PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mind a child with coeliacs??

Beetlejuice
03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
My new mindee starts monday and she has coeliac disease. Mum says on the grand scale it's quite mild but I've done a bit of prep on it (bought bamboo spoons for cooking/ various gluten free flours etc). I don't have to give her a main meal which is helpful but will need to give her snacks. I'm told she eats LOADS!!:eek: What do you do for snacks? I know she can have fruit no probs and I'm making some gluten free biscuits, cheese straws etc.

Anyone care to share their ideas please?

Many thanks

B x

christine e
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I mind a little one with this. For snacks she eats fruit, rice cakes, toast (gluten free bread which they get on prescription and give to me to freeze), I get breadsticks and crackers from the 'free from ranges' in supermarkets (I shop at Tesco, Asda and Morrisons). Thankfully she can now eat dairy products now (she use to have an intolerance) so she has cheese cubes. Why the bamboo spoons though?

Christine

loocyloo
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
my friends children are all coeliacs.

when they were little and used to come round & play, i used to make cakes & biscuits using gluten free flour. to be honest, it does taste a bit different, but i found generally all the children would eat the cakes anyway!

mrs mc
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi I haven't minded any children with coeliac disease but worked as a dietitian prior to becoming a childminder. I would agree with previous replies of fruit, rice cakes and get parents to provide you with some of the child's prescription flour, bread and biscuits.

Dragonfly
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
No, but i have it, have done for over 20 years.Dont understand on the grand scale only mild? you either have it or not.Find out by biopsy.

jane5
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
My dd 3yr has coeliac disease plus other allergies.

The list of prescription products from the GP has been drastically reduced due to all of the cuts and the bread available now is horrible and my dd wont eat it. I buy "Genius" gluten free bread which is really tasty but costs £2.98 for a small loaf. The warburtons is quite nice too.

There are lots of gluten free products available now but I find that most things are aimed at adults and are full of salt and sugar. There are a few for children but every thing is sooo expensive.

Tesco, Asda and Morrisons have a "free from" range but I think Sainsburys have the biggest range. Gluten is in so many things that you would not expect so you will have to read lots of labels.

PM me if you want any more information :thumbsup:

Beetlejuice
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
No, but i have it, have done for over 20 years.Dont understand on the grand scale only mild? you either have it or not.Find out by biopsy.

Think she was trying to put my mind at ease by reassuring me I won't kill her if her food gets contaminated lol!! I think she thinks people won't look after her if she has coeliacs but for me it was a no brainer - it's just an adaption after all and I can easily accommodate her.

Re the bamboo spoons - I am friends with a lady who makes gluten-free cakes for a living and apparently you cannot bake using wooden spoons if you've already used them for regular baking as no amount of dishwashing etc gets rid of the gluten as it gets ingrained in the wood. I'm sure people may tell me now that it's never affected them but I don't want to risk it so have a nice set of bamboo spoons just for cooking stuff for her.

I've just make my first batch of g-free Welsh cakes and they are GORGEOUS!!!

Thanks for all your replies!
B x

tialil
03-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi my son has a gluten intolerence and we have had lists off Sainsburys in the past of all their branded food that is gluten free. We use Dove farm flour for baking (well he does now as he is nearly 14 and likes to bake). On the back of the floor are some lovely fairy cakes and brownie recipes.
He has also made his own sweet pancake mix up with the flour. :)

He does not like the gluten free bread - have tried so many makes but he will use a muffin cut in half to make a pizza - quite nice they are to. :thumbsup:

angiemog
04-09-2011, 08:53 AM
My friend works in a nursery with a lo who is a coeliac. Mum provided flour for them to make playdough for all the children to use. You may have already thought of it but an idea if you haven't. :)

Monkey26
04-09-2011, 09:14 AM
We have a two young Italian girl's staying with us at the moment - one is a coeliac and the other is vegetarian - instead of sandwiches i am giving the coeliac DS crisp breads instead and she said they are really nice, they don't have them in Italy apparently so she wants me to take her to Sainsburys on her last day so she can stock up :D Sainsburys definately has the largest range of free from items - i should know i am cows milk intolerant! So yes, our house is fun at the moment... a cows milk intolerant, a coeliac and a vegetarian! xx