PDA

View Full Version : Please help Urgent!

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Had a mindee dropped off half an hour ago and he hasn't stopped screaming since.

He is 7 months old and has been coming to me everyday for 3 - 4 hours this month for his settling in ready for monday full time. Last week he wasn't here at all as I was on holiday

He got dropped off half an hour ago and he won't stop crying :( I can't entertain him, he isn't hungry and doesn't want his bottle, even cries when I hold him I don't know what to do. I don't want to phone mum up and tell him he isn't settling today

Going to go for a walk to see if that helps but he still cries in the pushchair so I don't know what to do

Tink
01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
If he is that unsettled I would phone Mum, there is no point letting him scream all day if he isn't happy. Phone mum and give her the option to come and stay with him a while see if he will settle with her being there and take it from there.
Hope your both ok x

The Juggler
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
try the pushchair hon, in the house maybe? also try music time, dance and sing with him?

Mouse
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd put him in the buggy for a little while, maybe in the garden (you sitting next to him).

My theory is that children often feel totally lost in a new setting/environment and being in a buggy gives them a sense of safety & security. They feel vulnerable, so giving them the comfort & support of a buggy gives them bit of protection. It also means that you can be in front of them ,so they can see your face straight on, rather than from an awkward angle if you're holding them.

Being in the garden often distracts them as well as there are lots of sights & sounds.

My other tactic is singing. I sing (very badly :blush: ) louder than they scream - the louder they get, the louder I sing. It's another way of distracting them. As they get quieter, I sing quieter until I'm using a soothing, comforting voice.

I have to be honest, I have never sent a child home because they were screaming ... and I have had some screamers over the years!

Penny1959
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
did mum say if he had had a good day yesterdays and a good nights sleep last night?

There is the possibility that mindee is a little under the weather / teething and so is finding everything a little bit harder to cope with - especially as had had a whole week without seeing you.

I to would try the pushchair and the singing / music - and also the fresh air either on a walk or in the garden.

Penny :)

~Grasshopper~
01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Has he clamed down hun,

In this situation i always go for a walk round the garden, seems to magically calm babies down and distraction is the best way if nothing else is wrong. they also seen to love my fish tank.

xxxx

newbie1512
01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I had the same thing 4 weeks ago when my mindee (7 months) started coming to me. Now she is a very happy little girl and a pleasure to have. Possibly just seperation that will get better in time:)

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
We have been for a walk and he was fine the however when coming b k home he hasn't stopped crying again

gegele
01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
i put a really soft blanket in car seat or chair and seat mindee in so she/he feels cocoon and secure to look around.

don't try to entertain too much as it may frighten him even more. chiledren just need the time to look and absorbe their new environment.

relax, chill, smile and breathe lol

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I've given him some toys and just leaving him to it for a little while but is it cruel to leave them crying? If he was my own I have no problem with it but he's not mine lol

He is screaming in the pushchair :(

Velleity
01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I personally wouldn't leave him by himself if he was upset. Perhaps leave him in the pushchair but sit next to him. Alternatively I'd be inclined to turn the TV on for a bit :blush: to distract.

marleymoo
01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
a baby i had preferred to be cuddled so that he was facing away from me. i guess it's so that he's getting the comfort but not having to face the fact that it wasn't his mummy cuddling him. odd i know but he's fine now.

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM
buggy and walking around the garden.
Give them a frozen ice pop or a frube, unopened to chew on incase its gums. To my shame i had to softly put my hand over my mindees scream today, my eardrums could not handle it as i tried to wipe his dinner off his hands! was flipping shrill.
I usually sit behind the buggy in the garden moving it a bit with my foot. Buggy is comfort but seeing people reminds a baby to cry for attention sometimes.
If it was my kids i'd try bed for 1/2 an hour!

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I put him in my single pushchair and walking him around and he fell asleep lol just woke up and he seems happier

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I put him in my single pushchair and walking him around and he fell asleep lol just woke up and he seems happier

and when you mention it, mum will say that baby was up from 4am with no nap so was knackered. how often does that happen??
thank goodness!

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 01:49 PM
He slept 10 hours last night and had a 2 hour nap before being droppe off with me lol. Must just be tired today!

The Juggler
01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
aww bless. glad you had a bit of a reprieve from the crying hon.:)

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Only a little, he has started again now :(

Carpet Monkeys
01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I had one like that - he was a year, I thought he didn't like the house, he was perfectly fine outside in the buggy.

I suggested to mum that she left a cardi or t-shirt with me that she'd warn the day before and whenever I could sense the screamin' coming I would pop the t-shirt beside him. He now holds his arms out to me when he comes round, it only took about 3 weeks at 2 days a week!

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
He was supposed to start full time on monday, we really needed this as we can't even afford our rent at the moment.

Mum has just informed me that she needs a change in days, from full time to two days per week now which is not even half of the money I was supposed to be getting.

I feel like packing up to be honest and getting a full time job

miffy
01-09-2011, 03:56 PM
He was supposed to start full time on monday, we really needed this as we can't even afford our rent at the moment.

Mum has just informed me that she needs a change in days, from full time to two days per week now which is not even half of the money I was supposed to be getting.

I feel like packing up to be honest and getting a full time job

How annoying - did she give a reason why she wants to drop the days?

Miffy xx

NicoleW
01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Financial reasons.

In the contract it says to give 6 weeks notice of termination of contract.

Now what will I do in this case? Shall I charge her 6 weeks of full time then after that it'll go down to those 2 days a week fees?

I'm confused