PDA

View Full Version : collection by a minor

Helcatt
05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I had an interview today and the lady signed contracts there and then! - great!

It is for a nursery run. I drop off at nursery at 9:30 and collect again at 3:30. Mum is working full time, so she wants ones of her older daughters to collect at 4:30.

I said I wasn't sure that I could allow her to collect as she is under 16 but she said the nursery has allowed it in the past, saying that she was asked to write a letter stating that she was happy to allow her 14 year old daughter to collect - a disclaimer I guess

What is allowed? I know I couldn't get my daughter to collect a mindee from a nursery if she was 14 but can an older sibling collect from me with mums permission?

Hx

Ripeberry
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I would not do it :( . When does the mum get back home? Is this 14yr old at home alone then? If anything happened a disclaimer is not worth anything.

mumto3
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I cant advise as a childminder but I have 13 years of experience of nursery work and Im shocked that the nursery allow a 14 year old to pick the child up even with a letter of permission, theres no way we would of ever allowed it

I think I would agree with Ripeberry about the disclaimer and if there was an accident

blue bear
06-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Check with ncma, ofsted and insurer, there was another thread the other day where the op said she had been told by ncma that it was ok. Best to email then you have the answer in writing.

boxtree7
06-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I now our school rule it over 16 - there was times when i stood one of the school although the teacher could see me they still wouldn't allow the child to go with one of mindees who was in year 6 - I had to walk up to class. (I wasn't being lazy I was waiting at another class) Honest!! My daughter is 13 and I wouldn't allow her to take her brother of 15 months walking the pushchair must be used.

Helcatt
06-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Check with ncma, ofsted and insurer, there was another thread the other day where the op said she had been told by ncma that it was ok. Best to email then you have the answer in writing.

That's a good idea, thankyou. My PLI is through the NCMA so I'll email them and Ofsted and see what they say

I did say to the Mum that I would have to check it out first, which is why it came up about the nursery allowing it. The nursery were recently given a satisfactory.

I have a couple of questions for Ofsted, would you do each question as a separate email? I think I will actually

HX

madmamma
06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Disclaimer's won't be worth diddley if there was a terrible accident

Plus, you only have her word for it that the nursery allowed it.... :rolleyes:

Helcatt
07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
This was the reply I had from the NCMA

Hi Helen

We would advise you to obtain written permission from the parent that her older daughter can collect and drop off, and also to state in writing to her that once the minded child has left your setting, you are not responsible for her.

Kind regards

Hx

rickysmiths
07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Personally I still wouldn't do it. I have a no under 18s collecting rule unless they are the parent. After all Ofsted would not let an assistant under 18 be alone with a child so why should an under 18 collect a child.