PDA

View Full Version : What is on your Walls?

jadavi
31-08-2011, 07:20 AM
I want to hang some good posters. Any recommendations what los seem to like? And where to buy them?
Cheers
Jac

mrs robbie williams
31-08-2011, 07:50 AM
hiya, i get posters from the 99p shop !!! they are A3 and laminated and I have days of the week, months of the year, numbers, healthy eating etc.
I also have my noticeboard and a string washing line with pegs on that i put the childrens artwork on while its drying and waiting to go home xx

kel1983
31-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I dont have posters on my walls. I live and work from my parents house and dont have a designated playroom so can't go randomly placing artwork on the walls. We have however got a mdf freestanding board placed around a glass display cabinet (made by my dad) which I put artwork and displays on. This board can be removed in the evenings and weekends.

Last week I bought an A4 9 pocket display hanger to place my certificates in and photos etc. This can also be removed.

Carol M
31-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Over the years I have collected loads of posters.
Poster size- numbers,alphabet, shapes, parts of body, colours, maths, skeleton, bugs, dinosaurs, halloween,christmas, welcome, languages, days, months,weather,lifecycles and more. I usually get from The Range or stationery shops.
I print and laminate loads and make number lines and display boards . You can download free resources from loads of sites.
Carol xx

Mouse
31-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I want to hang some good posters. Any recommendations what los seem to like? And where to buy them?
Cheers
Jac

I've removed all of my posters now after having done a bit of research on childcare environments. I realised that most posters are put up to make a place look nice from an adult's perspective and don't necessarily benefit the children. If fact, they're often at a height where children can't see them properly anyway. I now have plain white walls and have lowered my notice board to a height that children can see. Their art work goes on there, along with photos of them & their families, pictures they've brought in from home etc. It makes the environment more child centred :thumbsup: They now look at the notice board, whereas before they didn't give the posters a second glance.

AgentTink
31-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I have my posters about the world and farms animals and dinosaurs all at childs height, starting at the skirting board. My little girl loves moving any toys out of the way and sitting with her legs crossed looking at them.

The only problem is they already have a few little rips due to being touched by children but then we do work with children and i would rather the posters were well used then being pristine.

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 10:16 AM
i don't have any up at all

FussyElmo
31-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I've removed all of my posters now after having done a bit of research on childcare environments. I realised that most posters are put up to make a place look nice from an adult's perspective and don't necessarily benefit the children. If fact, they're often at a height where children can't see them properly anyway. I now have plain white walls and have lowered my notice board to a height that children can see. Their art work goes on there, along with photos of them & their families, pictures they've brought in from home etc. It makes the environment more child centred :thumbsup: They now look at the notice board, whereas before they didn't give the posters a second glance.

makes me feel better and there is a reason to support it. I dont put any posters up on my wall but I do put them on the doors of the toy unit :thumbsup:

And believe me you have to hunt for my reg certificate but it is on display :D

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 06:30 PM
what i do have though is my evacuation plan and house rules on the door directly opposite the toilet, at child on toilet height. i only just thought to mention it because one of my new 9 yr old mindees came and asked me today to test her on her knowledge of my setting. next week i'm putting up a list of household chores that mindees might like to do for me. think it will work?

missymood
31-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Drool, Snot, sticky paw prints:D

loocyloo
31-08-2011, 06:36 PM
what i do have though is my evacuation plan and house rules on the door directly opposite the toilet, at child on toilet height. i only just thought to mention it because one of my new 9 yr old mindees came and asked me today to test her on her knowledge of my setting. next week i'm putting up a list of household chores that mindees might like to do for me. think it will work?

good luck !!! its worth a try :laughing:

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 07:42 PM
God loves a try-er. i will let you all know how it goes eh? bet you're all doing soon :clapping:

Dragonfly
01-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Missmood your in my house :eek: drool snot etc!

I have two notice boards one in my porch the other in the playroom, I really dont want posters stuck all over my walls.The shop Hawkins Bazzaar do these nice plastic pocket hangy thingys (get my drift) you can put photo/ other things in and hang up and take down when you want at the end of the day/week.

Tink
01-09-2011, 06:38 AM
My kitchen walls were covered in posters until I went on some very interesting training about a child's environment.
I learned that as a childminder, parents and children are coming to us for a home from home environment and it is not necessary to have hundreds of posters all over the house.
The lady said "How many of the children's kitchens etc are covered in posters?" the reply was none!!!
She went on to say "children feel more secure when your house looks like a house and not a nursery, it's far too much for them to take in".
I decorated my kitchen recently and the only thing displayed in the kitchen now is the children's art work exactly the same as it would be in their house :)

Dragonfly
01-09-2011, 06:46 AM
I agree with that totally Hazeydayz.

rachelle
01-09-2011, 06:58 AM
nothing on front room walls (not even paint in some places!) Kitchen/diner has children's photos on one wall above toy unit - sort of highchair height and then paintings etc on one wall. One wall is my board - painted in blackboard paint and not really intended for kids use although those that can reach love it and then I have my festivals stuff from bits we've celebrated hung above back doors. It looked pretty much the same before I started minding except it was my kids art work and photos! (oh and no festival bits!)

miffy
01-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I have the children's artwork on display in the kitchen.

Anything else is at the children's height and I swop things round often so they don't get bored.

Miffy xx

Carol M
01-09-2011, 07:28 AM
I have the children's artwork on display in the kitchen.

Anything else is at the children's height and I swop things round often so they don't get bored.

Miffy xx

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My lo's regularly pull posters and things off the wall and I am worried about the risk of choking on the blue tack, what do you use to stick on walls and glass ?
Carol xx

Cammie Doodle
01-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I have an over door 8 A4 pocket thingy that hold any art work/ Month and anything relating to what we are doing that month, House rules in pics , I often stick things on side of toy storage (childrens height) and also on my french doors (have even painted windows in the past lol ) All are removable when I need/ want my dining room back

The Juggler
01-09-2011, 08:28 AM
only in my kitchen (which is eating/messy play area too). we have posters

a large body parts poster
fruit and veg poster
our house rules poster
ofsted complaints
my ofsted registration
my degree certificate
children's artwork