PDA

View Full Version : those of you with dogs

Bear23
04-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Where do they stay when you are minding....

my two are allowed in occassionally when i am working, they are both labs so very friendly but sometimes they get to excited so i need to keep them away, at the moment they are in the kitchen as they then have direct access to the garden, but i know this uis probably a no no due to the hygiene side of things....

marleymoo
04-09-2011, 08:27 AM
we have 2 puppies who play, sleep, eat in their own large play pen at the moment, i'm just as curious to hear what others have to say as i would love them to be able to move about more freely.
i'm wathing your thread with interest

miss mopple
04-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Mine have the kitchen during the day usually, and a playpen in the garden. Not ideal using the kitchen but I dont provide meals, the lunchboxes go straight from fridge to table, so I dont seee it as a major problem

They also have a crate each- 1 in hallway (behind gate) and 1 in dining room where they sleep. The kids know to never open the crates

Bear23
04-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Mine have the kitchen during the day usually, and a playpen in the garden. Not ideal using the kitchen but I dont provide meals, the lunchboxes go straight from fridge to table, so I dont seee it as a major problem

They also have a crate each- 1 in hallway (behind gate) and 1 in dining room where they sleep. The kids know to never open the crates

thanks so the kitchens fine then? I do meals tho? The back gardens not registered its purely for the dogs, i was thinking of maybe getting a house thing for them outside but not sure i'd cope with that in the winter, they are both very spoilt :blush:

marleymoo
04-09-2011, 08:47 AM
my childminding space is open plan kitchen, lounge, dining and i do do meals. i have a garden that can easily be sectioned off for the dogs and a laundry room i could put them in when it's cold i suppose but i'd feel so sorry for them:(

QualityCare
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Mine stays in the utility room with gate across and access to outside, when the children are outside he knows he is too stay indoors, comes into where the children are playing at least once a day and then stays in dining area of open plan living room behind safety gate. When parents come and he is in the play area with us he knows he has to go out so takes the opportunity to sneak upstairs and lay on our bed!!

PixiePetal
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
mine is out for much of the day with DH but when she is home, we have her crate in the kitchen - away from food area. There's nowhere else to put it! I do meals and had my inspection last year with dog crate in situ - can't remember if dog was in at the time :laughing:

she does come out to play outside with us but tends to sunbathe in a separate part of garden - she has access all areas, mindees are sectioned off. My garden is very big :thumbsup: garden checked for poops etc but she hardly ever uses childrens area, I have more trouble from wild animal mess being there - hedgehog, rabbit and other unknowns :rolleyes:

Indoors she does not come in playroom and avoids us when she can or puts herself in the crate:)

bellacat
04-09-2011, 10:32 AM
We have a 10 month old Sprocker Spanial. We got him when he was 3 months old. Our stairs go up in a kind of square so the underneath is a nice open space. We have put a stairgate across it and he lives under there with his crate, blankets, toys and food bowls. He can see us at all times and the children can see him, but dont have any contact with him unless i am there also. When the children are having their sleep then i will let him out with me in the kitchen. During the day if he needs to wee he lets me know and i lead him by the collar to his place in the garden, and then he goes back into his safe area. He then comes out when my DH comes home from work and stays by his side.

Andrea08
04-09-2011, 10:46 AM
hi, its difficult as as i use my "spaces" differently by the hr and day...

i use my kitchen , garden and crates as i try to keep dogs and babies appart, my boys like to play with baby toys and im sick of the dog hairs in play room so not allowed in anymore ,

after 3pm i only have after school children on role atm so all children and pets mingle except play room,

xx

primula
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I keep my dog behind a safety gate, so he has access to part of the hallway and the upstairs of the house. he pops in and out as and when. i prefer it that way because I feel I can relax and dont have to worry about toddlers and dog!

mushpea
04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
mine is a lab but a very laid back soppy lazy thing! he has the run of the whole house and garden but ususaly either lays in his bed or in his kennel, the children are so used to him being around they take no notice of him and he ignores them, we have never let the children play with him or play ball games etc with him as we didnt want him to see them as playmates and it seems to have worked,, they do help me feed, groom and walk him somtimes though.

Bear23
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
your lucky, i have two hyper lab's both young, and altho i trust them around the kids, they are very bouncy so can only come in for short times x

louised
04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a shih-tzu who has the run of the house as he is as much a part of the family as my children and parents must accept that when they decide to use me for childcare. He can get through the gate at the bottom of the stairs so if he gets fed up of the children he takes himself off upstairs

khlwomitchell
04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
am considering a puppy but will make sure parents are ok with it but it will be in the entire house! or so i thought, the playroom and garden are free flow off the kitchen and i was going to use it for the dog and kids....
hmm, i suppose i'll have to risk assess it and get permission from parents to have dog there. I don't do food either. I'm thinking a cage is a must though just incase of overexcitement!?

selena 31
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
My dog has the run of the house too! He isnt ever left alone with the children but the children love him and he does them!I feel that parents know from the start i have a dog and they seemed to love that there children are with him and learning about pets this is my home and his too! I think parents are choosing our settings as childminders for the home enviroment.They wouldnt choose to come here if they minded i had a dog. :jump for joy:

mrs robbie williams
05-09-2011, 06:11 AM
we have a black lab too :thumbsup: she is very lazy and chilled out and the kids all love her, have a baby starting today who has just started crawling so going to keep dog out of playroom when she is here as she is moulting at the mo. Schoolies love her though and we often all take her for a walk. Mrs O made a big fuss of her at my inspection and Mya (the dog) lay at her feet while she was sitting at the dining room table on her laptop xx

mushpea
05-09-2011, 06:19 AM
your lucky, i have two hyper lab's both young, and altho i trust them around the kids, they are very bouncy so can only come in for short times x

ours will be 6 in november but he has always been very laid back , my partner walks him at about 5.30am before he goes to work for about half hour the he has another short walk in the evening, we find that its the routine of the walks rather than how far he walks that helps, at the weekends and in the school holidays we take him out with us most places so he gets loads more exersise but he still looks for my partner to take him out after work.
I should also have said that he is not left alone with the children as no dog can ever be fully trusted,,
I did laught the other day though cause my rabbit also has the run of the garden and the rabbit ran up and bit the dogs back leg then as the dog stud up he tried to jump on the dogs back and the dog just walked off:laughing: he is such a wimp

Dragonfly
05-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Mine is a puppy so can only mix a small part of the day as the children wouldnt leave him alone.But up until 3 and half years ago I had a BIG Lurcher who mixed all through the daY WITH THE CHILDREN (parents knew this from the start) and hopefully when the puppy is old enough and clam enough he will to.I think it is so sad when they are fence away ALL the day, can understand some of the day, as long as the dog/children are supervised and the dog isnt left alone with the children, they can become great friends.
I feed mine in the utility room also water is there,but I dont see there is a problem with the kitchen as long as dog is not jumping up to where the food is.

Greengrass74
05-09-2011, 07:06 AM
We have a lovely westie who I would trust totally with the mindees, however she stays in the study during working hours.

All it takes is for one of the LO's to stand on her or pull her when no one is looking and she will snap this is a natural reaction by all dogs so we air on the side of caution.

AliceK
05-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Mine is a puppy so can only mix a small part of the day as the children wouldnt leave him alone.But up until 3 and half years ago I had a BIG Lurcher who mixed all through the daY WITH THE CHILDREN (parents knew this from the start) and hopefully when the puppy is old enough and clam enough he will to.I think it is so sad when they are fence away ALL the day, can understand some of the day, as long as the dog/children are supervised and the dog isnt left alone with the children, they can become great friends.
I feed mine in the utility room also water is there,but I dont see there is a problem with the kitchen as long as dog is not jumping up to where the food is.

Same here. We used to have a huge lurcher X who had the run of the house and used to just lay down and go to sleep in the middle of all the noise and chaos of the children playing. After losing him last year we now have a 5mth old ESP. He is very playful and just a bit naughty :laughing: so he spends most of the time in the kitchen and garden when I'm working, I have his crate in the kitchen and I put him in there at meal times. I am trying to let him have more freedom but only if he's calm and hope that one day when he's calm enough he too will have the run of the house with the mindees. He comes on walks with us to the park and woods. The children love him.

xxx