PDA

View Full Version : DOES ANYONE LIKE EYFS?

jadavi
30-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I was wondering after all the moaning and complaining that goes on about it. if anyone actually likes the EYFS schema and benefits from the structure and if you feel it genuinely underpins and supports your work with los?

Penny1959
30-08-2011, 06:09 PM
On the whole - I do like it - some silly bits in it but it is a supportive document and with the CD has loads of really useful stuff.

What I don't like is the rumours that spread like wildfire - and often from Early Years teams / college tutors / and even Ofsted.

Many have lost the plot - and are making things far more difficult for themselves than they need to.

I have seen it myself - one cm gets an outstanding and everyone wants to put in place whatever it is that cm has in the way of paperwork etc - completely missing the point that a system that works for one cm may not work at all for another - and more importantly with EYFS there are lots of 'right' ways - and lots of compleyely different systems / ways of working that could all be judged as outstanding.

I am really pleased that I have been given the opportunity to meet with the DfE on 10th September (along with others) to discuss the revised EYFS and to be able to put the view of childminders.

If anyone reading this post would like to make a comment about the revised EYFS - please PM me as the DfE have said they will welcome views of my colleagues.

Penny :)

sarah707
30-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I like the way it has professionalised childminders and given us a more even playing field with nurseries etc.

I don't like the way lots of childminders try to do too much and worry about it all the time :(

I think there should be better information so we are all told the same thing. However in the main I think it's good :D

The Juggler
30-08-2011, 10:01 PM
i like it (maybe not all the paperwork but I do min. of what I need to prove I do what I do). i like the principles and they emphasise all the learning an ddevleopment principles I learned on my early years degree so I understand how important they are.

I like the fact that the requirements mean that minders who never did anything with the mindees before now have to do SOMETHING to prove to ofsted that they are meeting the bare min. requirements. They are still in Primark, Starbucks and toddler groups most of the time but they are doing a wee bit more :rolleyes: :panic:

Bluebell
31-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I like the way it has professionalised childminders and given us a more even playing field with nurseries etc.

I don't like the way lots of childminders try to do too much and worry about it all the time

I think there should be better information so we are all told the same thing. However in the main I think it's good

I like it too - i think it gives structure and inspiration and a professional image to childminders, most of whom would do (should do!) a range of activities and crafts and so on for children in there care anyway.
What I find difficult is the paperwork side of it - not because I feel under pressure to keep up with others or be the same as others but because I want to demonstrate what i do to Ofsted and communicate with parents.
The communication with parents I feel is easier because you can take pictures of what you do with the child and a picture speaks a thousand words and you can say it comes under CD if its craft and a parent would be happy with that.
HOWEVER, Ofsted might want you to narrow it down to 'exploring media and materials' and they might expect you to demonstrate that you know that the child has achieved a 'development matters' stage eg 'the child can differentiate marks and movements on paper' and then also go on to say what you want the child to achieve next and what activity you are going to provide to help that child achieve it ie show your planning.

Also if you are providing continuous care for 2 or 3 children, providing activities, outings, crafts, and clearing away from these crafts and meals and so on - how are you to do all this written paperwork? I do it in my spare time and spent most of my bank holiday catching up on it! Surely that is not quite right but again as a newbie I am concentrating on looking after my mindees and perhaps can settle into a better system soon!

As a new childminder I am striving to be the best at what I do but I find it quite overwhelming to know how to achieve this for sure!!
I think what I am trying to say is, yes there is different ways of doing things and certain things work for certain childminders but also there is conflicting information of what is EXPECTED from Ofsted. One might get a 'good' and have very little written evidence and another might get a satisfactory because they are been told they need more written evidence!!

Hope that makes sense!

georgie456
31-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I like it.

For the reasons others have already stated above really. It has improved my working practice no end.

I do think there needs to be more in depth training on how to use it daily as new childminders seem to just be handed it and told to get on with it.
It took me a long time to get head around what was actually expected of me but now I 'know' it, it's great!