PDA

View Full Version : Which age do you prefer....

Pandypops
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
.....to mind? So far I have only minded a boy of 13 months and a baby of 5 months.

So, I was just wondering what age groups you like to mind the best? I really want an older child too so I can "play" more games/have conversation etc....

MAWI
01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Preschool 3-5. not so limiting with feeding/sleeping routines and much more fun. I also find activities and Obs easier for this age group

blue bear
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I like them all for different reasons. I have all part timers and a mix of term time and holiday only children so have a real mix of ages.

funemnx
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Most of my lo's' are between 17m and 6 years now although I've had older ones who've now moved on.

All of the ages have their merits and 'challenges' - at the moment because I've got 8 EYFS folders to do, I'm thinking the older children will be a lot better :laughing: :laughing:

The older ones can be complicated and loud and argumentative but small people can be the same! Older children can be very self sufficient and easier to take out and about but they sometimes get bored very easily.....

mushpea
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I have looked after all ages but this summer I have only had the under 5's and I can honestly say I prefer it,, if i could afford it I wouldnt have the 'o, its not that I dont like them cause i do and its nice to have a proper conversation somtimes! but they are harder work in my oppinion as they need more entertaining, I have always had 'older toys and activitiys' avalible which helps but as they get older they tend to not only resent being in childcare but you can see that they would rather be in their own home with their own stuff which I can fully understand.

kel1983
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
We currently have
8 month old
18 month old
2 year old
2 1/2 year old
3 year old
4 year old
4 1/2 year old
5 year old

Out of them all I think I enjoy the 18month to the 3 year old

Beetlejuice
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I would say the under 5s however this summer I've had an incredible time with my LOs (7 and 4) and a little boy mindee who is 5.5. He's just been a temporary mindee (mum is a friend of one of my clients and just needed two weeks care) and he's been amazing. I've loved every minute of having him and would happily have 10 of him lol

Bananabrain
02-09-2011, 07:05 AM
I would much prefer to have older ones, especially juniors. I love sitting down doing 'projects' crafts and playing daft games!
And, they don't eat mud:laughing:

singlewiththree
02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
It depends on the child. I have had really lovely to be around children of all ages and those who I can't wait to go home, so I can't put an age to it

PixiePetal
02-09-2011, 07:51 AM
I love having them start as tinies and finish as they go to school :thumbsup:

love being there through the earliest learning stages - walking, feeding, talking.......... maybe not so much potty training though! :rolleyes: and helping new parents through the stages too

liked the young schoolies when mine were that age but now they are 17 and 14, prefer to keep the littlies

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
don't like babies or over 8's. best age 3-5 as they're out of nappies and spend half of their day at school nursery yay!

Carol M
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I can honestly say I like all ages but what I find stressful is mixing them :blush:
I prefer the older ones only in the hols and we can go out and about to suit them without worrying about the suitability for the lo's.
That said, I still stress with the 0-5 age differences as the 3-5 group can access things that might not be safe (chokeable stuff etc) for the younger ones and with the best will in the world for supervision it can be a nightmare.
Carol xx

kel1983
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
We currently have
8 month old
18 month old
2 year old
2 1/2 year old
3 year old
4 year old
4 1/2 year old
5 year old

Out of them all I think I enjoy the 18month to the 3 year old

I have changed my mind today. We have had 5 children here today. 8 month old, 2 1/2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old and 5 year old. They have all played lovely together and went to the park and they all got on and played on the equipment without me having to stand right next to them as they were all confident climbers

FussyElmo
02-09-2011, 11:58 AM
The ones that dont whinge :D

Greengrass74
02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Not really sure as we have such a range from 8 months to 16 years, and we have such a mix as well with various SEN and disabilities.

I suppose if I had to choose it would be from 8 years onwards for me, I know Claire loves the babies.

But at the end of the day we get so much satisfaction whatever age :thumbsup:

louised
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
definately 0-3 years for me, I hate school runs as my own children are teenagers so they don't need taking to school. I wish I could say i won't do school runs but my schoolies all have younger siblings which i would lose if i said that.

Lady Haha
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Definitely schoolies! all mine are between aged 6 and 9 (so no nasty EYFS either :D ). Soooo many reasons! They can look after themselves alot, go to the loo on their own, feed themselves, get toys out, put toys away, turn the laptop top on, set the wii up and put the games in, walk sensibly etc etc! They are funny, witty and charming (sometimes!).

We do such interesting topics more suited to older children, so not stuck with 'Spring' or 'Farm Animals', but have done 'First Aid Training for Kids' and 'Special Needs' amongst others.

The crafts and art etc are more interesting!

No nasty EYFS...

Term time, I have six hours to myself every day!

Downside is the arguements, spitefulness, rude words (occasionally), rude drawings (even more occasionally!) and as I found out, as they turn 10, they get a bit of an attitude! But maybe that was just 'that' mindee who is no longer with us.......:rolleyes:

Oh and did I mention, no nasty EYFS????:cool: