PDA

View Full Version : High school age children

Bear23
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
One of mine who i've had since the day i started is due to go to high school next week, now i always just assumed that would be it... so we had the leaving party etc.
Her mum called yesterday and asked if i can still have her :eek: , atleast fior the first few weeks till she settles in etc. She's quite shy etc.

Now i've always said no to high school children, i'd worry too much about them arriving here safely, she'd be coming quite a way on her own as she's gone to a school out of our area.... I really want to say no as i would be so worried

I need some advice from those who have children arriving on there own? Does it work?

Katiekoo
04-09-2011, 09:02 AM
I've got one starting next week and I'm dead worried! I found a good policy for independent arrival to childminder setting, I added some bits about playing out too as this child want to go out and visit friends and got to the shop etc. forgot to put link - http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html
I got the child to sign so she knows what is expected of her. Think my hair might get even more grey! :panic:
I'll be keen to see what people have to say.

Bear23
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
thats another reason i don't want to, she'll want to go and play with her friends :panic: :panic: , couldn't cope with it haha x

Andrea08
04-09-2011, 10:51 AM
hi, have a chatt with mum to see if this is just for the first week or two to help this child settle and have a base,

i have worked with older children and i found once i settled into it and relaxed (nb lots of permission forms etc) i was fine and it worked out ok

think about allowing risk taking for this age and how we can help guide these children into becoming good well rounded adults,

have another think about it good luck