PDA

View Full Version : Double Buggy Question

samb
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I want to get a different double as mine is too heavy. I have been looking at loads and always side by side styles. However, I dont know why I dismiss one in front of the other. So, should I widen my search to include these or not?! What are people's views?

PS I am not using my double at the mo so have time to look around unless I manage to get a new mindee that will need it too of course!

desiderata
04-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I know everyones ideas are different so dont shoot me please. I have been minding 18 years and in this time have used many different doubles, side by side and tandem but the one I have now is the only one I would recommend it is the Baby Jogger elite twin . Its fabx plenty of space and goes through my front door. The kids love itx

boxtree7
04-09-2011, 04:49 PM
i purchased phil & teds city .. it expensive but worth the money. Its so easy to push and light. It well worth spending that much as it can be jusified.

samb
04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Says the Jogger Elite is 17.7kg! Wow that is heavy! But you still recommend? Maybe I need a trip to baby's r us and mothercare for a little push around?!

sweets
04-09-2011, 05:07 PM
i have the elite single and its lovely, the double apparantly isnt much wider!

i have a jane powertwin double but am going to sell that as i have my heart set on a baby jogger city select which is a double and single in one :thumbsup: I have a tiny house and being able to store just one pram is a big bonus for me.

the only trouble is they are very expensive :(

a friend has the baby jogger city mini double and that is really nice to push, v light and folds up small but it is a side by side which i don't like, just can't get on with them, but if i had to have one thats what id go for :thumbsup:

desiderata
04-09-2011, 05:09 PM
yeah its been my ideal pushchair you can lift the bottom of the seat up so tinies can lie flat and I have used it with a 9 week old and his 2 year old brother when we went out for the day and it was ideal for both (the two year old is quite big for his age and he was more than comfortable there was room for more. And with all the storage on it its amazing !

fionamal
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Ive had many doubles but so far my favourite has to the the Jane Powertwin:clapping:

khlwomitchell
04-09-2011, 07:00 PM
i'm of the school of Phil and Teds. I know loads of minders and others who have these, so versatile, single buggy, 3yr and upto 5 yr at once, new baby and toddler, two toddlers, one in buggy and room for a buggy board and a decent basket too.
Its about average weight, has a great raincover thats easy to fit.
From the sound of it the price online of one with a doubles kit is ok £300, but they hold the value, my friend sold hers after 2 years for £180.
Defo go to mothercare and try them all out.
My second choice would be jane powertwin too xxx

blue bear
04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I've got a phil and teds sport and maclaren twin triumph.
Maclaren is side by side fits through doors, fairly light weight folds small for boot and easy to lift. Both seats lay flat fir tiny lo and is still bug enough for 3 year olds, buggy boards fit on no problem.
It hurts my shoulder to push as it's wide.

Phil and teds goes from single to double quickly, buggy pod fits on the side to carry 3 children. Easy to push one handed, children argue over lower seat, they all love the phil and teds and are comfy in it. Fits through doors no trouble, lays flat for one baby.

It's heavy to lift in and out of the boot and I need to take wheels off to fit in vw sharan.

I would take children with me to road test buggies if you can or if not take bags of potatoes because they handle differently when they have weight in.

khlwomitchell
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I've got a phil and teds sport and maclaren twin triumph.
Maclaren is side by side fits through doors, fairly light weight folds small for boot and easy to lift. Both seats lay flat fir tiny lo and is still bug enough for 3 year olds, buggy boards fit on no problem.
It hurts my shoulder to push as it's wide.

Phil and teds goes from single to double quickly, buggy pod fits on the side to carry 3 children. Easy to push one handed, children argue over lower seat, they all love the phil and teds and are comfy in it. Fits through doors no trouble, lays flat for one baby.

It's heavy to lift in and out of the boot and I need to take wheels off to fit in vw sharan.
I would take children with me to road test buggies if you can or if not take bags of potatoes because they handle differently when they have weight in.

it was just perfect sideways in my multipla, i measured all the ones mothercare had! love my boot on the renault espace i now have, loads of space by moving seats forward a little each x

samb
04-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Wow thanks everyone! I am not keen on the Phil and Teds - I don't understand the "bottom" seat - surely this is not very sociable?! Do you put the younger one in there? Or if you have 2 similar age what do you do? Does it matter? DO they get in the way - as in do you kick the seat?!

I currently have the Maclaren Twin Techno - old style which according to the reviews is about 3kg heavier than the newer style one.

The powertwin is one in front of the other? How is this? I take it you would just get used to it being longer - what do the kids think of being in the back seat? Do they have enough leg room or annoy the child in front with kicking?!

desiderata
04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I had a powertwin before the elite and I found the child in the front seat caught his feet in the wheel. Also I found it tipped over occasionally when getting up kerbs thats why I changed.

khlwomitchell
05-09-2011, 06:26 AM
i was worried about the bottom one but the younger one will always go there and you can hang toys from the back of the front seat, no different from the rear facing car seats. They do end up sitting to one side and peeking out. Only the older stroppy ones kick and not very often.

The Jane power twin is not alot longer than the jane single version, folds to same size more or less. it was easy to push too, three wheelers seem so light!

blue bear
05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Mine fight over the back seat! They tip up and chat to me and the other walking children, it's the front seat that's less sociable as they can't see you. Have never found the lower seat to get in the way.
I have slime in my tyres in case of punctures because although having air in the tyres makes it easier to push they are a real pain when they go down.

None if mine kick in the back seat they are too busy chatting and singing.

PixiePetal
05-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I have 3 double buggys :blush:

Jane twin two - tandem. bought when i lived in a town with narrow pavements and wanted something sturdy and comfy. I still like it but now we have moved house and live in the country so I needed a buggy I can get on the bus :rolleyes: need to sell this one

Phil &teds - got this new when we moved as no other way to get out on the bus - it is ok but I am not keen on having one child at my feet - seat never gets in my way for walking though. not much room for much luggage. pushes well.

Mountain buggy terrain - bought second hand from ebay as no other buggy is suitable for off road where I live. If I used P&T the bottom child would be in the undergrowth and not get a comfy ride! Also wanted to be able to talk to them both at the same time and both sides lay really flat for sleeps :thumbsup:

handeme
05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I have the silvercross pop duo and I really don't like it, very heavy to push. I am after the out and about nipper x

mrs coops
05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
i have a baby jogger micro and its brill well worth the money :clapping:

nikki thomson
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi, I have an out n about nipper, it fits through most doorways and is 9.5kg if my memory is correct, it's so light u can push it with one hand even on rough ground and with 2 toddlers. X

mama2three
05-09-2011, 12:11 PM
i would love a nipper but it wont fit through my front door - which is vital if one of the los has fallen asleep whilst out.
Ive got a jane powertwin but its not easy to push - and constantly pulls to the right , which is a common problem apparently.

Mrs Pootle
05-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I have the Baby Weavers Baby 2 Twin which I think is great. It's a 3 wheeler and very similar to the nipper 360. It takes children of differing ages, seats recline etc etc, and best of all it's really smooth to push.:)

vaughny82
09-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I've just brought the baby jogger city mini 2011 style, but I'm sending it back. I was so excited about it arriving as well :laughing: but it is sooo tall! I'm about 5ft 4 so not the shortest of people, but it just seemed HUGE when I got it all set up and can't see how I'd be able to hang onto little peoples hands/reins while pushing it, so I'm now back to the drawing board.