PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do mainly schoolies?

crazyhazy
01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been childminding just over a year now and it's been a bit up and down, was tricky at first space wise cos my own 2 took up my two under 5 spaces, but now my eldest has started school it's getting easier. However, I have a 17m old on mondays all day and a 4y old just started mon, tue, thur and fri part time. Now my other mindees are a 4.5y old before and after school mon-thur and another 4.5y old tue-fri before school. I will be having my neice 5.5y mon, wed and fri before and after school from the end of oct.

So, I'm pretty full but today got an enquiry for a 6y old mon-fri before and after school, I am very tempted! The family are moving here in oct and she'll be at the same school my daughter, niece and mindees are at, seems ideal. But I'm unsure about having nearly all schoolies? This is a new age for me really and although I'm thinking it will be lovely when my youngest starts preschool in jan, I might even get a few hours to myself :idea: I'm unsure about having no littlies really. Does anyone else do mainly schoolies? How does it work with activities etc and are they all close in age?

caz3007
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I had a phase of just having after schoolies, due to demand and it was nice having the day to myself as my LO was in school. The after schoolies were all friends and it worked well. I had them for 5 years and they have now gone as they are too old

nokidshere
02-09-2011, 06:50 AM
I have only had schoolies for the past 3 years and I love it.

I worked for 3 hours each day and really little to do in the way of paperwork and activities. And I got 6 hours a day to myself :D No drawbacks really!

Until next tuesday when I am taking on a 15 month old!! I shall miss my free time but will manage since he is sooo cute!

helengreen13
02-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Yes I now have main after schoolies (would prefer during the day but has not worked out like that). On a Mon and Tuesday I will have either 9 or 10 after schoolies (plus my own 3). Some are just for an hour and some two hours. I have my sister to help me and we often go to the local park (some mums pick up there). I try to arrange an activity if the weather is bad that all the children can join in. Their age ranges are between 4 and 8 and are mainly girls. My main problem is they all come in and dump their bags shoes etc and never keep them together. I have tried hooks but that did not work and I have tried boxes too but didnt have anywhere to store them when not in use and didnt want 10 boxes in my hallway. Any ideas how to address this would be great through. I have all day Mon and Fri off and then work tuesday, wednesday and thursday p/t. I am now going to concentrate on lo's during the day as my youngest starts school in a week :eek:

catminder
02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Since my local school started breakfast and after school clubs I have gradually lost my school pick ups and drop offs. Now I just have under 5s which I am hoping they will all stay with me as they progress to school.

Lady Haha
02-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I have only had schoolies for the past 3 years and I love it.

I worked for 3 hours each day and really little to do in the way of paperwork and activities. And I got 6 hours a day to myself :D No drawbacks really!

Until next tuesday when I am taking on a 15 month old!! I shall miss my free time but will manage since he is sooo cute!

I was totally with you on this post til I saw the last paragraph! There's no way I would give up my six hours a day memememeeee time!!! I love schoolies! And you don't even need to organise crafts for them half the time, just leave the craft stuff accessible and the stuff they create with their imagination, a bit of bubble wrap, some ribbon, sequins, cotton wool and an empty tissue box is just fantastic!

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
in an ideal world, i'd either do all little uns 9-3 and no schoolies, or all schoolies and no little uns. i don't like both lots - it's too much like hard work and i'm developing an aversion to hard work.

mandy moo
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I have 4 minded children they are contracted term time only, after schoolers,

As of Tuesday my own two will leave the house at 8.30, to catch their taxi to school.
So in theory I could stay in bed till 2.45 when I go to pick my minded children up from school,
In practice tho, my two would never get to school if it wasnt for me moaning at them, to eat breakfast, get dressed, get washed, brush teeth, books ready, pencil case in bag, pe kit ready, lunch money/got packed lunch? etc etc :rolleyes:

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
sounds good to me. is this how you intended to work or has it just happened that way? i only ask because i only ever intended on doing overnight so that i could continue to do freelance legal work during the day and it just never happened that way. might be why i'm such a grump

mrs robbie williams
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I have 3 before and after schoolies and have a new baby starting on monday but only for three days a week so will still get 2 days to do paperwork/housework etc. I love having the day to myself but i must admit it has made me lazy, browsing on here and there isnt a rush to do anything because there's always tomorow :rolleyes: but will have to get a routine now which is what i need.
As regards to activities, mine tend to play alot of 'schools, vets, shops' all role play stuff before school and after school they love going in the garden on the trampoline, i have activities on hand such as painting/playdo etc but find where they have been at school all day they just want to chill :thumbsup:

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I have 3 before and after schoolies and have a new baby starting on monday but only for three days a week so will still get 2 days to do paperwork/housework etc. I love having the day to myself but i must admit it has made me lazy, browsing on here and there isnt a rush to do anything because there's always tomorow :rolleyes: but will have to get a routine now which is what i need.
As regards to activities, mine tend to play alot of 'schools, vets, shops' all role play stuff before school and after school they love going in the garden on the trampoline, i have activities on hand such as painting/playdo etc but find where they have been at school all day they just want to chill :thumbsup:

same here mrs robbie williams (you wish :laughing: )
having a baby AT ALL is my worst nightmare but having just a baby all day would be enough to send me into early retirement. you can't surely be looking forward to this???

mandy moo
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
With me it just happened that way,
The LO I was looking after, Dad had to relocate to Norwich with his job unfortunatley,
Then I had a 3 1/2 yr old join me he went to the local montessori 8.30 - 3pm,
My other 3 mindees are a girl of 5 and siblings boy of 6 and girl of 9, they all joined me last september.
The boy are quite happy playing on the DS, or on the Wii, or just chilling in front of the TV.
The Girls love arts and crafts, drawing, so I generally just put bits and peices out and leave them to it and on occasion, the boys will come and join in or the girls will go watch the TV.

mrs robbie williams
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=marleymoo;977756]same here mrs robbie williams (you wish :laughing: )
having a baby AT ALL is my worst nightmare but having just a baby all day would be enough to send me into early retirement. you can't surely be looking forward to this???

ok maybe looking forward to is a bit extreme, but she is very sweet :thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing:

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
looking forward to your posts after this "sweet" new baby starts. i will give it 3 working days tops before you're on here ranting :laughing:
if not, i will cheerfully eat one of my hats

cockatoos
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I've only just started minding and had a couple of school aged boys of the summer on and off. My boys are 9 and 4, and it really didn't work well! Had a baby 12 months yesterday though and it was sooooo lovely - no arguments, no fights, no nagging for ice cream! I think I'm going to try to stick to the little ones! Give me paperwork over arguing children any day!

marleymoo
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I've only just started minding and had a couple of school aged boys of the summer on and off. My boys are 9 and 4, and it really didn't work well! Had a baby 12 months yesterday though and it was sooooo lovely - no arguments, no fights, no nagging for ice cream! I think I'm going to try to stick to the little ones! Give me paperwork over arguing children any day!

couldn't agree more

nokidshere
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I was totally with you on this post til I saw the last paragraph! There's no way I would give up my six hours a day memememeeee time!!! I love schoolies! And you don't even need to organise crafts for them half the time, just leave the craft stuff accessible and the stuff they create with their imagination, a bit of bubble wrap, some ribbon, sequins, cotton wool and an empty tissue box is just fantastic!

LOL I must admit I think I am a bit mad - but its for a parent who's little girl I used to have before she went to school in a different town. Parents are divorcing and moving round the corner from me so what could I do? LOL

I console myself that it will only be for 2 years max and then I can have my days back!! Defo no more littlies after that - ever!!!! :laughing:

(and he is sooooo cute I could eat him)