PDA

View Full Version : 1st Aid box inventory

balijay
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Have a week off this week so just bringing a few things up to date. This is what I have in my home 1st aid box:

Box of assorted plasters
Lge sterile wound dressing x2
Triangular bandages x2
Sml melolin wound dressings
Med adhesive wound dressings
Packs of sterile swabs
1 pk sterile absorbant gauze
Micropore tape
Roll of sterile dressing
Steristrips
Gloves and waste bags
Scissors
Paediatric 1st aid booklet

Then I have similar contents in my travel 1st aid kit, plus an insulating blanket, eye wash and after-bite pen.

Does this sound about right? Do I need something specific for burns? Also, how many of you have a resusitation aid? I'm thinking if I needed to give mouth-to-mouth I would just do it and not waste time fetching an aid!

Twinkle-Toes
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Hiya,

The wonderful Sarah707 provided the following on another thread.

HTH :thumbsup:

First aid box contents for childminders

This is the list I have written following my first aid training (June 2011).

The contents are recommended by Cheshire East trainers and are correct now.

• 1 x guidance leaflet
• 1 x Resusciade – face shield for CPR
• 20 x assorted wash proof plasters / self adhesive dressings - hypo-allergenic
• 2 x eye pad dressings with loop – must be sterile
• 4 x triangular bandages – individually wrapped and sterile
• 5 x small wound dressings
• 5 x medium wound dressings
• 2 x large wound dressings
• 5 x Melolin small low adherent dressings (5 x 5 cm)
• 5 x Melolin large low adherent dressings (10 x 10 cm)
• 1 x Micropore Tape - hypo-allergenic
• 2 or more pairs of single use disposable gloves – not latex
• 1 x scissors with rounded ends
• 5 or more gauze swabs (never use cotton wool or paper towels)
• 1 x finger bandage and applicator
• 6 x non-alcoholic wipes – must be non alcoholic as alcoholic ones sting and it may be against family religious beliefs to use alcohol
• 6 x assorted safety pins

Notes
For washing eyes or burns you should use sterile water. You must not use eye baths as they promote cross infection.

Tweezers are ok by Ofsted as long as they are not used to make the situation worse. However first aid trainers say no to their use. They suggest we include an old credit card in the kit for sliding out stings or splinters.

The only thermometer recommended by first aid trainers is an ear thermometer with a throw away end (discarded after single use). If other types of thermometer are used they should be either discarded after each use or a sterilising / cleaning log must be kept. It should be noted that other types of thermometer are not always accurate.

The First Aid kit must be packaged in a green box featuring a white cross – this is a requirement of the Health and Safety Executive. It must be easily located by adults and must not contain lotions, potions or creams.

Disclaimer - recommendations for contents change and I cannot be held responsible for the comments of other trainers.

balijay
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks Twinkle Toes and also Sarah! :D

Twinkle-Toes
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM
No probs :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you Twinkle-Toes :thumbsup:

Balijay - eye wash is not allowed because of risk of cross contamination - wash with water... after bite pens are a no no for childminded children - use water and recommend parents take to pharmacist for advice if itching... burns wash in water and take to hospital... resus aid yes it's important if you don't want to breathe in sick...

Hth :D

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Have a week off this week so just bringing a few things up to date. This is what I have in my home 1st aid box:

Box of assorted plasters
Lge sterile wound dressing x2
Triangular bandages x2
Sml melolin wound dressings
Med adhesive wound dressings
Packs of sterile swabs
1 pk sterile absorbant gauze
Micropore tape
Roll of sterile dressing
Steristrips
Gloves and waste bags
Scissors
Paediatric 1st aid booklet

Then I have similar contents in my travel 1st aid kit, plus an insulating blanket, eye wash and after-bite pen.

Does this sound about right? Do I need something specific for burns? Also, how many of you have a resusitation aid? I'm thinking if I needed to give mouth-to-mouth I would just do it and not waste time fetching an aid!

my last FA course said cling film is good for this and that we should carry a bottle of fresh water for cleaning dirt out of wounds. only water should be used for eye injuries too.

Beetlejuice
03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a proper sturdy face mask in my first aid kit at home and little fold up ones on a pouch on my key rings so I always have them on me (providing I remember my keys lol!)