PDA

View Full Version : nervous about the start of year ahead

newandlearning
30-08-2011, 12:30 PM
hi all..

I have taken on one new family during the summer for sept onwards which is going to work out well I think.. but I'm still feeling nervous as I'm not completely sure I can live on the income from just two families.. especially as one family are working on a rota basis which is changable depending on work needs etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else is finding they are starting sept on a kinda quiet basis..?

.. I've just had a very busy summer of 6 kids on 2 days a week and I now realise I really enjoy those busy days and feel a kinda come down now I'm going to be working in a more 'bit-ty' part-time kids basis.

I feel like I'm dreading this unknown period of income.. and of course a significant income drop as my summer and hols are much busier than my normal days.. :panic: :panic: :)

JennyM
30-08-2011, 12:49 PM
That side of this job is the worst part I think, not being sure of how much money you are going to make. Also, the clients I do have could give notice at any time and that worries me too!

Just try and keep yourself busy at quiet times, catching up on paperwork etc and hopefully another family will come along soon.

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 01:48 PM
i am quieter in the hols, which is how i want it so i can spend time with my own son, neice and nephew. i have some term time only kids, which is great as i get a retainer and all of my under 5's leave at 3 so i deliberately let my income drop but boy do i have a nicer hol.
i'm busy again from the 5th sept, 2 new full time starters, existing part time kids moving into full time places due to rising 5's going to f/t school. i'm dreading it

funemnx
30-08-2011, 02:15 PM
August has always been my busiest month with extra children coming and also my schoolies off as well as my usual under 5's.

Financially, I know I'll earn extra that month so book the car in for MOT and service etc. so I know I can pay for it!

At least if you know it's going to be quiet you can plan - maybe a parent could change days, so when are working, it's busy and you can have full days off to 'get things done'?

So tired by September - I have a week off to recover!! :laughing:

sarah707
30-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I put money away for quieter months like the holidays when I know I am going to take a dip and be on hol myself and not earning.

I do regular budgets and work out exactly how much I need / what I can save then give myself a contingency for unexpected bits and bobs.

The rest goes in savings for when things are quieter.

If you do a budget you will see what you actually need to earn and whether you need to top up with a second job or get advertising etc.

Good luck with it all :D

newandlearning
31-08-2011, 03:50 PM
thank you ladies for your replies..

I think I need to do a more in depth budget analysis than my basic spreadsheet so I can figure out all those extra costs which I don't always equate into my day to day living.

sometimes its a bit shocking how much money is needed to live especially with two growing kids and one income.. ;) :)