PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance question

buzzy bee
30-08-2011, 07:18 PM
My mum is registered as my assistant but doesn't have business use on her car or anything...

I mind a friend's child, and was wondering if she'd be able to drive the mindee with the friend's permission (I'm sure my friend would be fine with it).

sarah707
30-08-2011, 07:49 PM
If a childminded child is driven by a childminder or assistant without class 1 business insurance then it is illegal.

Hth :)

muffins
30-08-2011, 07:54 PM
My last inspector said my assistant could drive MY children without it, so thats what we do:thumbsup:

buzzy bee
30-08-2011, 08:15 PM
If a childminded child is driven by a childminder or assistant without class 1 business insurance then it is illegal.

Hth :)

Oh :( even if it's a friend?

tulip0803
30-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh :( even if it's a friend?

Whether the parent is a friend or not is irrelivant if you are being paid to childmind them.

Can your Mum not add business to her insurance - it didn't cost me anything to add it.

Mamma4Ya
31-08-2011, 07:01 AM
I was under the impression that mindees were not allowed to be left alone with an assistant anyway, or am I wrong?? :confused:

buzzy bee
31-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I was under the impression that mindees were not allowed to be left alone with an assistant anyway, or am I wrong?? :confused:

It says on my certificate that they can be left alone with her - I think they can only be left alone with an assistant if they have their pediatric first aid (which she does).

I will be there in any case... it's just that I don't have the car...

So if my mum gets business use would that cover her? As it's not actually her business?!

I'm confused too!

Coco
31-08-2011, 10:06 AM
When I phoned my car insurance company, I was told that I didn't need to have business cover to be a childminder. (the call and details should have been recorded with my policy) I am going to look into it further but they even spoke to the underwritters to confirm I didn't need it.

lulubelle
31-08-2011, 02:10 PM
i have been told you def need bussiness use for carrying children that are minded and fine for assisstants to be left alone as long as they have all the checks and first aid. my hubby will be doing a school run for me as i have 3 diff schools!

tulip0803
31-08-2011, 03:00 PM

The rules are different in England. In Wales you cannot leave an assistant alone with children.

tulip0803
31-08-2011, 03:03 PM
When I phoned my car insurance company, I was told that I didn't need to have business cover to be a childminder. (the call and details should have been recorded with my policy) I am going to look into it further but they even spoke to the underwritters to confirm I didn't need it.

You must be covered for business use on your car insurance if you are planning to carry children in the car otherwise you could be under insured. If they say thet you do not need it ask for it in writing because I have always had business cover and have had it checked by OFSTED and CSSIW inspectors at inspections.

Coco
31-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I always had business cover while I was a nanny. I will call them back, I'm not working as a CM yet so I have time to do it. If they still say I don't need it then I will get it in writing. Thanks