PDA

View Full Version : Contract for family members

claire2211
09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi All,

I'm due an inspection any day. My Neice is due to start with me next week and I've not done a contract for her yet.

Do I need to waste the paper? No matter what happened I wouldnt take my brother to court so whats the point in a contract?

Is there any special rules about looking after a family member and getting paid for it?

Just dont want to do anything wrong!

kindredspirits
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd do a contract because I think (although I may be wrong) that your insurance would need it - you may never take your brother to court, but what happens if your niece had a serious accident in your care and you and your brother fell out and he decided to take you to court?? (i'm playing devils advocate here but for the sake of a few bits of paper its probably worth having something on paper)

Greengrass74
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
You don't have to have a contract, but I would family or not, just so that everyone knows what is expected, holidays, pay etc.

You do however need all your permission and consent forms signed, even though it is a family member and your parental responsibility form.

I personally would treat a family no differant when it comes to paperwork, just in case something is forgotten or like kinderedspirits said your relationship changes, it does happen even more so when work and family is mixed.

catswhiskers
09-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I know how you feel - I've been looking after my great-niece for over a year now but I started out by getting my niece to sign the contract etc. Basically you have to treat them like any other parent/mindee.

I just told her that's the paperwork we have to do - even if I did feel awkward.

I gave her all my policies etc. to sign and she was ok with this and understood.

I even get my niece to sign the attendance register every week!

miffy
10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
I would treat them the same as other parents and do all the paperwork, including a contract - that way you all know what has been agreed and it might save arguments later

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I would treat them the same as other parents and do all the paperwork, including a contract - that way you all know what has been agreed and it might save arguments later

Miffy xx

Same here

Good luck with Ofsted

Angel xx