PDA

View Full Version : why you should never work for family

marleymoo
01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
:(
my husband's neice asked if i could care for her dd and drop off/pick up at a school i would never normally cover (totally out of my way). however, i admired her for wanting to go to uni (she's a v young mum of 2) and i agreed. almost immed i get mum in law quizzing my dh what i'm charging her (in the vein of i shouldn't be charging at all) so i knew there was going to be trouble ahead. i'd agreed to only charge for the hours she actually used and nil during school hols as she wasn't getting help towards childcare from anywhere. i don't think i could have done fairer than that as her dd was afterall taking up an under 5 place 3 days a week, which would be worth £120 to me. so anyway, as i was taking this lo on i had an enquiry for that same nursery and thought well i might as well, i'm there anyway. so, i took on that contract worth £164pw too. now my dh's neice has just texted me to say she can do her course in evening classes instead and won't need me afterall. i wouldn't be bothered normally, in fact i'd be relieved coz i expected mum in law to have a dig at me but now i'm stuck with a school i don't want to do! aaarrrrgh!

blue bear
01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
What a pain, get yourself a glass of wine!

sarah707
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Family and friends... just say no! :(

Hugs xx

Mamma4Ya
02-09-2011, 07:18 AM
I would never accept family or friends no matter how desperate i was, I think they will expectt too much for too little, and it will end up a nightmare.

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 08:41 AM
i have cared for her eldest child in the past and we had no probs whatsoever, she really is a lovely girl and was a dream to work for. i'm now thinking of a way to not start this other child. i've not put a start date on her contract as yet......

miffy
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
i have cared for her eldest child in the past and we had no probs whatsoever, she really is a lovely girl and was a dream to work for. i'm now thinking of a way to not start this other child. i've not put a start date on her contract as yet......

If you really don't want to do it I'd speak to the parent and just be honest - if you do it you'll probably end up resenting it and life is far too short.............

Miffy xx

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
now i've decided not to do it i won't, that's a given. just don't wanna look like a dip stick!

barbarella68
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I look after my brothers son who is 4 on Monday and have done since he was 6 months. I have always charged him the same as everyone else, except a few perks like not for bank holidays. He has always paid never treated me like I was just a Childminder and he always gives me extra pressies at end of term etc. So it can work you just have to be lucky I suppose.:)

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
yes i minded my sister's baby for a few months but i didn't charge her at all but then my sister came to work with me so i could have my 3 under 5's back but she could only have 2. my neice has been the hardest child to care from day one and she doesn't get any easier now she's nearly 7.