PDA

View Full Version : No car and childminding ....

time_4_change
31-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi

I am just wondering if any of you out there childmind without the use of a car to get out and about? My husband will have our car for his work so i won't be using it which is fine by me as walking is much better for the children and myself :) ... my only issue is ... I have a son who is 14month and looking at having 2 mindees also under school age ... so wondering how I will get out and about? I was thinking double buggy and a buggy board, is this right and will it cover all ages under school age?

Sorry if i have babbled :rolleyes:

thanks

Leanne

JCrakers
31-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I dont have a car as I sold it a yr before I started minding. Hubbie has a company car that I drive out of work but they wont insure his car for my business and its not big enough to get all the kids in anyway.

I get around fine. Double buggy for ones that cant walk and a buggy board if needed for under 3's. Over 3's walk unless its a big walk and then I let them get on and off the board, but all are great walkers. My 2.5yr old mindee has become a very good walker.

All the children I look after are very good walkers now as they get used to the walking and have the stamina for it...its great.
The only time I miss the car is if its absolutly chucking it down or for outings that are further afield that we cant get to...other than that i love walking.

Becky

tulip0803
31-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi

For many years I did not use the car and walked everywhere (only needed a car when we moved to the country!). I used a double and ideally tried to make sure that I had at least one confident walker too (2 years +). A buggy board is a good idea. Should you ever need it they do also do triple buggies although these are expencive and I have not needed one.

Good luck:thumbsup:

kel1983
31-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I dont drive. But then I live only a 10 minute walk from the town centre with large enclosed park and live 3 minute walk from large prk area with playground. My mum has just started minding with me and she has a Zafira so we go out in that. She has found she uses her car less now though.

JCrakers
31-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I dont drive. But then I live only a 10 minute walk from the town centre with large enclosed park and live 3 minute walk from large prk area with playground. My mum has just started minding with me and she has a Zafira so we go out in that. She has found she uses her car less now though.

Yes..I too am lucky enough ot be a 15min walk from the town centre, 10 mins from the school and plenty of walkable parks. I do walk to a toddler group every monday that probably takes half an hour.

marnieb
31-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I have a Zafira, but only use it once a week for soft play outing, the rest of the time we walk as everything's in a max 15 min walk.

I think parents prefer it if you walk, los get the exercise and benefit of fresh air!!!!

time_4_change
31-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies ... feeling alot more confident about it now! Just better get some upper body strength, i stuggle pushing my 1yr old haha:blush:. I do live close to everything, town, park, library, swimming etc. I think 20-30mins tops for some things and schools (unfortunately for me there is a hill lol) If I go any further it will be using public transport anyway.

I am thinking double buggy and board but will have to see what ages I get first, just want to have some ideas so i am not in a total panic when the time comes.

Thanks

Leanne x

caz3007
31-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I dont drive and have minded 3 under 3 in the past, but all took a turn in walking, I only had a double buggy and sometimes put the two youngest in and sat my DS who was the oldest on top facing me. We used to get around fine. I live in close proximity to several parks, school is only 10 minutes and currently I only have one EYFS so we can go on the bus to town, the beach, extra parks if necessary

rachelle
31-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't drive - I've used a triple for a while but have now moved to a phil and teds with a strolli rider for any additional small people! My over 2s walk the 20 mins each way to school and back and we train or bus any other journeys. Lots of parks etc near us and train fron school to soft plays in both directions - wouldn't drive now I dont think.:)

PixiePetal
31-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I live in the country and don't drive

I walk to end of lane for village bus to town for groups - 20 mins ish, then another bus to farm park etc.

Most of the time we are at home - no point having all this countryside and not using it!

Parents are really pleased their children get to do a lot of walking - and they soon get good at it :thumbsup: as they can be in the car a lot with them

mushpea
31-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I like going for walks but always seem to end up with children who are not used to walking anywhere so have to train them up! I tend to make them walk short distances at first then build up how far they walk, the worst to moan are my own two who have always walkd places!!

Daisy1956
01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't have a car and have never found it a problem. we either walk or use public transport. On a day to day basis I use a buggy and buggy board and haven't had any problems, children have more time to watch what is happening around them and walking is good for us all. During holidays we have visits to seaside and other attractions using trains etc. Goggle train/bus timetables put in where you are going to and from and it does it for you.I usually print it off for parents and to put with RA most train station are easily accessible with the buggy.

The Juggler
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
i have never been able to use my car for minding (except occasional days in the holidays). I wouldn't even if could as parking permit bays everywhere :panic:

I have always had 2 babies and a walker or 2 walkers and a baby, use the buggy board with a single or double. you will be fine :)

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
i'm thinking of getting rid of my zafira actually and buying myself a lovely 2 seater sporty merc - no kids allowed. hey, i deserve it! cherry red bodywork with off white leather interior,mmmmm

time_4_change
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies ... Im currently looking around online at doubl buggy and will buy one when I know ages. I am hoping to pick one up 2nd hand to start with. I have a habbit of breaking prams :rolleyes:

x

time_4_change
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
marleymoo ... hope you enjoy your new car ... sound v nice :) x

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
ooooooh it is luv but it's only in my dreams. one day maybe, one day....

time_4_change
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
haha ... well i hope your dream comes true then ... I have a rubbish car, but it gets us from a to b :) .... but if i had money top of my list would be my dream home ... need to win that lottery!! x