PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Child

BuggsieMoo
30-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi All
Mum has emailed me today to say her LO has been ill since Sunday with a temperature of 40 and is on ibuprofen. Has seen a nurse and does not appear unwell (i..e no rash etc) by this temperature and being groggy and sleeping for 15 hours (LO is 18 months). Mum has asked if I can have LO tomorrow for LO's normal hours.
I have responded that as LO has a temp so high I personally feel that she should be kept at home. My policy is 38 as long as control by calpol, non contegious and child is all right in themselves - i.e a headache.. I have said that if LO improves today and temp comes down to below 38 then I am happy to have LO tomorrow as long as LO is right in themselves. Afterall a child sleeping for 15 hours is going to have a huge impact on others in the setting, not to mention any bugs LO may or may not be carrying.
Do you think I have done the right thing?
Lisa

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 03:14 PM
absolutely but tell her to remain contactable because if child becomes more unwell throughout the day then she should expect a call from you or she should put somebody on standby to get there to collect. you do have other LOs to think about afterall and she should understand this.
by noon the calpol and ibuprofen will have worn off and i bet you're making that call LOL

sarah707
30-08-2011, 05:56 PM
High temperatures are a hard one because they are often viral and not catching.

If the child can join in the normal daily routine then I usually have them back but if all they want is to be at home in bed then that's where they should be.

I hope lo improves soon :D

BuggsieMoo
30-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Mum has emailed to say LO has improved to the stage that the temp has broken, although is still out of sorts. She has asked if I can have her - even if she wants to sleep in her travel cot for the majority of her time here.
I have agreed as I am off work on Thursday and Friday anyway so it is just one day and I have said that it is fine BUT she must send LO with calpol/ibuprofen, must sign a permission form before she leaves and on collection of LO and if I feel at any time LO is not well enough to stay then she must have either herself, husband or a nominated person available to pick up the LO. I can plan a day in the house and garden with a walk out when LO gets up to give her fresh air - she is still in a pram so not a huge problem. I have stressed though that if LO goes downhill again in between now and tomorrow am then she is to be kept at home. Will have to see how it pans out now - mum is very good and has kept her off when she has been ill so im guessing its just viral.
Thanks all
Lisa x

miffy
30-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't think you can do any more than you've already done - you won't know for sure how lo is until you see her tomorrow.

It sounds as though mum has been up front with you and understands she needs to arrange for lo to be collected if she takes a turn for the worse.

Just hope it's nothing catching!

Miffy xx

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Mum has emailed to say LO has improved to the stage that the temp has broken, although is still out of sorts. She has asked if I can have her - even if she wants to sleep in her travel cot for the majority of her time here.
I have agreed as I am off work on Thursday and Friday anyway so it is just one day and I have said that it is fine BUT she must send LO with calpol/ibuprofen, must sign a permission form before she leaves and on collection of LO and if I feel at any time LO is not well enough to stay then she must have either herself, husband or a nominated person available to pick up the LO. I can plan a day in the house and garden with a walk out when LO gets up to give her fresh air - she is still in a pram so not a huge problem. I have stressed though that if LO goes downhill again in between now and tomorrow am then she is to be kept at home. Will have to see how it pans out now - mum is very good and has kept her off when she has been ill so im guessing its just viral.
Thanks all
Lisa x

good for you, i'm impressed,x

BuggsieMoo
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks all. Well the update is when she came LO was her usual happy self. Had had no calpol in the morning and did not need any until the early afternoon when she was a little grizzly and temp went to nearly 38. Gave her that and put her for an afternoon nap and she stayed all day. She happily took part in activities, ate well and was a diamond to have.
Lisa

marleymoo
02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
oh i am pleased,x