PDA

View Full Version : New role tomorrow!

Beetlejuice
08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Feeling a bit apprehensive so after some words of encouragement! Our DO emailed last month about a parenting course being run at the local children's centre and they need childminders to look after the children whilst their parents are on the course. The children are deemed 'in need' and parents are being taught fundamentals of parenting. I put my name forward and my name was put forward strongly by my DO and I'm going to be working there for the next 11 weeks! I spoke to the trainer today and I have 10 children (between two minders) - one child is deaf but can lip read and another child has lots of allergies and the children are a mix of ages. We will have a briefing in the morning with the trainers before the course starts.

It sounded like a fantastic opportunity and one I've gone for as I don't childmind on Fridays. I'm excited because my house won't be trashed :laughing: but a little daunted because it's the first time I've been 'out' to work for 5 years! I'm sure I'll be fine once we've settled the children in but I guess it's fear of the unknown atm.

So please can you send all your best wishes my way :blush:

Thank you

B x

alwaysright
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
best of luck but sure you'll be fine :) as you say just fear of the unknown :)

The Juggler
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
good luck hon. sure you will be fine :)

sillybeans
08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
What a fantastic thing to be a part of. We all moan about people who don't parent their children and this is something to be proud of.

You'll be fine... just remember how you probably felt the first morning of CMing
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

funemnx
08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
What a fabulous opportunity! I'd be a bit nervous too - I'm sure it'll be fun, great that you'll have someone else there in the same boat as you too :thumbsup:

sarah707
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Wow! Have a lovely time ... you'll be fine once you've relaxed into it :D

TheBTeam
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
It will be great, relax and enjoy!

manjay
09-09-2011, 07:12 AM
I volunteer for a project like this and it is one of the most rewading things I do. Most of these paremts have never had a role model so have very little idea of how to parent a child. Anything that an be done to help a child is fab in my eyes.

Well done you:thumbsup:

Polly2
09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
What a fantastic opportunity :clapping: well done you!

Mollymop
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Good luck and well done xx

Beetlejuice
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I survived!!!:D It was a lovely morning. There ended up being 7 children from 3 months to 4 and it went really well. I got to snuggle the 3 month old to get him off to sleep and I made friends with a little girl who is almost completely deaf. She was v distressed to leave her mum but she attached herself (literally lol) to me and we had lots of cuddles and eventually she allowed me to put her down and by the end of the session she was sitting happily chatting to me - her speech and understanding is really good (she lip reads). It's been lovely not to have to worry too much about observations (though we feed back to the course leaders at the end of the session) or paperwork, Ofsted or the house being trashed.

I've loved it and feel very positive.:clapping:
Thanks for the good luck vibes - they worked!

B x

Polly2
09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a great success - how lovely that the little girl felt so comfortable with you! Thats really good! And no mess in the house either!

Helcatt
09-09-2011, 05:03 PM
yay, glad it went well, was thinking of you, as my house was being trashed

HX

Beetlejuice
09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a great success - how lovely that the little girl felt so comfortable with you!

It was so lovely Polly! Mum handed her to me and she hung onto me for about an hour, just having cuddles and wouldn't let me put her down. When she asked for the toilet I managed to get her to walk and hold my hand and progress from there. She made a real bond with me which was just amazing considering she's never met me before! Mum was lovely and not offended when I asked her not to come into the hall during her break as I was worried it would unsettle the child again. She was really understanding :thumbsup: Has given my self-esteem a boost too :D

Thanks H - hope your house is back together now!
xx

xgemx
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Wow well done you sounds like a great oppurtunity x