PDA

View Full Version : Mindees at an inspection

SimplyLucy
09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
As always I'm preparing for my inspection, I have no idea when it will be!

I'm panicking already as one of my mindees can not cope with any change in routine. Said child is currently under going assessment for Autism.

During the day I only have my DS, the above mindee (A) and an 18 month mindee. A doesn't effect my rountine or care of the others on a day to day basis but any slight change to the routine and we have a major disaster on our hands.

I really don't think it would be acceptable to ask him not to come on the day of an inspection and know mum wouldn't take kindly to that. He's as much a part of our day as any other mindee.

Should I explain to the inspector over the phone about my concerns before she gets here?

mumtodaniel
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi, I think I would call Ofsted and explain the situation, and ask them for advice.

With an inspector present in the room, that may cause the child problems. Does he come every day. It may be that they will come when the child is not there, or does the child come every day.

SimplyLucy
09-05-2008, 06:21 PM
He's a full timer, comes every day.

crazybones
09-05-2008, 06:22 PM
It might be hard but if you have it all documented re the change in the behaviour with a new face and inform the inspector, then as long as you just ignore the inspector and handle it as you normally would then I think it would be a plus point in some ways iyswim.

SimplyLucy
09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh he's very easy to handle, just let him scream away! He's no danger to anyone else so long as you don't have sensitive ears......

I'm don't want the inspector to get annoyed with me because of it though, or wonder why I ignore him.

I guess it could be a bonus if she get's fed up with the screaming and leaves quite promptly!

jmoff
09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I would probably document it as well.maybe you could do an event sample or something?

Jana x

SimplyLucy
09-05-2008, 09:32 PM
What do you mean by an event sample?

ma7ie
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
My mindee is very funny around strangers. I explained that to the inspector and plonked her at the far end of the dining table so she wouldn't interfere with the routines or upset him.

She totally understood and was quite happy with that.

miffy
11-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I had a similar situation at my inspection 4 years ago - I explained to the inspector when she arrived (out of earshot of the child) and gave her the paperwork with it all written down

Then I just ignored the inspector and carried on as usual - all was well until she tried to give me feedback when the child was not happy having my attention elsewhere so he came and stood between us and each time I tried to answer her he took my face and turned it to him - in the end I had to say to the inspector to give up.

Good luck

miffy xx

sarah707
11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
If you have a sheet about the child which has input from the parents and which clearly says ... when he screams the best thing to do is to ignore him... then she will have to go with that and trust you know best. :D

breezy
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Had similar experience at my inspection, I quietly explained the situation and carried on as normal, it wasn't a problem at all.
Hope it all goes well for you :)

angeldelight
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I was in the same situation a few years back and the child in question did cry and was unhappy but I did the same as Miffy and explained before hand and I just dealt with it in much the same way I would if I was alone

I cant see why it would be a problem - just be yourself and you will be fine

Angel xx

donnahay0
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Very good advice from everybody. I haven't been in this situation but would like to say that I hope your inspection (when it happens) goes as smoothly as possible. Try not to worry too much about it, I am sure the Inspector will understand the situation.

Does the child in question have a favourite activity that can perhaps calm him down.