PDA

View Full Version : Slow Reception class intake

funemnx
01-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Two of my small people are starting school next week. The parents all complain that the slow intake is nonsense as all of the children have been doing full days at Playschool/Nursery up until now and are used to it.

2 1/2 hours for the 1st week, 9 - 12.30 the second week, 11.30 - 3.00 the 3rd week (with no school at all on the Friday).

Some of the 4 year old's are only just 4 while some will just turn 5 so quite a big difference in ages.

Many parents I know think the termly intake is a better system

What do you think?

sandy64
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
our school used to do half days but have stopped now which is much better now kids go straight in and get use to it, my dd starts next week:)

LChurch
01-09-2011, 07:40 AM
My dd starts next Thursday and is part time for a whole month, she needs to be full time straight away as she is so bright. she also has to go to the dentist on the second day (was going to be her first day and I pleaded with them to find a different slot!) and so will only be at school for 2 hours, hardly worth taking her!

rachelle
01-09-2011, 07:59 AM
I used to teach reception and it is a very different day to nursery. The demands on the children are increased and the staff ratio is a lot lower - here it's 2 staff to 30 kids. All the kids who were full time at nursery were shattered by end of school day. It's like a settling in period for staff and kids too. I think my own 2 were part time for a term - used to come home after lunch. That's normal here - they are summer birthdays so were just 4 and a few weeks when they started! I seem to remember they stayed for lunch from the first day though.

singlewiththree
01-09-2011, 08:24 AM
My dd was just turned 4 (29th Aug) last year and she struggled. This year I would finally say she is ready. I believe that they should bring back the January intake as she really could have done with the extra time.

QualityCare
01-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I have 3 starting reception this term all different schools, 2 schools start all children all day straight away the other one staggers the children over the week but stay all day my mindee starts on the Friday.

caz3007
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
At our school its after half term before all the reception are full time, its rather long drawn out and the teachers only work mornings, until 12