PDA

View Full Version : daft question???!!!

amy douglas
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
where in your house do mindees sleep? i'm taking on a 13 month old mindee and while my 15 month old sleeps in her buggy, the mum tells me she probably wont sleep in a buggy, just a cot. i wont be using the upstairs of my house for minding but can get hold of a travel cot but there is nowhere in our house to put it downstairs so it will have to go upstairs. when Ofsted come back to do my grading, should i tell them?because i told them on the first visit the children will not be going upstairs. hope this makes sense and i haven't waffled on too much.

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
i'm certain that you would have to get an upstairs room registered so you won't be able to put cot there. why can't they sleep on your sofa beside you?

kindredspirits
03-09-2011, 03:27 PM
it depends on your registration certificate. if there is anywhere on your certificate that states what rooms you can or cannot use then you must inform them before allowing a minded child upstairs (and provide a RA) - but if there are no stipulations then you will be ok.

When I started minding getting to my garden wasn't suitable for children - so my certificate said something along the lines of 'must not use the garden' - when i wanted my garden registered i wrote to them, told them i had made the garage safe for children to pass through (which was my issue with using the garden as the only access was through the garage full of tools), and sent them a RA and photos - they approved it immediately without a reinspection.
hth

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
i'm assuming that as you told ofsted cren won't be going upstairs then upstairs wouldn't be registered. i would do what kindredspirits did and tell them the changes you've made and why, that you've done RA and they may give you to go ahead anyway but i wouldn't use the upstairs room until then.

moggy
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Check what your certificate actually says- I had told my inspector I would not be using a particular bedroom and assumed that meant I then could not use it. But later when I decided I did want to use that room and I wrote a RA and phoned to tell them, they said it was included already! My certificate actually had no notes about rooms not included and the inspector had just included it all without me realising!
As has been said here already, if it is not included already write a RA and give Ofsted a ring.

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
this is because we instinctively go into panic mode. my cert has a definite exclusion for upstairs front bedroom and attic.

amy douglas
03-09-2011, 04:36 PM
thank you all for your advice. i will do a risk assessment for upstairs then give ofsted a ring to check its all ok with them. ive checked my registration certificate and it doesnt say anything about not using upstairs.

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
then i can only assume that you can use it already as moggy found. the reason it might be different for me is because i am registered for overnight care and i don't know any different. i had to jump through a whole diff set of hoops!

Beetlejuice
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Upstairs in my DDs room and my room if I have more than one asleep at a time. I've got the whole house registered. When I had three children of sleeping age I had one in the dining room in a buggy, one in a cot in DDs room and one in my room in a buggy. Ofsted were cool with it.

mandy moo
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I TOLD Ofsted that the only room to be registered up stairs, was my own bedroom and ensuite, this is where I put children that sleep or have a nap during the day.
I didnt want my childrens rooms registered, I felt they ought to be able to have somewhere to chill and get away from it all if need be.

birch24
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Check what your certificate actually says- I had told my inspector I would not be using a particular bedroom and assumed that meant I then could not use it. But later when I decided I did want to use that room and I wrote a RA and phoned to tell them, they said it was included already! My certificate actually had no notes about rooms not included and the inspector had just included it all without me realising!
As has been said here already, if it is not included already write a RA and give Ofsted a ring.

This is exactly what happened to me.:D

khlwomitchell
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
then i can only assume that you can use it already as moggy found. the reason it might be different for me is because i am registered for overnight care and i don't know any different. i had to jump through a whole diff set of hoops!

I'm overnight registered, i had to have my garden done by april or not used by mindees and had three rooms that cannot be used and none of that is on my registration certificate?!

I live in a bungalow though so all rooms apart from three latched off is free flow. My baby sleeps in travel cot in my bedroom.

huh, odd how they never mentioned the garden again as i'm sure it was a condition of registration?

amanda1309
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I had 3 mindees sleeping at the same time yesterday one was in buggy in hall, one was in buggy in Toy room (upstairs) and other in cot in DDs room (upstairs). Not expecting it to happen again think it was a first day fluke:laughing:

I got Toy room and DD's room registered upstairs so that I could use tjem for sleeping. Mindees are allowed upstairs after school if DD allows them. They have to be over 5 (my rule) and if DD says no they have to stay downstairs.

Babycat
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I came head to head with the same question from a parent.

I told them that in different settings children can adapt quickly to their new environment and how and where they sleep. In the nursery I remember putting my 1-2s down to sleep on mats and they all adjusted to that well. Even if there were kids who would be going home playing quietly at the other side of the room.

Anyway, I thought about it for a while. I can tuck a buggy safely in my hall downstairs- so thats 1! A mat at one side of room (sitting room) children at other doing quiet activities! Can I put a cot/ pram in my kitchen? (is that safe if Im not cooking and only offer cold food?)

Can my son in minded hours sleep in his own room even if its not registered?

Sorry I hijacked your post! Also if anyone is looking for a sleep mat I found a supplier on ebay doing them for £14 all in.

caz3007
04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I told my inspector that I didnt want to use my bedrooms, but she was an ex minder and suggested that I had them all registered just in case. I used to use the bedrooms just for sleeping, but now put the travel cot in my back lounge. At the moment some days I only have one LO, so whilst she is asleep in another room I can do my own thing, sit with feet up, watch a bit of TV or do paperwork at the table

Flisspaps
04-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Can my son in minded hours sleep in his own room even if its not registered?

Yes - your conditions of registration would only affect minded children, not your own so your son can sleep wherever you want him to.