PDA

View Full Version : Meals - I need help!

Minstrel
31-08-2011, 01:22 PM
When the kids go back to school, I've decided that i need to become much more organised for dinner time. DH has been to costco and picked me up some individual containers so that i can batch cook and make meals to freeze and then cook as and when needed. I think this is the key to reducing wastage and also my kitchen is not best placed for extended cooking and children who want to move around!

Only problem i have is coming up with meals i can freeze! So far i have

Spag bol (will cook the pasta on the day though)
Lasagne
Meatballs in sauce
Cottage pie
Fish pie

Does anyone have anymore ideas? Will also be using my slow cooker more in the winter but i only know how to make Stew in that!

I know, i know i'm a rubbish cook so basic menus only please :o

caz3007
31-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Casseroles, curries, pies using rollout pastry or just make the fillings and freeze and then pop a pastry top on when you heat it.

Dare I say it look on Netmums, I am sure they had a section on bulk cooking

lulubelle
31-08-2011, 02:05 PM
lots of annabel karmel recipes say if you can freeze them, i always just flick through her books or look on the website. netmums website is good too

Minstrel
31-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Will have a look at netmums thanks x

loocyloo
31-08-2011, 02:39 PM
i make risottos and freeze them. i know you have to be careful with rice, but i cool them fast once cooked, then freeze, and then zapp till scalding when needed!

i also freeze mash in portions ( i use an ice cream scoop LOL! ) and also portions of cooked meat from roasts etc, either on their own or with gravy.

i make and freeze currys and chili, usually cook the rice fresh, but as long as i cool it fast, freeze and then reheat to scalding, its fine.

mine like chili on tortilla chips! ( very easy fast meal if using a chilli made in advance! )

xxx

oh and a basic tomato ( and hidden veg ;) ) pasta sauce that can also be added to baked potatoes, noodles, anything!

mushpea
31-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I've just froze portions of my own tomato pasta sauce,, the best bit it is it only cost me the price of an onion as we grew the tomatos, garlic, cerlary and chilli that went in to it:D
I know its not freezing but how about jacket spuds one night,, they can either be left in the oven or microwaved then the kids can add their own toppings and have fun mashing them,
you could make and freeze soups, sausage or chicken caseroles, stews, chicken and mushroom pie,
I used to use my slow cooker loads and also things that can be left in the oven like battered fish with roast new potatos and beans etc

singingcactus
31-08-2011, 03:00 PM
There are a few hints and tips on here (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=440655) . It's not just about freezing whole meals, but freezing the time consuming aspects of making meals.

mushpea
31-08-2011, 03:01 PM
just seen what you said about your slowcooker
in mine I do chillis, bolognaise sauce, any type of casserole or stew,, last night I put in some lamb, tin of tomatos, celary, garlic, potatos and an onion and it was yummy plus the kids loved it cause I put the pot on the table and they helped themselves,, they had this with herb bread from our bread maker
I also do whole joints in mine,, I just put the meat in, no water or anything and it cooks in its own juices and always comes out lovley and moist,, you do have to be careful when reomving from slow cooker though as they cook so well the meat just falls off them,,, I then use the juices either to make the gravy with or freeze it as a base for a stew.

caz3007
31-08-2011, 05:02 PM
If you have a look at this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3316296

and go down a few posts, there are tons and tons of recipes, I plan on trying some. I am working less hours, so need to get our food budget right down, so going to be doing more home cooking

missymood
31-08-2011, 07:36 PM
If you have a look at this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3316296

and go down a few posts, there are tons and tons of recipes, I plan on trying some. I am working less hours, so need to get our food budget right down, so going to be doing more home cooking

Just what I was gonna write and also have loads of tips for saving money:thumbsup:

funemnx
31-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Cheesy pasta freezes well (with added chicken/bacon/veg) also fish cakes - you can pop them in the oven to cook, they actually cook better once frozen too!

PixiePetal
31-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I freeze cheese sauce for macaroni cheese in small tubs - just have to cook macaroni when ready :thumbsup: nicer cooked fresh

and frozen veg can be as good as fresh nutrition wise - sweetcorn and peas go down well. I also do mash in scoop portions, so much quicker if you are in a hurry than peeling spuds and mashing when kids about