PDA

View Full Version : Walking funny - should I be concerned?

buzzy bee
07-09-2011, 06:01 PM
I look after a 22 month old, and when he walks it's quite jerky and like he doesn't have much control over it. He turns his feet out and they kick up quite high and to the sides when he walks, and sometimes one or both of his legs don't seem to bend... His whole body is quite jerky and his arms swing about.

He's always been quite jerky - when he was younger and before he walked he used to sit and sort of fling his body towards whatever object he wanted, and wave his arms about a lot.

I'm not sure whether this is normal and whether to say anything to the parents.

Is this a normal thing or should I be concerned?

pinkbutterfly
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I would ask the parents. The chances are they have questioned this themselves and sleeked sought opinion.

buzzy bee
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I have the sort of relationship with his parents where I'm sure that if they were concerned they'd have told me...

caz3007
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I think I would then be inclined to ask them if they had noticed and take it from there.

The Juggler
07-09-2011, 10:55 PM
i had a parent who talked to me about everything but when I discussed her son's walking ( his feet turned inwards meaning he gripped his toes to walk) she admitted she'd been concerrned. i woudl mention it hon x

Mamma4Ya
08-09-2011, 04:13 AM
I too would mention it to his mother, like others have said she may have noticed and be wondering herself if it is normal and may prompt her to seek a medical opinion.

JCrakers
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
No harm in mentioning it to the parents...

Have you noticed any other problems with physical things like grasping things, was he a late walker,
I would say it needs to be investigated just to hopefully confirm nothing wrong with muscle dev etc. I would say that a 2yr old would be able to walk with a bit more control but then again everyones different.

I would say something to Mum or Dad :D

Becky

nic t
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Honestly this is not "normal" walking behaviour and there could well be an underlying cause.

I know it is difficult as have been there myself but would suggest to parents that they get him checked out. You run the risk of upsetting themas some parents will bury their heads in the sand at any potential problem with their child.

Do you have any other concerns over his development? Any problems with joints, eg fingers crossing involuntarily, stiffness when walking.

buzzy bee
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't have any other concerns about his development I don't think - his speech is very good and he is obviously pretty intelligent! His toes are a bit funny...

Okay so my next question... what do I say to the parents?

The Juggler
08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I would just sit them down and say just wanted a quick word. have noticed that when walking x's feet are not positioned flat on floor. Normally by this age they would be. Tell them it's probably something you as a parent would want to get checked out with the health visitor and you felt like you had to let them know.

If that ask what you think it is, say you don't know and you have no great knowledge about these things but in cases that you have come accross usually some physio or corrective footwear perhaps might be of help. (I know given what you've said it could be more than that but it might help reassure them about going to GP)

I would also add (if they are reluctant to hear) that most small problems with walking can be easily corrected/helped if they are seen by HV/GP early on but often they can be harder to correct if child reaches and older age.

Good luck hon. let us knwo how it goes.

buzzy bee
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I would just sit them down and say just wanted a quick word. have noticed that when walking x's feet are not positioned flat on floor. Normally by this age they would be. Tell them it's probably something you as a parent would want to get checked out with the health visitor and you felt like you had to let them know.

If that ask what you think it is, say you don't know and you have no great knowledge about these things but in cases that you have come accross usually some physio or corrective footwear perhaps might be of help. (I know given what you've said it could be more than that but it might help reassure them about going to GP)

I would also add (if they are reluctant to hear) that most small problems with walking can be easily corrected/helped if they are seen by HV/GP early on but often they can be harder to correct if child reaches and older age.

Good luck hon. let us knwo how it goes.

Thank you.

It's making me really upset thinking about it.

I'm trying to watch him and figure out if I'm worrying over nothing... but I'm pretty sure he's more wobbly than he should be.

I really don't know if I have the courage to say something. I know I have to but it's so hard.

The Juggler
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Thank you.

It's making me really upset thinking about it.

I'm trying to watch him and figure out if I'm worrying over nothing... but I'm pretty sure he's more wobbly than he should be.

I really don't know if I have the courage to say something. I know I have to but it's so hard.

hon, I got on so well with the mum I had to raise it with. I was really nervous but she was lovely and confessed she had wondered about it. In the end HV told her to manipulate his feet herself and showed her how to do it - he's fine now. The worst that can happen is that they will be a bit upset but I think it will either realise fears they have already been carrying or flag up something to them they weren't aware of. Either way, I think they will seek advice. If they are adamant they won't, come back on here and we'll come up with another plan. Hugs xx

gegele
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I have the solution ah ah ah ahah

i had little one with swinging 1leg when walking. And eventhough i'm quite rubbish at being tactful and diplomatic i said :

" DID YOU RECEIVE THE APPOINTMENT FOR HER 24MONTH CHECK UP?? (sorry caps on)
she said not yet, so i said "you should chase them as they were really late for my boy (:blush: they were a bit) oh and you might want to ask them to check her leg, seems to me ......."

how great was that?:D i was really pleased of my sudden brain wave LOL
:thumbsup:

buzzy bee
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I have the solution ah ah ah ahah

i had little one with swinging 1leg when walking. And eventhough i'm quite rubbish at being tactful and diplomatic i said :

" DID YOU RECEIVE THE APPOINTMENT FOR HER 24MONTH CHECK UP?? (sorry caps on)
she said not yet, so i said "you should chase them as they were really late for my boy (:blush: they were a bit) oh and you might want to ask them to check her leg, seems to me ......."

how great was that?:D i was really pleased of my sudden brain wave LOL
:thumbsup:

That's good... thanks :thumbsup:

What was the outcome with your little one out of interest?