PDA

View Full Version : Carpet protection!

Helen Dempster
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi all

I was just wondering how you all protect your carpets from various things like food, arts and craft stuff (esp paint) etc? Do you all just lay plastic sheets down when things get messy or do you have something else? All food is eaten in the dining room and this is also where the arts and crafts take place (nothing messy in the living room at all). I wish I could just take out the carpet altogether and have a wooden floor in there, but this is a no-go as I rent :( Is there anything any of you use that looks nicer than just plastic sheets (maybe the foam 'jigsaw' things from ELC?)

Just looking for ideas really.

Cheers all (and enjoy the rest of the week) :D

loocyloo
06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
carpet? whats carpet? :laughing:

sorry, i do understand where you are coming from, but luckily our rented house has laminate downstairs.

i have used plastic mats before, but not found them that wonderful, and chair legs seemed to catch and rip them, or food/paint got underneath andthen ground in even more :( i have seem some heavy duty plastic, like you can get runners made out of, but i don't know where from.

i would be worried about drips seeping through the joins in foam mats :(

would it be possible to get a large offcut of lino and use this? don't know how good it would be for the carpet though.

solly
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I used to have carpet and hated it with working so now ave wood floor, I cover the wood floor with the foam mats from ELC as it is more comfortable to sit on and also protects my floor from getting scratched from toys etc.

My friend puts the foam mats over her carpet as she is in rented to protect it from spills etc, and i haven't found liquid to seep through the gaps either with mine.

The other option is you can buy clear carpet protector on a roll which does tend to stay in place we used this when we were selling the house we inherited as we had new carpet down and didn't want the people who were coming to look around mess it up with their mucky shoes etc. It is quite thick plastic rather