PDA

View Full Version : Hubbie as an assistant

JCrakers
07-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Im trying to work a way around a problem I may have in the new year.

On a Thurs I will have 7 under 8's so obviously have to get rid of one or find someone to have one of my mindees who will be nearly 8yrs. Another one of my mindees turns 8yrs on 8th Feb so I will only need to find someone to help for 4 weeks.

Can my husband register as an assistant just so I can have 7 children on a thurs 8-8.50 and 3.15-4.30pm? Although he has a full time job and wont want to do it after these 4 weeks, it would be handy for him to be around on a Thurs for just these two hours....
He could stay at home with one child while I go to school and I wont be over my numbers?
He already has a CRB as he coaches children football and he has first aid too

Any ideas
Becky

Mamma4Ya
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Im trying to work a way around a problem I may have in the new year.

On a Thurs I will have 7 under 8's so obviously have to get rid of one or find someone to have one of my mindees who will be nearly 8yrs. Another one of my mindees turns 8yrs on 8th Feb so I will only need to find someone to help for 4 weeks.

Can my husband register as an assistant just so I can have 7 children on a thurs 8-8.50 and 3.15-4.30pm? Although he has a full time job and wont want to do it after these 4 weeks, it would be handy for him to be around on a Thurs for just these two hours....
He could stay at home with one child while I go to school and I wont be over my numbers?
He already has a CRB as he coaches children football and he has first aid too

Any ideas
Becky

Yes he can register as an assistant but I dont believe assistants can be left alone with children!

pinkbutterfly
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
They can for short periods of time (like a school run for example) but to be able to do that he MUST be first aid trained otherwise you won't be able to leave a child with him.

JCrakers
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks x

I'll have to have a big think about what to do

Becky

rickysmiths
07-09-2011, 01:24 PM
My dh s registered so he can help in the holidays ect he is a teacher.

He has to have up to date First Aid to the same level as me, I also insist he does Child Protection Training every three years the same as me for his protection and awareness as well as the childrens.

He can be left at home with children in the EYFS for short periods of time, so under 5yrs only with the prior written permission of the parents. An assistant can not be left at home alone, even with a First Aid Cert with children over 5yr who are out of the EYFS he can only be left with them alone outside the house!!! That is really the case even though it sounds daft.

However do not assume that OFSTED will increase your child numbers just because you have an assistant. It depends on the size of your house and if the consider there is enough room for another adult and yet more children.

Also some Local Authorities will make you apply for Planning Permission if you exceed 6 children in your care. This can typically cost £300-500 and take any thing up to and over 3 months to process. Part of the application will be a 21 day consultation with your neighbours to find out if they have any objections to your plans.