave the kids to it. Any adult intervention changes the nature of the play - even the best meaning intervention - so it is no longer totally child led, but adult led. Kids learn best allowed to play freely.

Of course if the kids invite me to join in, that is a different matter.

The Juggler
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
using the sand table as an example, i'd get a chair and observe from close by. i wouldn't interrupt probably but for younger children or for any little frustrations I could see, I'd ask questions or describe what they were doing.

i.e. introduce words for filling, emptying, more or less, too much or the process of making a sandcastle/sand mould shape, or 'oops, didn't that work, what could we do???