PDA

View Full Version : SOOOOOOOOO UPSET!!!!

charleeboo
01-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been going through my training and have nearly finished. Got my local childminding co-ordinator coming in a couple of weeks to do a pre-ofsted visit and have been in touch with my landlord to get permission to use my house as a business premises.

Theyve said no.

What now? What do I tell my co-ordinator? I was advised by my housing advisor to get to later stages and apply. She's now phoned to say she has refused as someone else has already applied from my area and has been refused. This is because we have to have specially adapted toilets and noise(I said "what? I dont have a specially adapted toilet for my daughter!!") and it would be a bridge I would have to cross if someone with SEN came to me. As for noise, they should remove all the children from our area if that's the case and half the adults!!
Looks like Ive wasted my time with the training, the equipment Ive already got. Can I dispute it (if so, do I get their reasons in writing)?

Should I continue the training? I am hoping to buy our house in 2 years so it may not apply then. Can I get the qualifications and get the Ofsted inspection done when I persue it? What do I do? Ive put my all into it because I really wanted it and, well, I just dont know what Im going to do (jobwise), I had my heart set on it.

funemnx
01-09-2011, 02:48 PM
So sorry you've had to get this far to be stopped now!

Can you get registered without the landlord permission? If I could I probably would go ahead rather than go through it all again in 2 years time, it would be worth talking to Ofsted and finding out if you can be registered now and not mind children for a while (it can take a while to get children to mind anyway even when landlord approves!).

Also, you might be able to work with another childminder in her home for a while until you can use your own house - you would just be registered at a different address? :thumbsup:

QualityCare
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Contact landlord again and explain that being a registered childminder doesn't mean you will have loads of children you will be registered for x amount and cannot have any more. Offer to send a copy of your registration certificate as proof if you get the go ahead.
Good luck

Goatgirl
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi :),
I would carry on with the training etc for now. Once you are registered you can keep it going for 3 years without having any children on your books.
I do remember my ofsted lady asking me if i had permission from my landlord though, so it may be that they need this before they can link your certificate to a particular address? Best to ring and find out without giving too much away in case it slows things down...

I would also appeal the decision of the landlord and explain that there shouldn't be any significant increase in noise, and you don't need a specially adapted toilet, no idea where they got that info from. I live in rented accommodation too and know that if I got an enquiry for a SEN child who needed this I simply wouldn't be able to accommodate them. The landlord wouldn't be under any obligation either. Strange...

I would point out to whoever advised you to leave the permission this late that it may well mean you have wasted much time and money. At least they may tell others to apply sooner :rolleyes:

Good luck, hope you can go ahead :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

charleeboo
01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Im just so angry - I thought the government were strong arming housing associations into allowing people to work from home so the unemployment figures go down. It isnt fair. It was the same lady who phoned to refuse permission who told me to leave it until later. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I have emailed my childminding co-ordinator to see what my options are. Just waiting for the reply. Will keep you all posted.

miffy
01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
From the reply you've had it sounds like they don't understand anything about childminders or childminding. I would ask to have a meeting with whoever made the decision so you can put your case in person - perhaps your DO will go with you.

Miffy xx

newandlearning
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
From the reply you've had it sounds like they don't understand anything about childminders or childminding. I would ask to have a meeting with whoever made the decision so you can put your case in person - perhaps your DO will go with you.

Miffy xx

how frustrating and disappointing for you.. I think Miffy's advice is very good ..
try to find out if they said no because they have concerns? Is moving to a different place an option? x

FussyElmo
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Unfortunetly if the landlords dont give permission then you wont be able to childmind in the property if you were to do so all your insurances would be invalid.

The only thing you can do at this stage is to write and appeal against the decision and explain the sitution. Explain that you are limited to your numbers and that no modifications would be neccessary that you would have public liabilty etc. From an outsiders point of veiw they probably have an image of you having 20 + children rampaging through the house.

You might have to get your neighbours on side over parking etc too.

sandy64
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
oh dear poor you.you must be so disapointed i think a meeting to explain whats c.m is about and how many extra children you would have as like other have said they may think its lots. but if the landlord want budge theres not much you can do, have you thought about seeing if theres a c.m in area who would let you work from there home?????? check with your advisor to see how long after you register before you need to work,that way you will know if its worth continueing. im sorry this has happened take care:)

charleeboo
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
We cant move, weve recently moved here so I could persue it. On sign-up, they said that it wouldnt be a problem if I wanted to run a business as long as I dont have to build a garage or annoy my neighbours.

We have a double drive and have already got the neighbours onside re noise and disruption to them.

I think I'm going to ask for it in writing, appeal, appeal again then go to my MP if nothing changes. I know that might be taking it a bit far but a lady up the road has 5 or 6 children and they didnt turn her away for housing!!! Lol, i only have 1 little one to consider

butterfly
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
What about agreeing with your landlord on a suitable number of children? Maybe they would agree to less than the 6 under 8s but it would still be something. Also depending on how you get on with your neighbours how about asking them and see what they think? If they're ok with it you could ue that as an argument with the landlord?

loocyloo
01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
i'm currently in rented ... my landlady said i could mind 'the baby of my husbands employer and one other small child' ... no idea where she got the baby idea from !!! DH boss has grown up children!

however, ofsted never asked me if i was in rented or had permission to mind.

i know my landlady had to check that her insurance company were ok with my minding, which they were, and didn't charge her any extra, which i think is what was bothering her.

good luck x

stardust
01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I have been going through my training and have nearly finished. Got my local childminding co-ordinator coming in a couple of weeks to do a pre-ofsted visit and have been in touch with my landlord to get permission to use my house as a business premises.

Theyve said no.

What now? What do I tell my co-ordinator? I was advised by my housing advisor to get to later stages and apply. She's now phoned to say she has refused as someone else has already applied from my area and has been refused. This is because we have to have specially adapted toilets and noise(I said "what? I dont have a specially adapted toilet for my daughter!!") and it would be a bridge I would have to cross if someone with SEN came to me. As for noise, they should remove all the children from our area if that's the case and half the adults!!
Looks like Ive wasted my time with the training, the equipment Ive already got. Can I dispute it (if so, do I get their reasons in writing)?

Should I continue the training? I am hoping to buy our house in 2 years so it may not apply then. Can I get the qualifications and get the Ofsted inspection done when I persue it? What do I do? Ive put my all into it because I really wanted it and, well, I just dont know what Im going to do (jobwise), I had my heart set on it.

Hey hun,
I had a similar problem with my land lord so I wrote him the following letter.

Dear Mr Landlord (obviously i put his name but have taken it out to keep confidentiality),
Before signing my tenancy agreement I mentioned that I would like to possibly child mind in the next few months.
I understand that you are unsure of whether this would be acceptable so I have written this letter to outline a few points that may help you come to a decision.
1. I will only be able to care for a small number of children. As a carer I will be duty bound to ensure these children are well looked after and show respect to others property therefore they will not be permitted to cause damage to the fixtures and fittings of your property.
2. I will be inspected yearly (little lie) by a company called Ofsted who will only allow me to care for children if the property is in excellent condition and well looked after and clean. This will act as an extra gaurentee that I will abide by our signed agreement and that no damage will happen to your property whilst I am renting.
3. If I am allowed to child mind I will need to go through training, Inspections and tons of paperwork therefore I will be a long term tenant as I would need to undergo all of the inspection and paperwork process each time I move to a new property.
I hope the points I have made have given you a bit more of an insight to the child minding profession and all the red tape that I will have to go through in regards to the property. This would also be a relief to you as you would know that the property would need to be well looked after and in immaculate condition for me to comply with the details of my registration.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindest Regards
Tara

He said yes but I did put a bit about needing to relocate and notice ect.
I'm a good tenant, pay on time, no problems and I know we were the only people to look at the house in 9 months so they were hardly going to say no.

hth and good luck x

Mamma4Ya
02-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Theyve said no.

I am not familiar with Ofsted but here in Wales if we are not registered with the CSSIW within 2 years of training we have to retrain. So unless you know this to be different with Ofsted I would ask them.

But I personally would continue with training as you dont know what is around the corner and your circumstances may change enabling you to childmind. :)

charleeboo
03-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey hun,
I had a similar problem with my land lord so I wrote him the following letter.

Dear Mr Landlord (obviously i put his name but have taken it out to keep confidentiality),
Before signing my tenancy agreement I mentioned that I would like to possibly child mind in the next few months.
I understand that you are unsure of whether this would be acceptable so I have written this letter to outline a few points that may help you come to a decision.
1. I will only be able to care for a small number of children. As a carer I will be duty bound to ensure these children are well looked after and show respect to others property therefore they will not be permitted to cause damage to the fixtures and fittings of your property.
2. I will be inspected yearly (little lie) by a company called Ofsted who will only allow me to care for children if the property is in excellent condition and well looked after and clean. This will act as an extra gaurentee that I will abide by our signed agreement and that no damage will happen to your property whilst I am renting.
3. If I am allowed to child mind I will need to go through training, Inspections and tons of paperwork therefore I will be a long term tenant as I would need to undergo all of the inspection and paperwork process each time I move to a new property.
I hope the points I have made have given you a bit more of an insight to the child minding profession and all the red tape that I will have to go through in regards to the property. This would also be a relief to you as you would know that the property would need to be well looked after and in immaculate condition for me to comply with the details of my registration.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindest Regards
Tara

He said yes but I did put a bit about needing to relocate and notice ect.
I'm a good tenant, pay on time, no problems and I know we were the only people to look at the house in 9 months so they were hardly going to say no.

hth and good luck x

Thankyou!!!! I will write this and see what happens.

Ive just moved into a housing association house because my private landlord was quite strict and the house was no good for little kids (open stairs, no-where to fix a gate, inadequate heating and loads of other probs).
I think the problem is that its a new build and they dont want the house messing up but it wouldnt be any different to having lots of children of my own, apart from we get so much taken off our tax bill to fix things like that, so I dont know where they are coming from.

Anyway, going to write it and send it Monday, will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the support xx

stardust
03-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Thankyou!!!! I will write this and see what happens.

Ive just moved into a housing association house because my private landlord was quite strict and the house was no good for little kids (open stairs, no-where to fix a gate, inadequate heating and loads of other probs).
I think the problem is that its a new build and they dont want the house messing up but it wouldnt be any different to having lots of children of my own, apart from we get so much taken off our tax bill to fix things like that, so I dont know where they are coming from.

Anyway, going to write it and send it Monday, will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the support xx

No problem feel free to use and edit mine x
Good luck x

charleeboo
17-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you all ladies.

I sent the letter and (just yesterday), got a call to say they have reconsidered provided all my paperwork is in order!!! WOO HOO. :clapping:

Thank you all so much for letting me vent and giving me the help I needed. Took longer for them to decide than I first anticipated but, now, I can get on with things!!

Twinkles
17-11-2011, 09:35 AM
That's fantastic ! Wishing you all the best in your new career. :clapping:

PixiePetal
17-11-2011, 09:49 AM
brilliant - even landlords don't seem to understand that we are not running a nursery from home:rolleyes:

no different from a family with a few children - just more safety measures in place so even safer:thumbsup:

good luck with the rest

Jo Jo
17-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Thats fab news, good luck with setting up your business :clapping:

Tealady
17-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Excellent News!

I just think that sometimes people don't really get what Childminding is.

Goatgirl
17-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Really glad its worked out for you, well done for challenging their initial decision :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)