PDA

View Full Version : Starting at 6.30am???

nipper
09-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Does anyone on here cater for shift workers. I've just taken on a little boy who will be 8 in a months time. He is dropped off at 6.30am, I take him to school with my two, pick him up and then he is collected at 8pm. Long day for the little lad, but mum is single and works as a nurse. As she said to me, she could quite as easily not work, claim every single benefit under the sun, have her house paid for etc etc...but that's not her. It really is tough for some families isn't it?
It just makes me think I can make a real difference being a childminder.
Lovely to hear your comments.
Emma

chez
09-09-2011, 08:32 AM
After working with my mum for 2 years as a childminder Im setting up on my own and in a few months time my partner is joining the setting.

We do not have our own children yet and will be offering around the clock childcare.

We are also willing to do the occassional weekend.

Mouse
09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Personally, I think it's a shame when children are out of the house for such a long day. I know parents have to work, but I prefer the idea of them having someone who could look after the child in their own home, a nanny or baby sitter.
If it's just the odd time, or only a couple of times a week, or month it's not so bad, but I wouldn't like my child to be away from home for so long.

rickysmiths
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
I have done these hours for a single mum nurse in the past. At least they only do 4 long days at a time so its not every day of the week. Yes I think it is in situations like this that childminders really prove how flexible they are. now Day Nursery could provide this kind of care.

Pixie dust
09-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I provide care for 2 children whose mum a shift worker she works 22 hours a week, hours can be from 6.30 up to 8pm normally they will be 6.30-2pm or 3pm 8pm an I am happy to do this work is so quite in my area anyway all the local childminders are quiet.

JCrakers
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I often wonder how you all cope with working a 14hr day...I have enough with 10.
I struggle to get out of bed at 7.10am when the alarm goes off...lol

Im not sure if I could do it :(

Becky x

lyla's mum
09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
i have a little boy who comes to me 2 days a week, his parents work as air stewards/stewardess's so they can both do pretty long shifts, the earliest he will start is 6.45am, but can often stay until 9pm, he is a similar age to my daughter so just ends up having a bath and pjs/bedtime story etc with her in the evening and goes down for a nap around his normal bedtime so he isnt disrupted too much. i dont mind doing it as it isnt every day, and i know the family dont take it for granted that i will just do it and always apologise whenever he has to stay late

tulip0803
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I have one (soon to be 2 - new sibling) parents both work for emergency services earliest he has come is 6am and is normally collected by 5 as they try to swap shifts with colleagues to get an earlier finish for one.

I also have another child that can be with me until 8 pm so if I have an early finish and a late day I am exhausted! Rarely happens though about once every 6 months.

Beetlejuice
09-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I had a child who used to do 6.30 - 6.30 as mum was a shift worker (also a single mum and a nurse). To be honest it didn't last long as I found the 6.30 starts were really hard on my own kids. Good on you though if you are prepared to do it and as you say really make a difference. My children are a bit older now and I would consider 7am starts but no earlier.

Penny1959
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I have one mum who does an early shift - I have child 2 days a week - pick up from her house at 5:50 (means leaving mine at 5:30am. However she goes home at 15:30

I have another mum who works long shifts - which means will travel time mindee is here for 16 hours at a time - usually a 6am start and a 10pm finish. I take mindee back to her house at 7pm when others gone home so she can go to sleep in her own bed. I also do these hours at weekends and do overnight babysitting at her house.

I find it hard working all next day when I have done an overnight shift - but other than that I don't mind working these hours.

Penny :)

kindredspirits
09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
i used to do that shift for a mum who worked as a nurse - it beccame too much for her and she swapped to doing admin work at the hospital so she could work 9-5
i think its terrible that we expect our nurses to work 6.30-8pm and still be on the ball at the end of their shift.

The Juggler
10-09-2011, 08:36 AM
i could not do that start hon. That poor mum too.:(

boxtree7
10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
i do early starts only becasue we my husband is up at 5.15 and my daugher is up at 6.30am for school on the bus for 7.00am. Ive just started having 14 month old, 1 year & 3 year old at 7.15am i find that hard because I have to start from the time they arrive as if its older 5 onwards they amuse themsleves for the 1st hour and can get organsied for the day. Sometimes I work 12 hours a day.

marleymoo
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
i do 8 hours a day and i moan about that!
i now pay for a co-worker to work with my other co-worker to cover my hours on Mondays and I'm extending it to Thursdays too. i am gradually working my way out of it without letting my families down