PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

RCTLisa
06-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I have two miniature dachshunds who have free run of the downstairs of our house (kitchen, Living room & dining room). What would I need to be doing to make Ofsted happy?

They would never be left alone with the children under any circumstances, I doubt very much anything would happen but its not a risk I would even dream of taking.

I also have rats but they are contained in a shed in the garden, with execption of any babies who I bring in the house for 6 weeks (but children won't have access to them.

I assume I would need to do a risk assessment for both of these too?

foxy lady
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
hi i have 2 dogs , a german shepherd and a springer spaniel both have free run of the house all day , when i had my inspection on both occasions the dogs have been in the room with the inspector and children and both times i gained outstanding, all i did was in depth risk assaesments and had permission forms signed by all the parents for the dogs to be around the children they were more than happy with this.

Andrea08
06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
hi hun yes do a risk ass state where food and water is kept etc also where dogs sleep and go toilet etc to as a procedure on what you will do etc

also i use either stair gates or in my kitchen cut the door in half so dogs n under 5's are not in same room

i also use crates and my dogs are fast asleep safe from mindees and will stay there until i let out for toilet time in bk garden

over 5's and the dogs are together except play room and i use crates at meal times so dogs are not given scraps from the LO's

its about safeguarding not just the LO's but your pets hun too many mindees dont know how to treat animals well and accidents can and do happen xx