View Full Version : Tax Credit Question re possible new parent starting

05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I have had an enquiry, I said I ask for payment in advance - the lady said I may have to be wait a little while with her for the payment to come through from tax credits before she can pay me, if she started with me. How do you/would you operate in this situation?

Many thanks

05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
HI :),
I am always paid in advance, usually 4 weekly, so 4 weeks worth of fees in one payment before care begins.

In your situation I would probably allow the parent to pay weekly, (so long as you're not having to hold a place open for her for a long time) but still in advance until tax credits have been sorted. As long as it doesn't go on for too long anyway. Maybe put a 6 week deadline on it?! Hopefully she'll be able to scrape together or borrow a weeks fees at a time...

Really depends on Mum's circumstances and what you're risking by making allowances. Think about what you'd be happy with and how you'd make sure you weren't taken advantage of by making any allowances for her.

Hope you can reach an agreement you're both happy with and it works out for you both :)

best wishes,

05-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am trying to meet a compromise, but not being taken advantage of. I am meeting her this week, she intends to start in 2 weeks. So I am thinking of asking for payment of 1 week's payment in advance acting as deposit and hopefully continue by 1 week in advance after that. I am not sure how tax credits work, do they pay monthly and does the parent have to wait for the childcare to be in place before they can begin? Thank you once again, much appreciated.

05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
you're welcome :)

I think (this is my experience) they pay in arrears and the parent can request weekly or monthly payments.

Your plan sounds good to me, though bear in mind that if she is very badly off that you may not get paid the notice period and you won't have it in hand... are you prepared to write that off? It is difficult. Maybe Mum can agree to a slightly higher weekly fee until you hold at least a couple of weeks fees in hand as security against the notice period.?

Good luck :thumbsup:

wendy :)

05-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Thank you Wendy, you are right, it is looking at the individual situation and to be honest it would be such a good earner for me, she has two children and it would be 4 days a week. She worked with another childminder and has moved. She is meeting me this week and is very keen, so I think it is meeting a compromise and looking at what I would be earning too. I will ring the tax credit office tomorrow I think, so I am armed with the knowledge of what to say fully.

Thanks a million, appreciate your help so much.

05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
they normally sort payment out quite quickly, she can decide whether to pay weekly or four weekly x

05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Thank you both so much for your time answering - much appreciated x

06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
She worked with another childminder and has moved.

Then she should know how things work!

Whilst i agree there may be a compromise to be worked out, your agreement is with her NOT with tax credits.

You need to make that absolutely clear to her from the off otherwise I can see problems with getting paid if 'TC haven't paid/suspended my claim/are investigating my previous claims/have done this/that/the other'

TC whilst can be very good in sorting out payments - up to 10 days, have been known to take weeks/months in some cases. Are you prepared to wait??

Suggest a higher weekly amount until you have your deposit and weeks required in advance - compromise!