PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 10 yr old girl?

Beetlejuice
05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
New mindee started this morning and she's lovely but I'm way out of my depth as I have no idea what they like to do! She's the oldest in my setting by three years and is massively more mature and independent than my 7.5 yr old.

I was just going to leave out some wordsearches, free craft etc on the dining table for her to do as I'm guessing she would prefer to choose what she does. Any ideas what she might like? I've got Hama beads etc too.

Many thanks

B x

juneburkett
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
hi if she is arty she will like crafts ,hamma beads or freindship bands things she can make to take away. or is she into certain bands you could get some info on her faves and mayby do an activity based on that.or nails and make up (parents consent)
magazines cutting out and scrap bookings- bands or fashion.hope ive helped. ju

solly
05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen you in a long time hope you are well :)

I have a 10 yr old boy at the moment and he likes playing with the k nex, magnetix puzzle books and i occasionally let him play either the DS or the wii.

I have had girls this age in the past and up to the age of going to senior school and have found they like to be independant so always had craft available on the table, I also found she liked doing the puzzle books and reading and found that she preferred the Aqua beads too the Hama beads as she could finish what she had made herself rather than waiting for an adult to do it.
She also loved baking so would provide easy things that she could make without to much help from me as i had younger ones to look after.

I also find with J that he likes interacting with the younger ones as he has no siblings at home and will often read to the younger ones.

Hope that helps

Beetlejuice
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I haven't seen you in a long time hope you are well :)

I'm good thanks -hope you are too :D I've not been along on a Thursday for a while but will be back from next week - maybe you will pop along?

Thanks for the ideas. Hope she likes it here - she's lovely and her mum is really nice too which is always a bonus in this job!

NI MINDER
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Its hard to know with a 10 year old as they are all so different at that age. Play it by ear and see what her interests are and be led from that. Dont go out panic buying until you learn a bit more about what she likes to do x

solly
05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I am fine, haven't been that busy during the last few months and have had children that sleep after i did the school run so wasn't worth going along. I now have different children so should see you there this week :)

Beetlejuice
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I am fine, haven't been that busy during the last few months and have had children that sleep after i did the school run so wasn't worth going along. I now have different children so should see you there this week :)

I won't be there this Thursday as not working but back next week. Hope to catch up with you then x

Thanks NIM - I don't want her to feel my setting is too babyish for her as I do cater mainly for the under 5s.

NI MINDER
05-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Beetlejuice - you may find she enjoys the little ones if she doesnt have any wee brothers or sisters. By the time she gets in from school and has a snack then does homework you may find she will want to chill with a book or some tv. They are pushed and organised enough at school without wanting to come to our house and do more of the same. Hope it works out

Beetlejuice
05-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone. She was a delight :D She did Hama beads - helped out my youngest DD who is 4 and she LOVED my gluten-free baking :clapping: Mum was impressed I'd made the effort to as I think she just expected me to give her fruit - not go all out and back something nice for her as well. I've promised her G-F cheese straws tomorrow as I'm off during school hours so have time to bake them.