PDA

View Full Version : cupboard/draw locks and storing cleaning and medicine items?

jw19nr
09-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello. A friend of mine came round the other day to fit the catches on my cupboards and draws. However, he did one, and when I went to use it, it fell off! I don't think the wood is strong enough or something to hold the screws? I am useless at DIY!!! I do have one that can hook round the handles, but this won't work on the draws etc.

Also, if I keep my medicines and cleaning products in the top kitchen cupboard, would this be ok? Do I still need a lock on it?

Thanks

Pipsqueak
09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
You need to show that a child cannot access the meds/liquids etc.

Best way to do this - get down to various childsizes - crawling, 2yr old, 5yr old and ahve a good look around your home.

Most kids once past 21/2yrs can manipulate catches anyway!!! So higher storage the better but then they learn to get a stool or chair.

manjay
09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I use the magnetic locks on my undersink cupboard and my cutlery drawer (oh and my sweetie hiding place). I struggle to get in myself most days:rolleyes:

amanda xx

Pipsqueak
09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I use the magnetic locks on my undersink cupboard and my cutlery drawer (oh and my sweetie hiding place). I struggle to get in myself most days:rolleyes:

amanda xx

Where'd you get magnetic ones Amanda? Not heard of them before

manjay
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Where'd you get magnetic ones Amanda? Not heard of them before

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1067372&classificationid=1048167&slmRefer=000

I love them as they can be turned off if you want to aswell. Have to say I do struggle a bit sometimes to get the magnet in the right place to open them:rolleyes: but they are very strong

amanda xx

deeb66
09-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I also use the mag locks and think they are brilliant.

I got mine off ebay!

Pipsqueak
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that

Spangles
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Apparently, according to my dev officer, it's a misprint that you have to have medicines locked in a cupboard, they do not recommend this at all.

I'm going to take a look at the magnetic locks now!

Cazz
09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Those magnetic locks look really good! Might invest in some of them!

I have my crockery in a low level cupboard, would I have to have a lock on that? I know if I didn't I would have to take a chance if anything got broken but I'd prefer not to move them as that cupboard is opposite the dishwasher so it's much quicker to put everything away!

Carole x

sarah707
10-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Apparently, according to my dev officer, it's a misprint that you have to have medicines locked in a cupboard, they do not recommend this at all.

Here is the updated information from teachernet :D

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/clarificationsandfaqs/

manjay
10-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Those magnetic locks look really good! Might invest in some of them!

I have my crockery in a low level cupboard, would I have to have a lock on that? I know if I didn't I would have to take a chance if anything got broken but I'd prefer not to move them as that cupboard is opposite the dishwasher so it's much quicker to put everything away!

Carole x

I don't have them on all cupboards, just the one under the sink, the cutlery drawer and my special sweetie cupboard (that one is more for my children then mindees). Like I said the ones I have can be deactivated so if you wanted them on the crockery cupboard you could and just turn the lock on when mindees are around. Mine are always supervised when in the kitchen but have never had a problem tbh. The children only ever seem to go in their cupboard which is the one with the plastic cups and plates

amanda xx

miffy
10-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Those magnetic locks look good - thank you

Thanks Sarah for the update on EYFS

miffy xx