PDA

View Full Version : Innocent words?

berkschick
09-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I am still in shock at what J ( my before schoolie) said to me this morning! He has just turned 7.

We were walking to school and he said I think you should give my Mum her money back. I was taken aback and asked what money? He said well, me and my Mum cant afford a holiday because she has to pay you. You have already had a holiday so you should give the money back to my Mum so we can have a holiday too!

I have a 7 year old too and cant help thinking this was a little too well thought out to come totally from a 7 year old although I am sure Mum hasnt told him I should pay her back.

Blaze
09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
:eek: What did you say?

berkschick
09-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I said I didnt think his Mummy would want to work for nothing and neither do I! Then swiftly moved the subject on.

Blaze
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
:clapping:
Are you going to mention it to the Mum?

miffy
09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I think you answered him really well but I'd forget it now

Mentioning it to mum might open a whole new can of worms - best left imho

miffy xx

angeldelight
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I would also forget it now

Angel xx

littlewonders
09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I too think it is to thought out to come from a 7 years old. My DD is 7 and she wouldn't even understand that comment :laughing:
I would have been shocked to, I'd forget about it if I were you and look forward to the lovely upcoming weekend :D x

mrsb
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
:eek: flippin heck lol

I would guess he has been on and on at his mum for a holiday and she's just said off the cuff, we can't afford to go etc etc.

I wouldn't be able to leave it though, I'd have to drop it in a conversation with her some how:o :laughing:

sarah707
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I got this a lot from the brother of one of my mindees.

It seems when he asked for something new, parents used to tell him they couldn't afford it as they had to pay me... so he then moaned at my son!

I had a quiet word and nipped it in the bud!

Too much information to be giving a child! :eek:

Banana
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Mum obviously doesnt think about what little ears pick up on !

How rude though!!

You gave a good answer back :)

x

Pipsqueak
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
It does seem a little contrived doesn't it.:eek:

I must admit I have said before to the kids oh we can't afford xxx because of xxxx though. And Harry being Harry has then proceeded to tell the world that!!! (mind you he was 4 or thereabouts at the time!)

Don't know if I would mention it to Mum but I think you handled it really well:thumbsup:

berkschick
09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I wont see Mum till Monday morning. I dont know if I will mention it or not, I wasnt upset just shocked lol

Just goes to show you have to be so careful what you say to them!

wendywu
09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
No i would not bother about it, the two six year olds that i have would come out with that sort of thing off their own backs. It was just an off hand comment from a parent about not being able to afford a holiday to stop a child going on and on. I bet the child decided in his own mind that if you gave the money back they COULD go on holiday.:)

disney
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
i have had a similier thing when my mindee & mum told me she cant afford me .but she has just had a 2 week hol in florida & drives a top of the range sports car but i said well if you cant afford me then we will end the contract . but no mum didnt want to i wonder why :rolleyes: x

haribo
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
its annoying isnt it its like the other day an 8 year old i mind said to me "dads at home today but cos hes got to pay you i might as well come here!!! its just not respectful at all . i hate the thought of the kids being in on discussions about my pay. once a little lad came to my door and thrust money at me and said"heres your 60pounds off my dad! i was really livid . didnt do anything about it though, :angry:

disney
09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
my mindee who is 7 gives me my pay every mon morning i have always hated this as i think parents should be doing it. and yes she comes to me also if her mum is of .i dont mind her coming as thats what they pay for but i dont like it when the child says i have to come because my mum has payed for it :angry:

Alibali
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Never work with animals or kids!!! It's actually quite funny when you think of it, mum would be mortified, but I'm sure we've all said things infront of kids that with hindsight we shouldn't have. Poor little mite though, I tell my kids I have to work so we CAN have holidays and the likes. I would let it be and have a good chuckle about it further down the line.

ali x

Gherkin
09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Parent give children too much information.

I am minding a 10 yo after school and he knows exactly what is being paid to me which really annoys me. He'll say my mums paid you £xxxx this month and I jsut say that my earnings are none of his business and it is between me and his mum. I'm sure his mum is diddling the tax credits people as well. :mad:

Cazz
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
My 10 year old dd has radars for ears but they don't always process the information correctly! We have to wait until she is outside or in bed or else talk in code if we wish to discuss something private!

I think it is probably a case of the boy himself working out that he could put the blame on you for being unable to have a holiday. Perhaps he's hoping you will mention it to mum so she has a guilt-trip and relents - they're very sneaky these kids!

Carole x