PDA

View Full Version : Meal ideas for a 1 yr old???

JoJo*
05-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi, Hope someone can help?

Ive had my first ever mindee for 2 weeks now - he is settleing in well apart from eating - i have to provide lunch and dinner.
The parents have advised me he likes finger foods but if he wont eat, then blend it and he will.....This is not the case, he just shakes his head and i end up giving him the only thing i can get him to eat which is a fromaige frais.... My dog is loving all the wasted food but im starting to run out of ideas.

Any ideas???

Flisspaps
05-09-2011, 09:33 AM
The Baby Led Weaning (http://www.babyledweaning.com) site has some really good ideas. Both DD and my mindee ate normal food at age 1 - however if I put too many pieces out in front of them then they both refused, but if I gave them a couple of pieces of whatever at a time, they'd usually wolf it down.

It may also be that he's just not hungry at mealtimes, does he have much in the way of milk beforehand? If he does, then try giving him the food and then the milk.

mushpea
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
my have sandwichs fruit cheese string and dessert, if they dont eat a sandwich then nothing else,, even at 1yrs old they soon get the idea that if they dont eat one thing they still get the yummy yoghurt,, I would be inclined to leave his dinner half hour later then see if that makes a difference and if he dont eat just keep offering either the sandwich or some fruit during the day.

Katiekoo
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
As suggested by mushpea, don't make it easy for him to refuse! I have a fussy 1 yr old and I get them down from the table if they start refusing food or spitting out. A tiny thought of getting nothing at all and they quickly see that they need to eat up!

rickysmiths
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
My one year old is sitting eating Roast Turkey mash csrrots and brocolli all chopped up with gravy. I have a spoon and so does he and we do a spoonful each alternately. This system seems to work well as they master using a spoon themselves.

Helen79
05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't puree anything up either. If he's only just turned 1 and still needs purees then I'd ask parents to bring jars or homemade mush. I provide all food except purees which parents bring.
If he's an older 1 yr old then I'd just give whatever the others have, so for lunch sandwiches, veg sticks, crackers etc and dinner would just be whatever we were having but I wouldn't mush it up. They don't get a yogurt unless they had a really good go at it.
If he still refuses everything then I'd ask parents to provide all the food or give you a list of all the finger food that he will eat.

miffy
05-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd ask the parents to provide all his food for a couple of weeks so that you can see what he's eating at home - quantity and consistency.

That's what I do - it's much easier to get an idea than when you ask parents

Miffy xx

JoJo*
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks all- I've tried distracting his attention with spoons and baby forks- this hasn't worked either- tried the airplane on spoon n silly fun games to help him enjoy meal times-
i think he would be happy with just his milk which is why I end up giving in....
He only has milk at nap time and water any other time.
Today I got raspberries blown at me at dinner time, this was before he had even got the salmon on the fork?? :) Maybe it's still all new as he has never been left? The parents have listed plenty of fruit and veg which he likes but when I offer these he shakes his head still?
Do you think maybe he is just testing me?
Thanks again.

mushpea
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
it is all new to him and he is testing to see what he can get away with,, the one year old at mine today refused to eat his sandwich and when the fruit came out he wanted that,, I kept telling him when he ate his sandwich he would get his fruit, eventualy he gave in and ate about 3/4 of his sandwich so I gave him his fruit.
you could always experimant and see what happens when you dont offer him anything else, he might realise after a few times of not getting anything that you mean buisness and then start eating

khlwomitchell
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks all- I've tried distracting his attention with spoons and baby forks- this hasn't worked either- tried the airplane on spoon n silly fun games to help him enjoy meal times-
i think he would be happy with just his milk which is why I end up giving in....
He only has milk at nap time and water any other time.
Today I got raspberries blown at me at dinner time, this was before he had even got the salmon on the fork?? :) Maybe it's still all new as he has never been left? The parents have listed plenty of fruit and veg which he likes but when I offer these he shakes his head still?
Do you think maybe he is just testing me?
Thanks again.

with my son 20mths and my minded child 9 mths if they muck about after all my efforts i put them for a nap and feed them after that. some times thay are just not hungry. I would though put this past the parents though.

I still chop up some stuff as my boy won't eat jacket potato and beans but will mashed together.
If he's a fussy eater i'd defo do a few pieces as too many gets thrown.
then do tiny cheese spread sandwiches and snack a jacks and banana slices. my very very fussy eldest would eat that!
but i would also fill them up with fromage frais after, add mashed banana to make it more filling?

Helen79
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Does he feed himself with his hands and not use a fork or spoon at home maybe? I'd just give him a plate of finger foods like cooked veggies, plain pasta etc that he can pick up himself and leave him to get on with it by himself.
While he's still settling with you and still having milk at nap times I would just leave him to explore at mealtimes and make it fun without trying to feed him.

JoJo*
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks- Its all really helpful advice, Ive left lunch a little later today, and hes had about 2 mouthfulls which is better than normal - and im leaving him to do it himself - with his hands as hes lobbed the fork -so far so good? so fingers crossed.....
My 3 yr old is now thinking he can get away with it, No way!! haha