PDA

View Full Version : imature talk in a 4yrold

mushpea
31-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I look after a 4yrold and have doen since he was 18months,, when he was younger his speach seemed to be developing fine but Inow realise his speach seems imature for his age, he still talks in what I would call baby talk,, I know thats not the right way to put it but cant think of any other way to call it,, he talks in a babyish voice and tone and his speach is more of a child that is 2yrs yet his understanding and knowledge is great,, he starts school this year and i have been trying to encourage him to talk with a more sutible tone and speach for his age,, for example he still says 'choo choo' instead of train and no matter how much I tell him he still calls them choo choos, i have even tried gently explaining that the other children wont understand him if he talks in this way,, not as in the speach being a problem but calling things by different names, he is not stupid by any means but I can see the other children taking the mick out of him at school if he dosent change,, I have spoken to mum about it and between her and the nursery he now has speach therapy but when I ask what the speach therapist has asked them to do with him they say nothing!
so does anyone have any suggestions on how i can help him devlop his speach and tone?

mama2three
31-08-2011, 09:02 AM
My mindee has just finished foundation , but when he was first with me I had exactly the same concerns - he still called poilcice cars 'nee naws' for example. He was a very 'young' 4 year old in his speech , and however many times I modelled the sentences he still reverted to his words / style / tone.

i have to say that a year on he has imporved no end , and tbh the other children at school didnt realy seem to notice all that much , certainly didnt tease him for example. I think just by being there and listening to the other children he has changed his habits , and of course he has grown up a bit too!

I wouldnt worry too much - just keep using the correct words and modelling and he will be fine. Maybe have a chat with his teacher if you can?

Mouse
31-08-2011, 09:26 AM
My mindee has just finished foundation , but when he was first with me I had exactly the same concerns - he still called poilcice cars 'nee naws' for example. He was a very 'young' 4 year old in his speech , and however many times I modelled the sentences he still reverted to his words / style / tone.

i have to say that a year on he has imporved no end , and tbh the other children at school didnt realy seem to notice all that much , certainly didnt tease him for example. I think just by being there and listening to the other children he has changed his habits , and of course he has grown up a bit too!

I wouldnt worry too much - just keep using the correct words and modelling and he will be fine. Maybe have a chat with his teacher if you can?

I agree with that. I would wait until he starts school and see what happens. My son had terrible speech when he first went into reception, but within the first month he had modified it & was talking properly. It was a combination of the other children not understanding him unless he spoke properly and just being around a lot of other children and hearing how they spoke.

He started in the Sept & by the Christmas he was doing the narrating for nativity play as he had the best speaking voice in the class :thumbsup:

JCrakers
31-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I would leave it until he goes to school. Maybe being with a lot of children his own age he may decide he wants to act older and change his speech.
My son used to say sn down his nose 'snow''snake' etc. but he only had a couple of sessions with a speech therapist and it was sorted.

A mindee who has just left for school says her s's whilst breathing in. I tried to get her to change that by practising s s s s but to no avail.
Maybe work with parents and teacher to monitor it. It will probably change with time but if not his sessions could carry on.
A lot of small children have problems with speech which are usually resolved quickly

Becky x

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 10:31 AM
this is obviously how he is spoken to at home - you're fighting a losing battle hun lol. i've been trying to get mindees to stop saying wa-er for water (never pronounce the 't' drives me bonkers) for yeeeaaars but it's how their parents say it too. :eek:
it's a little strategy parents adopt to keep their little treasures babies for just a little bit longer.