PDA

View Full Version : printing childrens names. help please!

sweets
07-09-2011, 05:24 PM
All my mindees are either 3 or approaching 3, and i realised the other day that most of them can't recognise their own names on things.

I would like to print out their names in large letters then cut them up so that they can put them together like a jigsaw.

Anyone know how i can do it?

ive got microsoft word and had a look but i can't work out how to do BIG letters! lol, ideally about 5-8cm tall and preferably just the outline of the letter so that i can print them out onto coloured card.

Has anyone done anything similar?

sarah707
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I have made name cards in 72 point Comic Sans - printed and laminated and the children use them for copying when they are writing.

I also have them on their 'home' boxes with little pictures and they learn to associate the image with the name.

Hth :D

Babycat
07-09-2011, 08:53 PM
word art in a word document and you can play with the size of width and length of the box? Print it onto card and if you want thicker jigsaw glue it onto cardboard box or cereal box before cutting out.

Does that make sense?

mushpea
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
we have just done name cards,, i laminated a small card then printed their pictures of on the pogo and stuck their picture on the laminated card,, then i printed their names in size 48 comic sans and cut them out then laminated them and cut them out again,, I will spread both their names and their pictures out on the table and they will hopefuly pick their picture out then eventualy pic their name,
yesterday when i was making them the 2.5yrold was asking what all the names said,, I showed him his and at snack time about an hour laternput the names on the table, I had a 4yrold, 3yrold and him and he was the only one to pick out his name,, I tried again today with them all and again he was the first to pick out his name.

miffy
08-09-2011, 06:42 AM
I print out the letters for their name, let them decorate them then stick them onto A4 paper and laminate to use as place mats.

Miffy xx

sweets
08-09-2011, 06:45 AM
thanks everyone, sarah i have tried comic sans 72 but really wanted them a little bigger.

I know i have used word art before for something but now i can't find it :blush: where is it? lol

kel1983
08-09-2011, 07:10 AM
thanks everyone, sarah i have tried comic sans 72 but really wanted them a little bigger.

I know i have used word art before for something but now i can't find it :blush: where is it? lol

You can have text bigger than 72. You just click in the font size box and add your own size.

Depending on what version of publisher you have, wordart is usually found down the left hand side. Its a 'A' icon.

Hope this helps

singingcactus
08-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Have you thought about using a marker pen and writing the letters. It's good for the kids to see handwritten text sometimes, rather than only computer generated text.

(not being sarcastic btw, although I'm sure it's sounds like I am lol, sometimes we are just so used to technology we forget there is an easier way)

Babycat
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Sweets PM me names and Ill throw a document together for you. Takes me two minutes on the computer x

sweets
08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Sweets PM me names and Ill throw a document together for you. Takes me two minutes on the computer x

Brill thanks will do :thumbsup:

singing cactus i did try and write them out neatly lol but my handwriting is rubbish! :D

sweets
08-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Babycat has done me some FAB names, exactly what i wanted.

thankyou very much :D

catswhiskers
09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I worked in a reception class a while ago and nearly 5 year olds couldn't recognise their own names on coat pegs, book bags etc. so I wouldn't worry. The teacher didn't!