PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid about drop in visit again from Ofsted

vix84
09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi, this may be a long one to explain!
I had a complaint made against me so had a visit from Ofsted, which happened to be on a morning where my table was cluttered, the mindee's had emptied the toys all over the floor, the stair gate wasnt shut, and just generally I felt like the house wasnt how it was usually!

Anyway, the complaint was from a neighbour who I fell out with as they are really noisy so after a few years of asking them to keep the noise down ,we started complaining to their council. Which in turn resulted in them trying to wind me up by ringing Ofsted, and saying I had 5 or 6 school age children in the garden and I was shouting and swearing at them! I mind for 2 toddlers, and thats it, my garden is tiny and had no toys in for any children, let alone for school aged children! Anyway, Ofsted could see by my register and two mindee's and by judgement that this allegation was made up etc. so nothing came of it. Apart from me being really mad:angry:
The inspector was great and put me at ease etc. and complimented on art work etc. and didnt mention the stair gate being open etc.

But last weekend the neighbours did their garden etc. which is what happened last time, as they knew Ofsted was going to their house to take a statement. So then on the Tuesday, I see a guy go in with a briefcase, followed by a woman 10 mins later ..... so now Im paranoid they've done the same! I rang Ofsted to see if there was any more complaints and they said they cant disclose that info. which I gathered anyway!

Has anyone else ever been able to ring and check if a complaint has been made, and did they tell you?

miffy
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't help you about the complaint but didn't want to read and run

Why would you think your neighbour had made another complaint about you - have you fallen out again recently?

You may have got this totally wrong - perhaps they are selling up and those people were estate agents coming to value the house

miffy xx

breezy
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Try not to worry and carry on as normal, it probably has nothing to do with you and if it does you have nothing to hide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

wendywu
09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
They may be insurance salesmen. You dont have to answer the door if you think it is Ofsted, and s*ds law one child has decided to hit another over the head with a toy truck, while another vomits all over the floor and has an exploding nappy. If you get my drift!!!!:eek:

ma7ie
09-05-2008, 09:25 PM
You shouldn't worry about something that might not happen. Just carry on as you normally do.

ajs
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
i had the dreaded unannounced visit too so know exactly how you feel about it happening again.

don't worry about it too much as the others have said it's possibly completely innocent and if they are trying again don't worry, if you've nothing to hide just try and stay on top of the house for a few weeks so that they've got nothing to pull you up on if they do come

good luck though

sarah707
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I work every day as if Ofsted might knock on my door after having a malicious complaint made against me last year... so I know exactly how you feel and it's not nice :(

No, they won't tell you on the phone - ever. They won't even tell you if they ring to make an appointment to see you... if they'd done that with me, i could have cleared it up without them wasting their time coming out.

Try hard to put what happened behind you - she says, knowing it's easier said than done.

You really can't spend every day living in fear of something happening again... but what you can do is make sure you have tightened up all the gaps you were aware of last time they came.

At least that way you'll be ready for them whatever they throw at you! :D

angeldelight
09-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I hope you have got it all wrong

Try and relax and make sure everything is always in order so if they do come out unexpected you are at least doing everything that you should be doing

Hope nothing comes of it dont worry

Angel xx

vix84
10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, its just annoying that I cant relax in my own home anymore!
It makes me laugh as the complaint was that I was 'shouting and swearing at the 5 or 6 children' and that is actually what they do!!!:panic:
It wouldnt be estate agents etc. as they are from housing association, we used to be with the same association but we brought the remainding % of our house.

All the parents of my mindee's know about next door and the complaint etc. but Im always wondering what they will do next:mad: and the funny thing is, the son who made the complaint/allegation is training to be a Police Community Support Worker, would you believe it! Great one he'll make!!

We havent complained recently, as were waiting for mediation to start, but if that doesnt make them keep the noise down I think the council will threaten eviction - so I may have a few visits from Ofsted then!!!

Anyway, no visit as of yet, will let you know if I get one!

miffy
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Really hope your worries come to nothing

Keep us posted

miffy xx

Pudding Girl
10-05-2008, 03:32 PM
maybe it was council bods visiting them?

miss muffit
10-05-2008, 07:04 PM
It is really unsettling having ofsted at your door

I also had an anoymous complaint made against me a month or so ago, so I know exactly how you feel and it's not nice, it makes you feel very uneasy

Did ofsted tell you it was your neighbour? :angry:

What I would like to know where do these people get their ideas from, if they havent heard or seen you doing what they report you for :huh:

Why are people so ruddy :censored: nasty !!!

All I can say is I now look to see whos there before i open my door paranoid or what?!!!

take care

Tatia
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
OFSTED are pretty savvy when it comes to knowing what is a malicious complaint. If it involves money or bad blood between neighbours, I think they'll always take it with a grain of salt.

Mollymop
10-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Try not to worry about it babe. Only worry if something happens.
If you are doing everything by the book, which you are, then you have nothing to worry about. I am sure Ofsted understand that people fall out with neighbours and that some people have nothing better to do than make other people's lifes a misery.
Don't worry about it, there is no evidence that you are doing anything wrong!

vix84
11-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I feel ok now, as Im more confident that I am doing everything right. I went on the EYFS course yesterday, so I am happy in myself that I am doing it all the right way, so even if Ofsted do come, there wont be any problems.

I rang the council and asked if it were them, and they said as far as they could see, no, it wasnt anyone from there. But then they dont know what they are doing half the time anyway:rolleyes:

Ive only got 3 weeks left before Im off on mat. leave so I am going to make the most of my time Childminding and enjoy it!