PDA

View Full Version : Might get given notice

BuggsieMoo
06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi All
I have a new starter who is on a 2 week settling period. However hours agreed etc and now mum has asked if Child S can go to an after school club on a Tuesday and me to collect him an hour later at 1615.
I had to say no for the following reasons:

1) I have 9 children that day (includes Child S and my own 4). I dont think it is fair to pick 8 of them up from school, walk them home and drop their bags off then to walk straight back to collect Child S - there is nowhere to go in between due to not enough time. There is a baby park but this will not satisfy those over 6 for which there is 4!
2) It clashes some weeks with Child J's pick up at 1615. His mum is a nurse so this is dependent upon mus hours.
3) I cook meals for all children staying after 1630. If I am having to do an additional school run this impacts on this.

I don't think Ive been unfair and had mum mentioned this beforehand I would not have agreed to having Child S. Therefore I think I may get notice as I cannot fulfill this now.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable as I have to consider all in my setting both Mindees and my own. Any views though please?

Lisa x

FussyElmo
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I dont do the clubs and all the parents know that if they want to sign their children up they make arrangements. The only time I will is if ALL the children do one on the same night.

But no you are not being unreasonable :thumbsup:

Happy Bunny
06-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Perhaps ask mum if someone else can drop her child off to you.

loocyloo
06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I dont do the clubs and all the parents know that if they want to sign their children up they make arrangements. The only time I will is if ALL the children do one on the same night.

But no you are not being unreasonable :thumbsup:

i agree. i have always said that 'X' day is club night, and that is wheni do a late pick up ... it still turned into a trauma as one term i had recorders finishing at 4, sports club at 4.15, choir & art club at 4.30, and then golf at 5pm !!!

i would not be able to accomodate clubs on any other night due to numbers of children!

this year, we've moved and i am at a new school, and as yet, i have no idea what clubs are when, but i already suspect the clubs my children want to do are all over the place! but, current minded children will have the opportunity to do clubs too, and to fit in with everyone else, and from then on, all new mindees will have to fit it! ( and if it means they all have to join choir ... :blush: ! )

Andrea08
06-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I agree hun stick to ya gunns
and also i would still charge for the full session

all our schools clubs are cheaper than me,, and in the holidays i had no mindees of that age because of the clubs prices so i lost out megga £££ again just cana compete as one club sure start only charged £3 a day for parents on benefits... why do they need childcare if they not working arrrr and for thoes who struggle with a job and childcare got no extra help for the school holidays for their over 5yr olds makes me cross

ooo sorry went off a bit lol bk to your situation i would say you are correct to put yourself and the other paying mindees first hun xxx

Roseolivia
06-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't do it either if i had that many children to sort out. Our school is 1min down the road so wouldn't be too bad but it would depend on tea times, pick ups etc...

smurfette
06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
No wouldnt do it either you are only risking making yourself very stressed! You have three very valid reasons any one of which would be reasonable on it's own. Tell her you are very sorry u would love to be able to accommodate but are happy to have him after .. Maybe one of his friends mums would drop him off en route? If Its only one day a week would think she Wont give notice for care she is otherwise happy with .. Good luck!

rickysmiths
06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I only do it if I am not going to school at normal pick up time I don't think its fair to drag all the children out twice so close together especially in bad weather.

What my mums have done in the past is to ask a friend to drop lo off to my house for them. I'm only a 2min walk from the school.:thumbsup:

caz3007
06-09-2011, 08:42 AM
In all the 5 years of after schoolies I have never done after school clubs. Never been asked to collect either and children have done them. My parents have all realised the logistics would be difficult for me. Sometimes the children have been collected by someone else and not come to me, but parent has paid to keep place in case club is cancelled or they only seem to run for half a term here and then they open them up to others. Sometimes an older sibling has collected on the way back from their after school club and they have come back here.

JCrakers
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I dont do after school club pick ups mainly because I dont have a car. I have done the occasional one in the summer mainly due to the weather and the park we can play at but definitley not in the winter. Its a 15min walk to my house and by the time we arrived home we would have 20mins before setting back of again so parents know I cant do them.
They sometimes get friends whose kids are doing the same club to pick up and drop them at my house

Becky

The Juggler
06-09-2011, 01:04 PM
i won't do these pick ups either hon - unless I am able to and it doesn't mean all the childrne walking back and fore to school again. I would see if they can get someone to drop child to you but make sure you make them aware they still pay whole session. :thumbsup:

carol cameron
06-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't do any pick ups from after school clubs either. It makes life too difficult for me, my mindees and their parents . Don't feel guilty about it at all:) Oh and if any child does attend a club I still charge for the space. None of my parents have any issues with this .

miffy
06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't do any other pick-ups from school after the normal finish time.

If parents want lo to go they usually arrange for a friend to drop them off to me after club has finished.

Don't think you are being unreasonable at all

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
As with everyone else, I don't do afterschool club pick ups or drops! My parents all know this. One asked if I would, another 'wondered if' and one wouldn't have dreamt of asking!

I have one that needs to go to Rainbows at 5pm and mum did ask if would drop her up there, but I said no because children start getting picked up any time from 5pm onwards so I need to be here! She leaves work early to take mindee herself or gets a friend to pick her up instead. Another parent wondered if I could pick up her daughter at 4.30 from a club, but I said no as we have tea at bang on 4.30 every day. I don't have her on those days now, but still get paid for them ;) Lastly, the other parent has a daughter in 'gardening club' after school which doesn't run if it's raining, so I am on standby to pick her up if club isn't on, but if club is on, dad picks her up after instead.

My own son has had to miss out on an after school club because I can't (won't) go and pick him up at 4.30pm for all the above reasons. If I won't do it for my son, there's no way I would do it for some one else!

Daisy1956
06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I used to do after-school clubs but ended up getting stressed out running backwards and forwards so now I say no if the parents want them to go to a club then they have to sort out pick up.

BuggsieMoo
07-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks All.

Mum texted me again last night and said she really wanted LO to attend the club so would I mind if someone else dropped him off to me after club and then I had him until her normal pick up time?

I said that that was fine but I would still charge for the hour he was not here. Which she agreed to - it also means he can still have dinner as I can have it ready for when he gets here (same as everyone else as dinner time is 1630-1645 for it being on the table). Mum was fine with this.

My own kids only do clubs during the day and outside of minding hours (Cubs and Beavers) because they know that I cannot be everywhere and it is my job that pays for the nice things they have in life. It would have seemed unfair on my own kids if I collected someone else's from an after school club when they can't do them. The only time one has is my youngest boy did dancing after school but my next door neighbour was the teacher so she brought him home afterwards. Can't happen now though as she is no longer doing it.

Thanks again all - feel a lot better about it today.

Lisa x

miffy
07-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Glad it got sorted amicably! :)

Miffy xx