PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Inspections

Cazz
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Generally speaking, how do you all find the inspections? I feel quite nervous about this part of the job as I am very self-concious if I know people are watching me. I have great fun singing and dancing and generally being silly with my 4 month old when we are alone in the house but I think I'm a bit more reserved when visitors are around. Is this bad for someone who wants to become a childminder? Or is it something you overcome?

How long does an average inspection last and do they come out with you on a school run? Also, do you get any choice as to what day/time they visit?

One other thing, do they only do an unannounced visit if they have cause for concern? I realise that you should be running your business in a consistent way so that it wouldn't matter if Ofsted turned up but I would imagine that on some occasions circumstances would dictate otherwise!

Sorry to go on a bit and ask so many questions!

Carole x

Spangles
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Carole

Sorry I'm not much help as I'm nervously awaiting my first inspection at the moment.

All I would say is that I would imagine that most people are a lot more comfortable singing and dancing around their lounge when there are no other adults about, I know I would not dream of doing that in front of anyone else! As most of the time as a childminder you are on your own I can't see that's a problem so don't worry, I think that's quite normal.

x

miffy
10-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi Carole

Not sure if you are asking about pre-reg visit or just inspections in general. I never had a pre-reg visit - they didn't do them when I registered.

In general the length of inspections seems to vary greatly depending on the inspector - some last 2 hours others have gone on for 5 or more hours. I would say the average is between 2 and 3 hours.

You get used to them - I am always nervous beforehand but when the inspector comes I find it best to ignore them and play with the children as I normally would

You usually get a call from the inspector asking what days/times you're available over the next week or two - they aren't supposed to book appointments but this has been happening recently as they are under pressure to get inspections up to date.

As far as I know an unannounced visit would only be made if they had cause for concern at a previous inspection or if a complaint had been made.

HTH
miffy xx

sarah707
10-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Mine lasted about 3 hours and I knew to within a week when she was coming - but not to the time or day.

I just got on and did what I usually did and she kept popping up behind me and watching, then other times going to do her paperwork.

It was fine with her in the house - but then I suppose I'm used to them after all these years.

All you can do is to be yourself and if you don't feel you can act daft, then do a different activity.

Just be sure whatever you do is part of the children's normal routine - doesn't help to have confused children with an inspector around. :D

Cazz
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks. It's the actual inspections that I feel nervous about as I've gathered from here that the pre-reg is more of a chat (and I do like a chat!).

Good point about not doing anything different on the day of the inspection cos you can always rely on children to drop you in it!

Carole x

susi513
12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't know about pre-reg meetings, it was under social services when I first registered.

My inspections have always been about 3 hours. I've invited inspectors to come with us on preschool runs or to either wait or return but they always decline and end the inspection.

I've always known exactly which day they're going to pick to come. When they phone the week before you give them the school/preschool run times, any days you have no mindees, days you have planned outings to toddlers etc it doesn't leave them much choice!

I'm probably a bit warped but I quite enjoy the opportunity to blow my own trumpet. :laughing:

All the inspectors I've met have been nice people with plenty of common sense. I'm not sure I should post that sentence. I'll probably get a right dragon next time!

Cazz
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for that! I feel a lot better about it now! Haven't thought about the fact that they would need to know what you have on each day - it will obviously narrow down the times they can come and even I may be able to work it out!

I suppose the reason why I feel nervous about it is in my current job that I will be leaving we have inspectors arrive unannounced every 6 months and I haven't come across any particularly pleasant ones yet, they randomly pick 3 people to ask loads of questions and if you get ANY wrong the whole team is marked down so I have always worried about letting others down. If I do badly with Ofsted in this job I will be letting myself down.

Thanks for your information.

Carole x

caza
12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I know how you feel Carole. Even though i am not yet registered I feel nervous about the inspections. I too can act as daft as the next person when I need to, but I know that when I have an inspector hovering over me watching my every move I will feel very nervous and uncomfortable. I'm sure after years of experience it will be like water off a ducks back but I know I will have sleepless nights if and when I get to my first inspection :eek:

Caroline

Cazz
12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Cheers Caroline! It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like this! :laughing:

Have you had your pre-reg visit yet? Dh has got 3 days holiday next week and we are doing all the jobs round the house (list is growing the more I read things on here!) and then my application will be posted. Done first aid & ICP starts tomorrow evening so all exciting (and nerve racking!) stuff.

Carole x

chez1373
12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
When i had my first inspection i re painted the whole house i was so nervouse it was horrible and it was the pre reg visit too.

I havent had my 6month visit yet and i know its coming i have just bought a new carpet and the house will get paited again im sure i hate people watching me i always feel im goin to do something so wrong..

Good luck Girls but to be honest the pre reg visit was ok no probs at all you will always feel better after it is done but the wait is so horrible

Good luck

caza
13-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Cheers Caroline! It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like this! :laughing:

Have you had your pre-reg visit yet? Dh has got 3 days holiday next week and we are doing all the jobs round the house (list is growing the more I read things on here!) and then my application will be posted. Done first aid & ICP starts tomorrow evening so all exciting (and nerve racking!) stuff.

Carole x

I have my briefing session booked for the 4th June so until then its just a case of sitting and waiting. I am nervous about the pre reg visit too because I'm not sure what to do before it. I have loads of ideas what to do with our spare room and stuff but dont want to do it all in case for some reason they say i cant do it then I will have wasted my money! So I know what you mean about it being nerve racking stuff :eek:

Caroline